Author Topic: POF exporter for MAX - Need people with MAX 4, 5 and 6 for testing  (Read 281809 times)

Offline Ryx

• Twilight Falling
  • Away in RL land. Back later.
POF exporter for MAX - Need people with MAX 4, 5 or 6 for testing
Originally posted by Sandwich

Could you have lights linked to path points? I'm just trying to figure out some way of being able to visually define all the POF data; that's a main reason why I like Modelview32 so much.

Not in MAX 6, unless I did it wrong.

What you could do is to turn on snap-to-grid, or rather vertex (grid and snap settings), and then create a light at each point and define a radius. That would fix a visual representation.

Maybe something can be done with name the light after the path's point, or something.

Just an idea.
Intel C2D E6850|4Gb RAM|Abit IP35 PRO|ATI X1900 XT

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
I hate MAX 6, btw. I want my tabbed toolbar back! Waaaa!!
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
Er, press "I". Or whatever the key is on your installation. It's still there, you know. :p
Probably away. Contact through email.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Originally posted by Nuke

now is that another app or does it plug in to maxes interface? you see it would be easyer to save as a 3ds frome truespace than to use a third application. the idea was to eliminate a step, not add one.
third app. But it preserves everything better. I have yet to get a mesh from TS saved as 3ds to load in max. Always invalid file format.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Raa you must IMPORT it, not OPEN it. TS doesn't save the best 3ds format either. I get those errors now and then.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by Styxx
Er, press "I". Or whatever the key is on your installation. It's still there, you know. :p

Show Tab Panel or whatever? Doesn't work. :p
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Originally posted by Omniscaper
How would I go about adding rotating subobjects? I'm trying to give this Dropship moving wings (timed and controlled in Fred of course) I'd also would like to utilize rotation for the forward gun turret. Your "readme.txt" has no mention of "barrel-x" which is in the sample. I'm guessing it needs to be linked to the turretbase?

http://dynamic3.gamespy.com/~bridgecommander/phpBB/files/dropship.jpg

I just caught that; to make the barrel rotate I think it needs to be a physical subsystem but not a turret to link to firing.  You'll need to consult the barrel rotation documentation on how to get it working, but for the moment just make it a subobject.

I still can't get this plugin to work, but I have a model ready to be put through it.  Anyone with Max 5.1 want to take a crack at it?

EDIT: And this is moot since paths have already been implimented, but if you wanted a visual representation of path point radius, you'd need a dummy object at each point defining the path, rather than a line.  The line method helps you see the path itself better though, so it's probably the best overall bet.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2004, 02:31:42 pm by 570 »
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
I have Max 5.1 (about) and it still wont work

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
That makes two of us.  I have the SDK, I'd recompile it on my comp if Styxx would let me borrow the source, but that is of course entirely up to him.

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
The plugin posted for MAX 5 was compiled with the 5.1 SDK, which is available at the Discreet website.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
Then it probably wouldn't do me any good.  Oh well.

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
Originally posted by Sandwich
I hate MAX 6, btw. I want my tabbed toolbar back! Waaaa!!

For the fellow MAX6 users, who got used to the TAB bar from 5 and GMax:

http://clownbarf.com/downloads/max6_tab_bar.zip

Credit to GE for pointing it out to me...
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
Originally posted by StratComm
I still can't get this plugin to work, but I have a model ready to be put through it.  Anyone with Max 5.1 want to take a crack at it?

Anyone?  It's Vasudan and it goes public, if that helps.  I'm trying to get the half-dozen "waiting for conversion" models together, since I don't have to mess with truespace now (in theory).

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Well, if my copy of Max actually worked, I'd do it for ya. But it's allowed itself to creep to the intardnet and find it's authorization code on the blacklist...

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
If its all set up with the correct labeling, send it to me ( [email protected] ) and i'll convert it...

Styxx: How would one do destroyed turrets?
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
Er, no idea. How are they handled on the POF?

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
turret01-destroyed  :p

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
Actually I'm not really sure; they are essentially live debris linked to the turret subobject I think.  No editing program, to the best of my knowledge, actually renders them correctly, so I don't even know where to look to check that.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Destroyed turrets are usually set as subobjects in the same way as turrets are... they 'linkage' occurs as they have the same name with '-destroyed' appended - there's no gluing / connection to the turret subobject.

Debris is handled in the same way except, IIRC, you need to set a rotation axis, and can also have multiple debris objects i.e. turret01-'debris01' etc.

Any progress on implementing rotating multi-part turrets or subobjects? I'm trying to get the nose machine guns for the ALIENS dropship working ,and in addition, the folding wings and bomb bays.

PCS does not like editing the Dropship POF model made with your MAX plugin. Perhaps its the model? It just crashes and renders the POF dead when I try to implement rotation and other subobject properties. I've yet to try the same thing with the latest Modelview but that program limits me to use models under a particular polygon count (Galaxy starship model = 11k polys)

On the plus side, your plugin workd WONDERS with shading and has increased performance in game vs the Galaxy model I converted via PCS. I got an extra 5-10 FPS. Perhaps its because I'm using MUCH less materials considering I no longer have to create duplicate materials to get smooth groups to render correctly.

Keep up the good work. ;)