Author Topic: Official Robotech Mod Thread  (Read 140210 times)

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
Magatsu1, I don't want to rehash RT/Macross history in detail but here is the skinny... Seperated by universe...

1) Macross - macross Flashback - Macross Plus -  Macross3 (video game) - Macross 7  (Macross ZERO Might be a precursor BUT they are already messing with it's history, it may become the start of a 4th alternate timeline!)

2.) DYRL? - Macross2

3.) Robotech (consisting of Macross SAGA/Southern Cross/Mospedia)

Three seperate and not connected universes except for similar mecha designs. In the case of Robotech all 3 series are acutally NOT related they were heavily edited fromt eh origial series and then voice actors simply read their lines to the animated characters when they talked.. Overall a really spectacular job of making a sotry up with existing footage that is unrealeted to anything - Kudos to Carl Macek, I dislike some of HG's policies but I got to respect what they did...

continued...
"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Offline Getter Robo G

Chinaman, I don't know WHAT you did but you gto them working! KUDOS!!!

However fro gameplay now they are kinda small HEHE I hate to be a pain but can you make them a little bigger (say 150%) teh range they would look good is between 12-20m tall.

BTW you DON'T have to arm them and do all the POF stuff right away on all these models! That is TOO MUCH work when they all have to be tested in game and possibly resized multiple times... Keep your final .cob files and there is no problem with making a .pof out of it in 2 mins and I can do most of the .pofing IF NEED BE... Getting the right size fo gameplay and fixing geometry probs/ converting probs is the priority for now...  If we can wait on dock points and the otehr stuff adn do tehm in model view  or PCS GREAT, onyl do what you have to in truespace or otehr 3d program to get it ready fro conversion. If teh ship has turrets taht will be the biggest Problem cause you CANNOT take a pof adn make a cob and keep teh turret data it gets corrupted... That is why sizing is so important before anything else (that and texture mappage he he)...

As for the Hawkeye varient, AWESOME! The radar dish came out great (However it rotates) Take a look at the cat's eye recon plane in your model folder for hints about rotating subobjects. (in case you didn't know). Only MAJOR thing is size.. We can't always go by book. I compared teh alpha fighter with the Hawkeye and Scott Bernard's body takes up the room where 6 bridge officers are supposed to be!

Try making a version that is oh, say 200% and one 300%... I will compare them in game and when the mix is right we can get it finalized...

As for the docking point (which I don't know squat about fro modling) is teh support ship gonna be able to dock UNDERNEATH IT?) as that is the only place it can fit cause of the bridge fin and radar dish make a top approach imposible for the AI I think.. The only space a Ship can dock is the bottom of the hull... Though middle of the neck area would be best...

Other than that LOOKING GOOD! Its hard to believe there is this much progress already! GO TEAM!

Trashman:  Forget the Gurab, China seems to have a handle on it for now...
"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Official Robotech Mod Thread
ERm...looks like the SDF1 in battleoid mode will have a few problems.
First, since it's "standing" upwards, allmost no multi-part turret will be able to rotate (since FS2 doesn't support turrets on the sides..bummer)

Second, looking at the blueprints I noticed some ...irregularites, but I will look into that more...
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Getter Robo G

That didn't occur to me...

As long as you feel comfortable with it let them be as they appear BUT make them SINGLE part turrets for gameplay... Just gonna have to be careful with FOV for the firing points... Is this DO ABLE?

I also was screwing around with an idea of a Deadelus attack in my head using fredding and waypoints (this would be an ENTIRELY scripted even that can only happen as a backgound timed thing)...

Trash was I correct about the Horizont's idea about door subobject that are destroyed to reveal it's inner bays that are ALREADY in the model that we can Fred launches from?

If so using that as a precedent we could make a Deadelus bow door and explode it to reveal a **** tone of destroids who launch their missles!!! Viola!

