Author Topic: Come and get your giftwrapped starships!!!!  (Read 39012 times)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Come and get your giftwrapped starships!!!!
Actually, the bussard ram scoops needed the improvement (am I a geek or what? :p), but the rest looked very reasonable. :)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Heh...not even my brand new Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB DDR can handle the test mission with lots of ships flying around a starbase in orbit around the hyper-realistic earth model...well...it can...but...when the earth model is in view framerate becomes very unstable. I'm using the UBER textures, but hey, I love uber textures...heeheeeee...seems to have lots of z-fighting on the earthmodel though, flickering clouds and all. still having problems finding a build that renders dem skyboxes perfectly...skyboxes rule, no framerate drop with perfect-looking earth clouds...mmmmmmmm...do these things have LOD models?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2004, 04:56:33 pm by 1644 »

Well. its nice to see that a 6 year old game can do that to a current gen video card. No LOD's though, so sorry. If anything, these Trek releases are benchmark worthy.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Omni, what're your specs again?
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Originally posted by Omniscaper
Well. its nice to see that a 6 year old game can do that to a current gen video card. No LOD's though, so sorry. If anything, these Trek releases are benchmark worthy.

HAHAHAHAHA...imagine that, if FSO gets "perfect" enough, people could use the high-res-uber-textured Omniscaper ship tests to benchmark their cards against one another...rofl...FSOMarks anyone? ;7 :nod:

Xeon P4 2.66ghz (single CPU) 533mhz bus
Supermicro x5dal-g mobo
1gb Crucial PC2100 ddr ram
Ati Radeon 9500 pro 128mb ddr (agp 8x)
Audigy 2

I built it for video editing purposes and CG media creation. Of course game play is the icing on the cake. I do weep that the high-end consumer grade CPU's now support hyperthreading and have an increased in bus bandwith with their 800 mhz. And its cheaper too. Of course I have the option of plugging in another CPU, an option unavailable to many mobos.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Ahh, cool. So aside from the sheer power of the CPU, my (future) new system should get higher performance all across the board.

Athlon XP 3000+ 400Mhz FSB
1Gb PC3200 DDR400
ATi Radeon 9800 Pro (the Hightech / HIS brand - just look at the cooling system on that baby!

Keep in mind, there are different kinds of performance.

For a gaming rig, its all about realtime bandwidth (mobo bus + memory speed) and multiple processor power (cpu+gpu+spu).

Video editing and CG media creation, its all CPU and what ever specialized card can do to help (matrox or Quadro)

Be aware that ATI and Nvidia got new stuff coming very soon. www.3dchipset.com

I'll try and see what I can do regarding actually RELEASING the multiship pack. Right now, I've got everything in the pack EXCEPT for the latest Danube that Omni just uploaded and the pack is also missing all Steamrunner data (easily fixable). The main bugger that's getting me is the photon torps' glow images are offset from the actual red torp model and I don't remember them being offset when I first started working with these models.

Favored FS2_Open build is fs2_open_env2 (Environment Mapping build version 2).

Also, I installed the EarthMarsSB (Skyboxes) test missions but only Mars works, Earth doesn't. I'm pretty sure I was the one who screwed it up somehow, but I'm not sure.

Omni, what is your favorite testing build for your ship pack? Can you point me to it? (i'll look thru this thread just in case, but....)

Also, I'm going to be making the Mega/Uber textures be the default texture sizes. Other texture sizes will be provided with zips.

Don't expect it to happen very soon, though, as 1) I'm lazy, 2) I got lots of schoolwork to deal with these days, 3) I hate fileplanet a LOT and if Swooh is even remotely similar...RRGGGGGHHHH! :)

I still wish ship tables were for individual ships not one huge megafile. or at least, i wish we could have additive tables, table files that, when activated as a mod, are added to -- or temporarily override the entries of the FS2 main ships.tbl...

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
This is a great thread, but it's time for it to be unstickified. :)

So you posted in it why? ;) // Sandwich
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
So people would know where it went :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Too much

new torps, but a question
I got my torpedoes from retail Trek into SCP Trek. I think they look good. Here is a screenshot, it does look better in game keep in mind.

My only question is HOW can I make the pic smaller? reducing image size helps to make the trop crisper as it bunches the pixels together BUT it doesn't really reduce the effect of the size, like I can do with the torps in retail as there thery are primaries and you edit size in the table???

The Galaxy is firing red photons, the BOP is using Klingon/Rom Green, adn the Bug is firing Quantums.

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/getter_robo_g_2004/detail?.dir=/a628&.dnm=632b.jpg

thoughts? (Especially from you Omni?)

BTW Can I use your Peregrine fighter, and BOP (wings down)?, they work great in retail (though I need to test the Maquis Raider), I would like to use that too cause in reality it's just a texture change from the one I am using now... (my textures as too BLUE) your are more "used"...

ALSO I LOVE your shield meshes!!! They're GREAT!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2004, 05:25:03 pm by 622 »
Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide target selection !

ICQ#: 5256653
[email protected]

Projects: Gundam TC, Trek BTFF, REF, and Beyond Redemption
http://photo.starblvd.net/Star_Dragon

I am just a transplant artist. All these models were made from scratch by those I've credited in the readme.txt's. As long as its original creators are credited, I'm allowed to use them. That goes for anyone else who would like to canibalize these models.

Update:

Scotchy's final Galaxy model in the smoothgrouping phase now. I'm having difficulties organizing smoothgroups for this one. I normally handly the smoothing in Max. Any tips wopuld be helpfull.

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by karajorma
So people would know where it went :D

Indeed. ;) Inexplicably disappearing threads are A-4 Annoying. ;)
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by Omniscaper
I am just a transplant artist. All these models were made from scratch by those I've credited in the readme.txt's. As long as its original creators are credited, I'm allowed to use them. That goes for anyone else who would like to canibalize these models.

Update:

Scotchy's final Galaxy model in the smoothgrouping phase now. I'm having difficulties organizing smoothgroups for this one. I normally handly the smoothing in Max. Any tips wopuld be helpfull.

*bump* Not enough people saw this. :)

That model is movie-worthy. Hands-down. Send Scotchy kudos. ;)

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
Cool:)
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
saw it last time already....MOST IMPRESSIVE
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

OK folks... I really need help with this one. I just spent days completing the smoothgroups for this model in 3dsmax. All that effort seems to have been made in vain the second I exported it to a .3ds format. Its not Truespace's fault either. I opened the same .3ds file in max and ALL my smoothgroups are MESSED UP. Does the .3ds format allow the use of smoothgroups?

This is REALLY getting annoying. I'm ready to compromise by NOT making this model a single integrated mesh and making all 22 smoothgroups seperate meshes to to keep the shading correct. It will definitely be an INEFFICIENT model and HT&L will be effected.

Can someone point me to a good tutorial for creating smoothgroups in TRUESPACE (I hate this program).

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
It's a limitation of the .3ds format I believe.

Can you get to truespace via another format? (Even if you have to use lith or 3D exploration).
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]