Author Topic: POF exporter for MAX - Need people with MAX 4, 5 and 6 for testing  (Read 282091 times)

POF exporter for MAX - Need people with MAX 4, 5 or 6 for testing
Originally posted by xenthorious

Getting the same error as deepblue.  Plug-in was not listed in plug-in manager.  Attempted to add it into plug-in manager.  Failed, same error.
Is there a DLL file you have, that maybe we do not?  Might as well be in your Windows directory.

BTW, I know this problem can not be entirely mine or user error.  The following link is a totorial to making models for the game Neverwinter Nights (which I may add, is a bit more powerful then FS2).  In this totorial, there is a FTP which provides plug-ins that work for 3DS Max 4 & 5.
These plug-ins are installed on my 3DS Max v5, and are loaded right now.  The totorial can be found here:
http://www.bricksbuilder.com/nwn/tutorials/placeables1/

This is a clip letting you folks know that indeed have there plug-ins loaded fine:
http://talimoor.game-host.org/clip.jpg

Here's the error I recieve when adding the plug-in from the plug-in manager:
http://talimoor.game-host.org/clip2.jpg

Here's the error I recieve when loading 3DS Max 5 while the plug-in is in the './plug-in' directory:
http://talimoor.game-host.org/clip3.jpg

I would really like to see my version of 3DS work for FS2Open modding.  It will be a disapointment beyound reasonable interest to see this not fixed.  Thanks much for your patiance.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2004, 03:37:48 am by 1975 »
The big cool ship...

We all want to see this working, all of us.

Please be patient.
If you want to be ready for Wing Commander Saga: The Darkest Dawn, then download and play the prologue first.

Here,

http://www.wcsaga.com/downloads/files/download/releases-prologue-setup-exe.html

Then, while waiting for the Darkest dawn, Download Starshatter 4.02

http://www.starshattermods.com/infusions/pro_download_panel/download.php?did=214

You 'll understand why once you have.

I'm sure he is.  It's just been about 1.5 fields of forum chat since the last notation of it not working, so I'm  =)

I read through each and every one.  I'm very impressed with the work.  I do not know if this would be helpful at all, but it seems the project lead has little experience with 3DS Max?  Might want to contact that group from the link I gave you above, asking for a bit of advice.  There pluggins work flawlessly.  They may be able to give you the edge that is needed.
The big cool ship...

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

I read through each and every one.  I'm very impressed with the work.  I do not know if this would be helpful at all, but it seems the project lead has little experience with 3DS Max?  Might want to contact that group from the link I gave you above, asking for a bit of advice.  There pluggins work flawlessly.  They may be able to give you the edge that is needed.

Who, Styxx?

He's got a ****load of experience with Max IIRc, he's just a generally very busy bloke :)

Got to be honest, I've not encountered your problem since using the the newest version of the plugins... so what is going wrong for you, I don't know.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Ok, in the interest of community bug-fixing, I was using the plugin with no problems at all, exporting to POF multiple times w/o crashes, on a model that I had not yet put any helpers in. Once I added a helper - BOOM. Crashes every 2nd time like clockwork.

Anyone care to confirm my observation?
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Sandwich
Ok, in the interest of community bug-fixing, I was using the plugin with no problems at all, exporting to POF multiple times w/o crashes, on a model that I had not yet put any helpers in. Once I added a helper - BOOM. Crashes every 2nd time like clockwork.

Anyone care to confirm my observation?

i had a crash using the helpers for a path, but that may be because I misfolllowed the instructions (I can't load the example max scene for some reason, maybe version differences).

I've succesfully converted a model with helpers for the weapons banks, subsystems and thruster glows, however.  

Only thing is that the thruster glow is pushed back on the z-axis ingame... compared to its position on modelview. i.e. modelview shows the thruster glow where it should be (when converted), fs2_open seems to shove it back a substantial distance.  I don't think this will be a conversion problem, though.

Originally posted by aldo_14

Who, Styxx?

He's got a ****load of experience with Max IIRc, he's just a generally very busy bloke :)

Got to be honest, I've not encountered your problem since using the the newest version of the plugins... so what is going wrong for you, I don't know.

"You?"  Did ya not go through the forum, BLOKE! :cool:
No really, I'm not the only one having this problem. And as you can see from my links, it ain't my problem either.  One set of plug-ins doing a similiar thing should not work if it was.  This shows that a valued resource is not being retreived correctly, which I feel,  is the fault of the plug-in.  Was the video card a possible option?  I use an ATI card (which did have its difficulties with FS2SCP).

Oh well, I'm sure he'll figure it out sooner or later.  Just don't let him forget about us BLOKE! :lol:
The big cool ship...

Hey guys, I have a question for you.  I want to take one object and apply two different skins.  How do I do this?

For example, in the object I have here:
http://talimoor.game-host.org/sample01.jpg
The faces of which are highlighted in red, I desire one skin.

Now, in the second sample:
http://talimoor.game-host.org/sample02.jpg
I would like to apply a different skin.

I do not know what this process is called, and I do not know how to do this.  Could someone explain please?  Thanks a but load.  :cool:
The big cool ship...

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
well you should avoid doing this as much as posable, it slows down rendering, though if it's a capship you don't have much choice.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

"You?"  Did ya not go through the forum, BLOKE! :cool:
No really, I'm not the only one having this problem. And as you can see from my links, it ain't my problem either.  One set of plug-ins doing a similiar thing should not work if it was.  This shows that a valued resource is not being retreived correctly, which I feel,  is the fault of the plug-in.  Was the video card a possible option?  I use an ATI card (which did have its difficulties with FS2SCP).

bloke?