Of course this means a SECOND soilder model in the attack pose with  the carrier arm in a natural pose of angled away from the waist to the side 45 degrees up and the Deadelus arm punching forward almost totally extended on it's own side (like as if you were to throw a punch and you use your other arm for balance...)

I know this sounds TOTALLY wacked but can it work? I mean as long as it is scripted right... X amount of seconds after the attack Fredded destroids appear and whoop ass! if it isn't enough a timed self destruct occurs (like I had to do with the opening mission as sometimes the SDF-1 beam didn't always kill them)...

This would be for half visual eye-candy, and half just fricken cool as hell even if you can't see all the mechanics involved in your fighter...

IF I am too ambitious brin gme back to reality :nervous:

Anyway , EARTHPILOT!  I  screwed up and don't have that Ikazuchi with the textures in their right places anymore. I didn't realize it but when you started working on it I deleted all copies of it from my HD as I was cleaning it out of things I think didn't need.. My bad please forgive me!

BTW I finally got up the nerve to approach Lestat and Fokker over at Relic forums... Hopefully as Anime fans they will embrace us and allow us the use of their materials that I requested. But if not then that means a WHOLE lotta work ahead of us! I don't know exactly what went on before with the previous team but hopefully they will understand we are a new group but have the same goal, making our respective projects the best they can be!

More model goodness coming :)

Guy's check out the horizont dropships :) I've sent them 2 u only a few minutes ago.

Yo! Earthpilot I was trying 2 send 2 u the same models Ive sent 2 GRG & Trash but I'm getting an error on ur yahoo address I'll try it again later k ?

GRG I'll try to resize the gurab to 12 meters atleast and make the radar on the Hawkeye rotate. :( to bad about the models from HW
DYRL I would love to see the VF Elint Seeker in game not to mention the Armored Valk and that cool Valk w/ Gatlings I just wish those guys would agree and all credits will go to them anyways rite ? what's more gratfying than to see ur work being apreciated by others who share the same interest.

Trash/GRG  the Alpha batloid was great man :) thanks one comment though, is it possible to use the gun pod on the second alpha I sent u guys and attach a longer banana clip on it :) I wish I could do it but I dont know squat bout T.S. :(

for now..... more glory shots Mk3 :)
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ch_shotgun/detail?.dir=/b24a&.dnm=abee.jpg

Peace !
PC Specs
=======
AMD FX 6300 6
Core  running @ 4.3 Ghz
Windows 10 64 bit
24 Gb DDR3 memory
750 Watts Thermaltake PSU
AMD R7 370  Graphics
Corsair Air 240
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I am Death Incarnate :mad2:
Sorry but.......You have a focus of a shotgun :P

Offline Getter Robo G

Chinaman, they look great!

However both are still too small (see pic). Use our Final non-gun alpha as a guide the cockpit of the Alpha holds 1 person. The cockpit of the Horizont (and all the varients) hold like 6 bridge officers. That's why I mention makiing a 200% and 300% bigger versions so I can test tehm out befor finalization steps.  :D We are not using those alphas in your albumn OFFICIALLY, though I would like to transfer your tiger texture over to the slimmer ones as a "special".  He he I realize it's a desert camo, but it's a little loud for Mars! Amoung teh initial wave was Mars group and I am sure SOME of them were home guard units with Martian style camo (making this up in my head, think redish and rocky), how's that for an idea for a "special" LOL!  

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/getter_robo_g_2004/detail?.dir=ef5a&.dnm=296c.jpg

Other than that no real probs. I'm screwing with engine wash cause for such a small cruiser it had a way to big table entry at 900, but at 500 it ahd NONE at all? anyway when I get the new sized ones I will screw around until I get a setting that feels right if you accidently get behind one too close..

As for the HW stuff. let's not discuss it for now. I was told my request would be forwarded to the head honcho over there and he would make the decision. I'm hopeful cause it wasn't a flat out no (that I had expected)... But lets tread on the side of restraint and figure that the most we could hope for is using them as guides and not actual use just so we don't get disappointed.

