Author Topic: POF exporter for MAX - Need people with MAX 4, 5 and 6 for testing  (Read 282219 times)

any updates?

Thank you styxx for allowing all of the modelers to use the greatest of modeling programs.
If you want to be ready for Wing Commander Saga: The Darkest Dawn, then download and play the prologue first.

Here,

http://www.wcsaga.com/downloads/files/download/releases-prologue-setup-exe.html

Then, while waiting for the Darkest dawn, Download Starshatter 4.02

http://www.starshattermods.com/infusions/pro_download_panel/download.php?did=214

You 'll understand why once you have.

POF exporter for MAX - Need people with MAX 4, 5 or 6 for testing
Amen, GT!!!

Styxx??? R U still alive?

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
Er, yep, I am. Sorry for the stalled progress on this.

Got some bug reports from Raa a few days ago, I'll try to look into them soon. I'll also try to add support for setting Moment of Inertia directly through MAX's object properties, but it'll be a hack through text on the User Properties field...

Is there anything else? Anyone feel like making a comprehensive list of stuff missing/not working?
Probably away. Contact through email.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Has Raa mentioned the thing with the turret barrels (when linked to the base) moving out of position?

(NB: seems to only occur with LODs in my brief experience.  Albeit it was working fine at one point - but I needed to flip the model end-to-end, at which point it occured.  The working converted model had no problems with flipping, however)

Any chance of someone posting a quick tutorial on making this plugin work?

I have been trying to get it to work ( On Max 6 ) and just can't get anything to convert over! Except, that is, the sample model that came with the plugin!

This, at least, tells me it isn't the plugin that os failing...just the human mind directing it ;)

Does the model have to be in a certain format, set up in a certain way ( I thought I had the hierarchy right... ) and so on. Just a list of essential criteria would help :D

I am fed up with shading being such an issue / burden when you have to set up the smooth angle for every material in TS3!
"It was a time when men were REAL men
Women were REAL women,
And small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were REAL small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri"

Meek are you sure everything's been converted to an editable mesh? Send me a model you are trying to convert, I'll give it a go.

Styxx, with the advent of 3dsmax 7, any chance you'll make a plugin for that?

:) No 'ship' as such :)

I was just creating a simple cube and trying to turn it into a working POF. I just made a cube, turned it into an editable mesh, textured it, and started adding some of the paths and points to make weapon points and so on.

When I fired up the plugin, I got the list of things to check and when I carried on with the conversion Max would not produce anything :(

I will give it another go.... but until I can make something as simple as this work, I am NOT going to go to the trouble of building a mesh in Max. I can build in LW and convert OK, so I am in no hurry ;)
Women were REAL women,
And small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were REAL small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri"

send me the cube... i wanna see your setup. What version of 3dsmax r u using? I got 6 and will be getting 7 soon.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
I've been experimenting w/ the plugin over the weekend, and I can't for the life of me get rotating parts to work. Has anyone been able to do so?
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

In order to get rotating parts requires PCS to input the rotational settings. The pluggin at the moment has no such input. If you remember the Alien Dropship I converted with the pluggin, you'll see it has rotating prts. Just set up your subobject hierarchy correctly and add the rotational settings via PCS.

Omniscaper...I don't think I kept the cube... all I did was to create a cube primitive, convert to editable mesh and apply UV to texture it. Then I tried to export as a POF.
Gets about 50% through then crashes Max. This is in Max 6.

Like I said, though, if I try the same on the sample included with the plugin it works fine, so it isn't down to versions etc. it's purely down to how I have set up the object...or not, as the case may be!

I could use some simple 'guidelines' as to what I need to do !

I thought it would just work if I made a simple object, textured it and exported....it should work...it wouldn't have the extra detail...but it should work. If I delete everything except the base mesh in the test model, it does work!

so....

1) I am assuming I have to texture it...do the materials have to be somewhere particular?
2) Is there a prticular hierarchy I need to make it work?
3) What MUST I do to set up the mesh for a successful conversion?
Women were REAL women,

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Make sure the cube is named Detail-0  or it will not convert.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

OK...not crashing...but still no joy :(
Here's the steps I followed EXACTLY....

1) Create primitive cube
2) Convert to editable mesh
3) set up material ( BMP ) as a simple diffuse map and applied to cube
4) Applied UVMap modifier and tweaked the gizmo a bit

Go to export as a POF and it produces nothing. No file. Tried it with all boxes checked / unchecked

This has really got me stumped :(
Women were REAL women,

Are you using the latest version of Styxx's plugin?

My method of making sure the conversion is successful is to use the following checklist:

1. All meshes are "editable mesh"
2. Hierarchy structure (as assigned in the sample model)
3. Material assignment (make sure ALL meshes have a texture in diffuse)
4. Remove shield model designation with "shield" UNCHECKED
5. Reset X-form all objects.

The object I was attempting to convert has no hierarchy .... it is just a cube.

I tested this with the example model to verify whether the hierarchy was the problem by deleting everything except Detail-0. This converted OK.

I also tried to eliminate an incorrect material by opening up the example, deleting ALL it's parts, and creating my cube using the material created for the example. Applied it to the mesh, but I still get no POF.

The cube is an editable mesh.

Reset transforms just to check

Unchecked each option in the export dialogue one by one, still no POF.

Renamed my cube to Detail-0

Making sure the object was an editable mesh eliminated the crashing, but I get no POF at all created from anything except the example....

I really can't see what is the difference between the example model and my simple test model!
Women were REAL women,

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by Omniscaper
In order to get rotating parts requires PCS to input the rotational settings. The pluggin at the moment has no such input. If you remember the Alien Dropship I converted with the pluggin, you'll see it has rotating prts. Just set up your subobject hierarchy correctly and add the rotational settings via PCS.

I've been defining the rotational parts in modelview32... would that make a difference?
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Is it detail or Detail, and is the plugin case-sensitive?

I copied the EXACT syntax from the sample model, which was Detail-0. I wasn't sure if it was case sensitive, but it worked like that on the supplied sample.

Made no difference to my success rate with the plugin...which is still a big fat zero :(
Women were REAL women,

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
I'm not sure.  I got errors myself last time I converted, but that was simply down to having an extra digit (detail-00). So....I dunno.

Originally posted by Styxx
Not that I know of, but you can try to check the Plugin Manager window to see if it gives you more information. It's working on my MAX 5, so I have no idea why it wouldn't work on yours.

Getting the same error as deepblue.  Plug-in was not listed in plug-in manager.  Attempted to add it into plug-in manager.  Failed, same error.
Is there a DLL file you have, that maybe we do not?  Might as well be in your Windows directory.
The big cool ship...