Author Topic: Come and get your giftwrapped starships!!!!  (Read 39016 times)

Come and get your giftwrapped starships!!!!
Originally posted by Setekh

We're still waiting for full support on DDS textures... but umm, ask around at the SCP forum for better directions, I say... :)

in other words it works for some, and not others?

or is it a system requirements issue (to ur knowledge)?

N00B ALERT!

How do I get the Earth textures to work? Especially in FRED?

You're suppose to extract what ever texture version you downloaded into the Data/maps directory.

It will not work in fred unless you get the DDS plugin for Adobe Photoshop from the Nvidia website and convert it to PCX. Fred only reads PCX textures. I don't recommend using PCX in game because you lose ALL transparent effects and it will suck up all texture memory from your graphics card. All you will see is a black and white cloud sphere. You should just use PCX to to see it in Fred then move the PCX files OUTSIDE the Freespace2 directory so that the game uses the DDS and not the pcx. (pcx has priority in Freespace, so if you have two same name files, one DDS and the other PCX, the game will pick the PCX)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2004, 07:36:07 pm by 1582 »

Elaborate a little more clearly as to how I get these textures to work correctly. :lol:

Any .dds files in the file(s) you've downloaded goes into the Freespace2/data/maps directory. That should get it running in the game. If you want to see it in Fred is a more complicated issue. Since Fred uses ONLY PCX files, and in-game should use ONLY the dds files when using the Earth model.

I can convert the DDS to pcx for you, I'll have it up in an hour. Put the PCX files in the same directory as the DDS's. Once you download them, use it to see what you're doing in fred. After you finish Fredding, get rid of the PCX files, so the game uses only the DDS.

Alrighty then. :D

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by Omniscaper
Any .dds files in the file(s) you've downloaded goes into the Freespace2/data/maps directory.

Dude, are you expecting everyone's FSO to support DDS? I've had mixed results at best in the past. :o
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

As long as the DDS file doesn't have a PCX counterpart, DDS runs great. I've been using the DDS format since the December FSO builds. Thanks to DDS, this earth model became possible. Since it supports alpha channels AND compression, I am able to use uber-sized textures without hogging all video memory as TGA's do. I could have done the cloud transparencies using PCX's with green masks, but there would have been no gradiation in transparency. It would have been either opaque or invisible, and no subtle transparencies.

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Indeed, and that's the most impressive part of it - the clouds look... what's the word? Seamless. Okay, I've gotta give this another go. :)

Offline ZylonBane

• The Infamous
Originally posted by Setekh
Indeed, and that's the most impressive part of it - the clouds look... what's the word?
Antialiased.
ZylonBane's opinions do not represent those of the management.

Earth and Mars skyboxes

These are transparent skyboxes with a background POF. I just couldn't stand not having planetary glows, so I conceeded into making these instead. It has no moving parts like the Earth model, which should be good news to alot of people without PC horsepower. However, 1x 2048x2048 texturemaps are used by each skybox.

The mission requires the runabout. If you want to incorporate these into your missions you'll need the latest FredOGL. It should be under background editor, just type the POF name in the slot.

http://www.penguinbomb.com/omniscaper/EarthMarsSB.rar

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
DANG! God created some beautiful planets. You got a pretty sweet duplication there, too, I might add. :p ;)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
do Europa!
I LOVE Europa
coolest looking moon/planet in the solar system
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Originally posted by Bobboau
do Europa!
I LOVE Europa
coolest looking moon/planet in the solar system

You'd also have to do a Jupiter at the same time, since it's close enough to be quite imposing... and Lightspeed's gas giant just doesn't look Jupitery enough for the task.

Later!
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by Sandwich
DANG! God created some beautiful planets. You got a pretty sweet duplication there, too, I might add. :p ;)

Well said. :D

Breathtaking, Lightspeed. Adjust the star colour in the mission to reflect the planet a little better if you can. :)

Ooooo....

Is that an Akira class I saw there inside the station? Thats my favorite class and I'd hate to see it missed if that wasn't one :D
Something about Apple Corps
and 3D games dealing with vehicular battles, what?...

Akira was released while back. You can find it here.

http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1680&pagenumber=1

I'm still trying to organize all the ships in one pack.

Offline TMC

• http://anime-haven.org
These ships look really sexy omni... I'm having a slight problem, however.

where are the weapons?! :( I can't use the ships because I haven't got the needed files for weaponary... such as photon.pof. *cries*

Where would I find these...? I wanna blow up colossus with my defiant. ;7

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Hey, welcome to HLP, TMC. :) Where did you pop up from?

:welcome:

Offline TMC

• http://anime-haven.org
Me? Well, I've been in the community since FS2 came out... my name was Greywolvesleader (on sectorgame) and my name here was 67 GW leader or something... but I forgot my password, so I went "meh" and started a fresh.

PS: After downloading all this FS2_open stuff and enhancements... FS2 is making my cry with joy.

PPS: Thanks for the welcome Setkth... but those bfgreens hurt like hell, I'll have you know.