[EDIT] I am so stupid... I tried to convert your horizonts back to cobs but the textures refused to go back on the model??? Must be something about how you are making them (No problem BUT save your final cobs before pofing and send them to me ALSO. That way if they show up in 3dexploration WITH textures I can resize them myself possibly and save you a little trouble.

As for model textures please change the names by adding three letters of teh class before the normal name. I ask this ONE to make it easier to move alter or delete them as needed, adn two SOME of teh texture names overlap! Garfish has a hangar texture DIFFERENT than horizont's hanger text (though all teh horizonts share theirs and the Garfish (and it's varients) use the other!!!!

In my folder I renamed all the Garfish ones gar except for the one texture ALREADY called garfish. I made all the horizonts hzt! ie hztnose , hzthangar, ect...

I'm sorry if this makes a complication fro any of you but it needs to be done while converting these!

Earthpilot:  The Ikazuchi textures may or may not match the garfish, but please when you are ready rename them all ikz before making you final cob and converting it! That's all I can think of now. At least I caught this problem fairly early!!! :nervous:
« Last Edit: August 23, 2004, 03:56:03 am by 2035 »

Offline Getter Robo G

Has anyone heard from Ryuune? Last post he mentioned his mod almost done was on 2/04, 6 months ago!

You still around guy or did you disappear?

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
For the SDF-1 - single big turrets are doable.

As far as the destroid hangar goes...hmm...have to see about that. Sounds doable..but wouldn't it be easier if the SDF-1 just rammed the Zentradi and then you blow it up?

I mean, you shouldn't be able to see the destroids, since the front part of the Dedalus should be inside(in this case right next to) the Zent ship....
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Getter Robo G

But you know me, I am a glutton for punishment!!!

Actually I want to re-create the episode where Lisa screws up!

Remember she hesitates and misses the mark so the Daedelus attack is executed way too late and so it punches through the hulll to the other side of the Zent cruiser and is sticking out the other side. So when she FINALLY launches the destroids missiles they miss a lot and poor rick is hit!!!

We can skip this mission but it set's up WHY Rick is in the hospital for mission 10 (farewell Big Brother!)...

Just for fun and character stuff (you get to see Lisa isn't perfect and that Rick isn't the greatest pilot ever (that is max's title) hehehe...

Then again if it IS too much we can skip it...

Just sent the cob's for the REF ships so check them out. I'm kinda stuck with Lionfish and Tigerfish models when ever I try compiling them to POF cob2pof gives me a "to many materials" error. hmmm interesting eh...

Peace
PC Specs
=======
AMD FX 6300 6
Core  running @ 4.3 Ghz
Windows 10 64 bit
24 Gb DDR3 memory
750 Watts Thermaltake PSU
AMD R7 370  Graphics
Corsair Air 240
I am Death Incarnate :mad2:
Sorry but.......You have a focus of a shotgun :P

Offline Getter Robo G

something wrong on my end?
They get fubar'ed when I pof them and make then a group like PCS is screaming about. also they get rotated on wrong axis??? damn. Go ahead and pof them and re-send please. Thanks...

Oh yeah about the material thing,,, final conversion can't have over 49 seperate materials or slots.. Try re-saving the cob first. That makes all similar textures become one slot of same type. ie if hangar texture  is used 30 times it becomes used ONCE for all those seperate areas from before... That MIGHT help?

[EDIT} I go them pofed but in FRED they cause hard crash???

Try subobjecting as if vanilla fs2 meaning no objects over 850 polys per section... ?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2004, 08:24:44 am by 2035 »

I'll be darn.

I textured the Ikazuchi and tried it in Freespace2.

- Fred Open showed it!
- Techroom showed it!
- Ingame showed it!

have a look:

OK i will send copies of it to GRG, trash and chinaman.
BTW it is not turreted yet.

