Author Topic: Come and get your giftwrapped starships!!!!  (Read 39013 times)

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Come and get your giftwrapped starships!!!!
yeah, 3ds files supports smoothgroup, so I don't know the problem.
ANyway, I should point out that no matter what you do, PCS will put an autosmooth at 45° ( ar at least that's what woomeister told me ), so...
Btw, You're not forced to have 22 smooth groups, just put together parts that are not physically connected, and give them the same one.
SCREW CANON!

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
Originally posted by Nico

ANyway, I should point out that no matter what you do, PCS will put an autosmooth at 45° ( ar at least that's what woomeister told me ), so...

that's right (almost) but at least it'll fix the shadings errors that comes by applying a general shader to a complex mesh.

To apply a smoothgroup you'll just need to select the faces and paint them using a different shaders. No more, no less:p
Pcs convert only faceted and autofaceted
Modelview convert only smooth and faceted
if the model will give some faceted shadings using specular effects you may want to try the internal converter of modelview

Where can i download a packaged version (with all stuff in it)?
My Sytem

Wer das liest ist doof!

Hello??:nervous:

No answer? :(
My Sytem

Wer das liest ist doof!

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
As far as I know, there isn't one, unfortunately. You'll need to do a bit of table combining I'm afraid.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Originally posted by Nico
yeah, 3ds files supports smoothgroup, so I don't know the problem.
Btw, You're not forced to have 22 smooth groups, just put together parts that are not physically connected, and give them the same one.

If 3ds supports smoothgroups, then why do I always lose them?

Truespace kills it.

BTW, when did this thread get resurrected?

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Blame Overlord.
It doesn't show my smoothing groups in 3d exploration as a 3ds. *sigh* I need to get the Max plugin to work.

@Omniscaper: When do you plan to make a packed version?

BTW, sorry i'm really interested in and i don't want to make a new thread about it.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2004, 06:23:42 am by 2136 »
My Sytem

Wer das liest ist doof!

Dude, its cool. Sarcasm is tough to convey with text. I'm just surprised that Trek still has some of its fanbase lurking around in here (cept a hand full).

I have no plans to release a packed version till I'm finished making final versions of all the major ships. If you want all the ships I've released so far (xcept the Galaxy, almost done wth version 2), you'll have to get em one by one an up to date list can be found here

http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1680

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Re: For the reference of those wishing to combine
Sigh* I've been spending my Friday combining ALL of these packs together, the Earth_V1 one contains table data for apparently all ships released prior to it, so I am combining them in this order. This list will make it easy for people to know the order without having to read this thread over and over from start to finish. These are in order of post in this thread.

Akira
Sovereign
Galaxy Beta
Defiant Class
DefiantV2
DefiantFix
Bugship
BugshipFix
Bugship2
BOP
BOPFix
GreenTorp
Peregrine
Peregrine1_2
Danube
Vorcha
Raider
Spacedock
SpacedockV2
Steamr*
SteamrDDS
Earth_V1
Earth_Med
Earth_Uber
EarthTest.fs2
EarthMarsSB

*at the end of all this, Steamr data won't be in ships.tbl anymore (after installing the Earth parts). to get Steamr back, open separately the ships.tbl included with Steamr, and copy the "USS Appalachia" to the final ships.tbl you ended up with after all the copying.

Dammit...
OFFTOPIC ---- if any FSO people are reading this, for the love of terrans, modding, vasudans, shivans, vulcans, and green people with 7 arms, SEPARATE SHIPS.TBL INTO ONE TABLE FILE PER SHIP, not one for all ships. Volition's ships.tbl is driving me INSANE!!!!! Seriously, doesn't it make a lot more sense to have files separated for each ship, rather than have one bloated file that is hard to update?

Second that. Would be great if the tables wouldn't be such a mess...  :rolleyes: Actually, what I've understood, modular tables actually are like this? Except that instead of a huge folder full of different ship entries it's more like a vp, one file containing other files... Ah, I don't relly know a lot about them anyway.

I worked out things according to that list. Akira and Sovereign worked out just fine (exept for some anomalous error when loading mission - t told me that I have no xwing.pof on my computer.). But then the trouble started. The Galacy_beta was no longer available, and there goes some worthy tables down the toilet. It just didn't work any more. I tried to install Galaxy_v09 instead of beta, but to no avail - my system actually froze so badly that I had to apply the engineer button (aka power switch) to restart the system...

And, by the way, in which order should Exelcior and Constitution be installed so that the tables would fit?

And where the HELL can one get a table that manages to use all these beauties as it should? You mentioned that Earth_v1.zip had tables that should work as such, ie. use all ships released before that... It doesn't, the only thing in the *.zip folder is earthl.pof , no tables, nothing more than that single model.

What makes things more annoying is that most error announcements actually relate to weapons.tbl. There's literally big heaps of them when I start FS2_Open with Trek mode activated...  :mad:

What should be done is the following: Collect links to the files onto one place so that one doesn't need to scroll through conversation to find everything, and secondly, create weapons and ships tables that really work with all the ships released. With the tables provided with the ship releases, no one who is not into tables and generally Freespace2 (or superintelligent) can figure out how to make things work. I'm one of these people. It's all very well to have the Akira and Sovereign functioning properly, but it pisses me off not to be able to use all the other ships. And I have basically no time to start combining tables - ships.tbl might go somehow, but weapons.tbl is a bloody mess and there most errors occur. ARgh. I hate not being able to do these things myself...  :(

Anyway, I hope that some day there'll be a one single pack of these ships
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
Re: Come and get your giftwrapped starships!!!!
Holy Massive Thread Neocromancy Batman.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
I know but I don't care. I want those ships working... :p
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

"I see dead prjoects" :)

I'm sorry Trek dudes. Its been so long and so many releases for me to make the fleet compatible with today's builds. So many upgrades and additions to tables and coding stuffs. I believe some folks are making more additions and possible TBL solutions to the Trek fleet.

Check out their work here http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2129&page=3

I'm too busy working on the BSG (Anti-Trek) Project. When I finally get the time off I desperately need, I'll will get back on the Trek saddle and see if today's modern builds can finally handle the Dominion war scenario i was once trying to assemble.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Unless we can convince you to model Serenity? >..>
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Unless we can convince you to model Serenity? >..>

That'd be cool, but doesn't suit itself very well to the FS style of engine. Unfortunately. :(
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
I think as a one off it'd be absolutely awesome. I just got into Firefly over the Christmas break and kinda fell in love with that ship. I reckon she'd be about cruiser size.

Plus of course, the more random fingers we stick into sci-fi pies - the more exposure the engine gets. Everyone comes from far and wide to see the awesome Trek / BSG / B5 etc. models for the FS engine.

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
Omni: huh...wait. Didn't I compile a ST ship pack a long time ago? I think I uploaded it someplace, and a few people PM'ed me for it.

If you want, I can re-upload it. It's got all the ships done in that list a few posts up, along with a modified .tbl that incorporates all the fixes and all the files together.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2006, 09:42:15 am by Singh »
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
That sounds interesting.

So, according to that list, there would be no Excelcior, Constitution or Miranda class ships in that package? Well, I s'pose I could live with that...

Please bring it on by all means, I'd like it very much!

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
ok, im uploading the package.

If anyone wants, please PM me, as bandwidth is limited on GW, so I cant just give the linky out.

Thanks and regards,
Singh
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(