Author Topic: Come and get your giftwrapped starships!!!!  (Read 39017 times)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Come and get your giftwrapped starships!!!!
Originally posted by TMC
Me? Well, I've been in the community since FS2 came out... my name was Greywolvesleader (on sectorgame) and my name here was 67 GW leader or something... but I forgot my password, so I went "meh" and started a fresh.

PS: After downloading all this FS2_open stuff and enhancements... FS2 is making my cry with joy.

PPS: Thanks for the welcome Setkth... but those bfgreens hurt like hell, I'll have you know.

You know there's a "Password Forgotten" link, right? :p
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline TMC

• http://anime-haven.org
I do indeed.

However, it's been a long while since I logged in with that name, so I can't remember how I spelled it. (I'll go check just the now) and I think my email adress has changed like 4 times since I was last here.

Whee, I managed to salvage my old persona. :ha:

Anyway, with the help of omni, I managed to get the pack working. (I hadn't downloaded the akira class, which contained the phasers and photons... hehe...) Great job, dude. Peregine is a beauty to fly like a madman. :)
"I swear, if I get caught in some little nook or some little crannie the next time that ship jumps to warp, I'll kill something." - Me, ten seconds after being caught infront of the fighter bay of an orion.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Ahh, that's more familiar. Welcome back. ;)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
yeah, he has a custom title and everything
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Hehe, nice one. Now stop walking on me.:lol:
"I swear, if I get caught in some little nook or some little crannie the next time that ship jumps to warp, I'll kill something." - Me, ten seconds after being caught infront of the fighter bay of an orion.

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
My God, excellent work with all the new Star Trek texture, gang. To quote a phrase:

"Impressive. Most impressive." :drevil: :thepimp:
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

For the reference of those wishing to combine
Sigh* I've been spending my Friday combining ALL of these packs together, the Earth_V1 one contains table data for apparently all ships released prior to it, so I am combining them in this order. This list will make it easy for people to know the order without having to read this thread over and over from start to finish. These are in order of post in this thread.

Akira
Sovereign
Galaxy Beta
Defiant Class
DefiantV2
DefiantFix
Bugship
BugshipFix
Bugship2
BOP
BOPFix
GreenTorp
Peregrine
Peregrine1_2
Danube
Vorcha
Raider
Spacedock
SpacedockV2
Steamr*
SteamrDDS
Earth_V1
Earth_Med
Earth_Uber
EarthTest.fs2
EarthMarsSB

*at the end of all this, Steamr data won't be in ships.tbl anymore (after installing the Earth parts). to get Steamr back, open separately the ships.tbl included with Steamr, and copy the "USS Appalachia" to the final ships.tbl you ended up with after all the copying.

Dammit...
OFFTOPIC ---- if any FSO people are reading this, for the love of terrans, modding, vasudans, shivans, vulcans, and green people with 7 arms, SEPARATE SHIPS.TBL INTO ONE TABLE FILE PER SHIP, not one for all ships. Volition's ships.tbl is driving me INSANE!!!!! Seriously, doesn't it make a lot more sense to have files separated for each ship, rather than have one bloated file that is hard to update?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2004, 03:26:21 pm by 1644 »

Thanks alot Gregster!!! I've been so busy with school and an upcoming open studio exhibition. I"m NOT dead folks. I have a barage of ships on its way once I get done securing my fine arts career.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
"We've got a barage of incoming fire from the enemy sir.  They appear to be firing... MY GOD!!! They're firing SHIPS at us!!"
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Heh...in case anyone's wondering im NOT going to offer this combined pack I've created, for download. Reason being, the thing is bloated at over 100MB and even if i compress it I doubt I'll have the webspace or the time (even at DSL speeds) to upload that thing anywhere...

Make it yourself people, not hard just very tedious...Omni kinda made some of the folders not match up properly, so be very careful with those DATA directories!

:D
« Last Edit: April 11, 2004, 05:51:31 pm by 1644 »

I apologize for the head aches people. I'm not so experienced with being a one man team with this kind of a project. Every other project has a team of folks who are well organized. I was and still am obsessed with just getting the conversions out to this community, that organization became less paramount. Summer vacation is coming up soon, so prepare yourselves for another barrage of Trek ships and better organizations.

Until then, please bear with me, or HELP ME with this project.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by Gregster2k
I doubt I'll have the webspace or the time (even at DSL speeds) to upload that thing anywhere...
Webspace = Fileplanet or Swooh.  Time = overnight. :nod:

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
What help do you need, Omni?

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
would helping to package all ships released thus far into a single .vp file help?

Edit: never mind, its been done as above, so no need.
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Basic prioritizing and organizing of model conversions, hardpointing, and release. There are so many elements in a Trek  release, from weapon effects, sound effects, balanced hardpointing...etc.

I've spent so much time just converting/modifying/remaking the Bridge Commander models/textures (there are so much more to convert). There are other areas that deserve as much attention and time such as deciding the canon features of each ship which is another research job that takes hours to do and hours to implement and MORE hours to revise for balance.

Proper release structure is another issue. Many of these ships would go through revisions that require TBL overhauls and texture replacements. I do not know the best way to release a ship that is easy to update without confusion. TBL stats are difficult enough to keep changing.

All these models are basically useless unless missions are designed for them. All my efforts are put into conversion and polish. With the time I have left, I just whip up quick missions that are devoid of any complexity that it deserves.

I just wish there was already an existing team for a Trek Conversion project so I could just concentrate on getting the ships out there and let others handle its TBLs, missions, and organized releasing.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Yeah, you need a manager. :p Well, ask if anyone wants to start up a TC project with you. :)

Danube Runabout v2.0
Model/Textures - Sean Kennedy
Mesh Modifications - me

I've been busy with school lately its tough keeping up with you folks. Anyways I'm finishing up on some weapons placement on this baby. I don't care if she's small, she deserves all 11k polys.

Old....

New....

Version 2
http://www.penguinbomb.com/omniscaper/DanubeV2.rar

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Sweet, though with things like that I can't help but woder if the polycount could be halved without noticable effect. After all, like you said, she's small. :p

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Indeed. I apologise, but I can't see enough difference to justify dropping 60 FPS on one ship alone. ;)
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.