BTW Chinaman didn't you get the other E-Mail from me?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2004, 11:54:08 am by 1620 »

Offline Getter Robo G

Version of FRED are you using? It caused mine to crash... I returxtured the cargo07 pof...

I'm using 3.5.5... do I have to turn on htl or ogl???

Other than that great job!

thanks.

Too bad Blender didn't export the materials as well so i had tu UV-map it again in truespace.
erm.. i think the size is wrong.

Fred Open 3.5.5 OpenGL

(came with the 3.6 Installer)

Opened and Inserted in HTL.-Mode as Container TTC1
« Last Edit: August 26, 2004, 06:17:46 am by 1620 »

Offline Getter Robo G

Here's a pic... Strange it worked in HTL mode (first time i used it
! I NEVER USE htl mode)... I wonder if all those models that crashed fred before would actully work now??? Hehe got a lot of re-testind to do! Only problem was teh ship did NOT appear in Fred.. BUt it worked. you could see the info and location but not model or even outline view... NO biggie, jut have to be careful making missions (orienting models blind with few landmarks will be , challenging) he he he...

ANYWAY, as you can see I messed with the slots you gave it for a rough texture attemp for testing and it looks great! BUT of co0urse it needs final textures in right places, plus turrets ect..

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/getter_robo_g_2004/detail?.dir=ef5a&.dnm=6274.jpg

From the scale of the fighter and the doors it needs to be 200% larger. Those doors can lauch about 24 fighters each, right now we can only get 2-4 veritechs out the sides of them. (not having all of them be active hangars of course maybe one per side??? Or can we have more with Fs Open now??? what are our limits for useable stuff and copies???

BUt this is definately cool and looking great so far!

I'm still working  on a few ideas, had some setbacks, but this caused more things to pop up so I'll keep plugging away at making this the best it can be mod wise...

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
man this will work great when we get cell shadeing working in HT&L mode
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Getter Robo G

Cell-Shading? *grabs heart* Ooo the pain! The point was to be BETTER than Battlecry (my waste of money on a PS2 just for that game)...

I thinkusing standard FS2 textures (or better custom ones with shine and glows bump the WORKS) would be better than any mere cell-shading... My vision is going for as NON-Cartoonish as possible as we WESTERN gamers often get the short end of the gameing stick...

This effort may seem insignificant but it's one man's stand against  companies that seem to be unfazed by the marketing potential that only some of us represent (anime lovers for over 20 years) who repeated buy watered down versions of what natives enjoy cause that's all that is offered translated (when it is offered at all!)

Didn't want to get onto that rant again, but that cell-shading hits a nerve... I suggest you check out macross ZERO! Even better the new Appleseed (I believe) is doing a reverse type of graphics thing where the main characters are still anime but EVERYTHING else in the enviroment is CGI...  I just saw the trailer for it and it is obviously a re-make, but man this will look good!

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
well this was one of the reasons I implemented cell shadeing, it realy looks good IMHO, stylized and all that, if your models work in non-htl mode you can test it out now, you just need a light map (wich I think is in the media vp) and check the cell comand.
the textures you have would actualy be prety good for cell shadeing from what I can see.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Max Sterling

• Veritech Ace
Which mod is this? ;)
-Max

Creator of Altered Spirits
http://www.alteredspiritsfilm.com

Creator of the FS2 Robotech MOD
http://robotechlan.com/freespace2/
and Bosch Beer.

Offline Getter Robo G

MAX !!!!!

Can you believe it took this long to get something started since we last communicated ;)  But now with FSOpen it will be worth the wait!

What do you think of Trasham's SDF-1?

BTW Where have you been?  I've seen Unknown Target all the time and I actually saw Gortef post like a month or two ago (I think), but I hadn't seen hide or hair of you like forever, he he...

(Duh I just realised my name change. Something happened (hack /bug /whatever) and I changed my name to the Japanese version of Star Dragon (Getter Robo G)...
« Last Edit: August 27, 2004, 06:58:05 am by 2035 »