Anyways, I don't think anyone who was using the newest version of the plugin suffered from the loading problem; that seemed to only occur in the first plugin version, at least for me & the initial sufferers.

I presume you definately have the newest plugin files?

Hey guys, I have a question for you.  I want to take one object and apply two different skins.  How do I do this?

For example, in the object I have here:
http://talimoor.game-host.org/sample01.jpg
The faces of which are highlighted in red, I desire one skin.

Now, in the second sample:
http://talimoor.game-host.org/sample02.jpg
I would like to apply a different skin.

I do not know what this process is called, and I do not know how to do this.  Could someone explain please?  Thanks a but load.  :cool:

Just drag the material from the materials editor over the highlighted sections.

NB: is it Uv-ed? You'll need to do that to have the texture show (in the modifiers choose 'edit mesh', select faces, drag over material (still in edit mesh), then 'uvmap object'.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2004, 03:42:22 am by 181 »

Originally posted by aldo_14

Just drag the material from the materials editor over the highlighted sections.

NB: is it Uv-ed? You'll need to do that to have the texture show (in the modifiers choose 'edit mesh', select faces, drag over material (still in edit mesh), then 'uvmap object'.

I figured that was what I had to do, just don't think I did it in the right order.  I'll try in the order you gave me, see if that works.  Thanks a bunch.

As for the plug-in, I believe I have tried evey version of it.  Just to be on the safe side, I'll search it out and try it again.

Another question if I may; when making a model, what polygon count should I keep the model limmited down to?  Ah, also when making turrents, should the objects used to make the turrents fall under that same polygon count?  Sorry to bother and thanks for the information.
The big cool ship...

I got the two skins placed on the same object.  Thanks again for the information.
The big cool ship...

Originally posted by Styxx
New version, with Glow Point generation support. You'll still need to adjust the data on PCS, but it'll create the glow point groups and the actual glow points (eliminates the hassle of manually entering the position of each glow point).

http://www.3dap.com/hlp/staff/sticks/pofexp.zip

I'm accepting suggestions regarding how to define the normal of each point, and the on/off data. Right now it uses some presets and you have to edit them on PCS.

This is the most recent post which also contains a link via ftp to the most recent plug-in I can find.  It does not work.  To add, this post came before other posts (eg. deepblue's post) which indicate I am not the only one having this problem.  If there is another release of this plug-in and it's more recent, please provide a URL.  Thanks a bunch.
The big cool ship...

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

I figured that was what I had to do, just don't think I did it in the right order.  I'll try in the order you gave me, see if that works.  Thanks a bunch.

As for the plug-in, I believe I have tried evey version of it.  Just to be on the safe side, I'll search it out and try it again.

Another question if I may; when making a model, what polygon count should I keep the model limmited down to?  Ah, also when making turrents, should the objects used to make the turrents fall under that same polygon count?  Sorry to bother and thanks for the information.

Polycount should include all objects on that lod, so yep; include turrets&debris plus any other stuff.

The limits.... I'm not sure if there is a hardcoded limit with FS2_open.  FS2 retail had a limit of about 850 per subobject and I think about 5000 overall (all lods)

I'd recommend - for SCP;

Fighters / small ships; 1500-3500 LOD0, roughly halfing for each lod below that
Cruisers / small ships; 3500-5500 including turrets for LOD0, obviously can cut a lot of polys for lower lods with removal of turrets
Destroyers / Large ships; 4000-9000

These may be a bit high, though, especially for large ships.  Fighters tend to have a lot of polys if you model in a cockpit as I do, but this drops drastically on lower lods (which have no visible cockpit)..

Offline LOKO

I got 3d max, I've downloaded the files but where do I install them too? sorry me = noob and trying to learn

Originally posted by LOKO
I got 3d max, I've downloaded the files but where do I install them too? sorry me = noob and trying to learn

Look in the 3dsmax directory there's one called plugin.  Install it there.
The big cool ship...

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill

BTW, I know this problem can not be entirely mine or user error.  The following link is a totorial to making models for the game Neverwinter Nights (which I may add, is a bit more powerful then FS2).  In this totorial, there is a FTP which provides plug-ins that work for 3DS Max 4 & 5.
These plug-ins are installed on my 3DS Max v5, and are loaded right now.  The totorial can be found here:
http://www.bricksbuilder.com/nwn/tutorials/placeables1/

This is a clip letting you folks know that indeed have there plug-ins loaded fine:
http://talimoor.game-host.org/clip.jpg

Here's the error I recieve when adding the plug-in from the plug-in manager:
http://talimoor.game-host.org/clip2.jpg

Here's the error I recieve when loading 3DS Max 5 while the plug-in is in the './plug-in' directory:
http://talimoor.game-host.org/clip3.jpg

I would really like to see my version of 3DS work for FS2Open modding.  It will be a disapointment beyound reasonable interest to see this not fixed.  Thanks much for your patiance.

Yeah! Someone else with the same problem!

Fix it Styxx! Maybe you are using the wrong version of the SDK for us...

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
*bump*

Any status on this project?
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
Been too busy with job and coursework lately, but after the first week of January I'll have the time to start looking into it.
Probably away. Contact through email.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
hey styxx, just so I know for future reference, if I/we were to make totaly diferent BSP geometry definitions is you program sutup in such a way as to allow you to make such channges easily?
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together