Author Topic: Fenris cruisers  (Read 83384 times)

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well i nevre said that it was 100% acurate but it does say that it has been through extensive FRED testing so i thought it must be right!

Also this is also close to what I believed to be true since the Sobel has a distinctive more offensive weapons layout then the Deimos. Also it is smaller and sleaker then the Deiomos making it harder to hit by those very inacurate terslashers.

Also i checked the wiki and it says that the fenris is actualy 5m/s faster then the Hipocrates. But it is also smaller about half the size if im not mistaken.(im somewhat sleepy) And it does tend to have better protection then the Hipocrates. I would sugest get rid of one aaaf beam and some terran turrets and you could make enough room to make it a fast combat filed hospital ship carryng the wounded fast off the battlefield to a more specialized vessel such as the Hipocrates or an instalation or something like that!
Die shivan die!!
Then jumps into his apple stealth pie and goes of to war.What a brave lad....what a brave lad say the ladies in red.

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

This is Bunny . Copy  Bunny  into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Okay, I'll take off the extensive FRED testing, but I did, I just didn't do it the right way (cause I still don't know what the right way is.)

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
well i dont know what to say about this either but from what i have see in the game itself the Sobek seems to be eating through cap ship faster then the Deimos.

And yeah i'l stick to the Sobek in a toe-to-toe combat.

On the other hand if I were to say ingage an enemy force composed of fighter/bommbers and one other cap ship i'l stick to the Deimos.

I love having an umbrella under to duck in case the gooing gets too ruff for me. Il take care of the capship the

Deimos can take care of the fighter/bommbers screens cuz that what its good at!

Damn i'm good at taking down shivan warships. Other then the jugg. I mean the ravana was how should I put this like a walk through the park in a clear sunny afternoon (deadly one if youre stupid that is) As are most shivan warships i mean the cruisers dont have much more adequate aaaf defences either and the Demon well lets just say tht if u hit it from a good spot not only can it not hit you but the fighters actualy have a tougher time hiting u!

Oki I have corected the post!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 09:26:50 pm by AlphaOne »
Die shivan die!!
Then jumps into his apple stealth pie and goes of to war.What a brave lad....what a brave lad say the ladies in red.

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

This is Bunny . Copy  Bunny  into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
Uh... the Deimos is the one that's good with fighters and bombers.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
You may as well say why keep Herc MkII if you've got Erinyes (Actually thats a  moot point) theres an old say ing which springs to mind, "Horses for courses" Does the Fenithan have more armour than an Aeoulian cruoosa?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
The Aeolus has 3,000 more hitpoints, is 20mps faster, has twice the anti-capital firepower, and (I dare say) has a hugely superior anti-fighter screen to the Leviathan. Compared to a Fenris, it has 4.75 times the hitpoints, is 10mps faster, has unmesurabley superior anti-capital power and flak screen

Offline Nuclear1

And yeah i'l stick to the Sobek in a toe-to-toe combat.

And all the Deimos will have to do is dive and get out of the Sobek's chief firing arc and it has it owned. The Deimos's offensive capability lies as much in its coverage as in its heavy forward firepower.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
However, in a toe-to-toe duel with a Deimos, the Sobek will win, after much testing around with FRED I've come to the conclusion that the Sobek is superior in capital ship combat, but much, much, much weaker in terms of anti-fighter ability.

this is taken from the wiki veterans comments section.

this is what I have been talking about!

That doesn't say it's superior, either.  Look;

superior in capital ship combat, but much, much, much weaker in terms of anti-fighter ability

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The NTF rebellion hadn't started in 2365, so the NTF's Aeoluses are included in the two dozen total.

Because the number of Aeoluses you see in the main campaign are far greater than you would expect given two dozen ships evenly spread among all GTVA fleets, and because the Aeolus is much more effective (tactically and cost-effectively, see ngtm1r's post) than either the Fenris or Leviathan, I'm inclined to treat the tech room description as a non-canon anomaly.

Offline Shade

The tech description makes sense, if the alliance had decided to stop building cruisers entirely and transition to using corvettes, which is implied in the tech description for the Deimos.

It would also make sense for the NTF rebellion and the following Shivan incursion to force a change to those plans, as there really aren't that many ships left standing and it's better to have 3 cruisers than 1 corvette if you have to cover several systems on a budget. So they may have stopped building them prior to the troubles, when resources (and cruisers already in service) were plenty, but it's likely that they will be building them again now.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Too, the Aeolus' actual performances in combat were exemplary; in many cases even a Deimos would only have done marginally better. This was demonstrated in the main campaign in a more backhanded fashion then anything else (hostile Aeolus warps in at under AAAf range, and it's immediately OMFG PANIC!!!11 on high difficulty...), since the game wasn't particularly kind to the GTVA's inventory in a lot of cases.

Plus, the GTVA has to rebuild their military, and though corvettes may provide superior bang for the buck, they also require larger crews; you can get cruisers into service faster because it takes less time to train a full crew.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well that is the case i mean the Aeoulous is a very dangerous cruiser. I mean couple and Aeoulus with lets say 2 wings of hercs or even mirmadons and you most definatly are screwed. I mnea that thing can even take on a Deimos and given the right circumstances can even win. Regardless of this the future of the cruiser classes are well asured into the future! I mean the curent cruiser classes will be used for at least 5 years to come maibe even more but i do not hink the GTVA will give up on the cruiser classes just yet i think they will even poduce more cruiser classes to replace the existing ones. Since a corvette is just too valuable to waste on depot guarding!
Die shivan die!!

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Er, yes.  You really need to take a bit more time typing these things out, it can be quite migraine inducing to read.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I don't know, if you could yodel you could probably pronounce Aeoulous ;)

Seriously though, I'm inclined to agree that you won't see cruisers dissapear, I think they'll change, but I posted earlier about that :)

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I would imagine them actualy creating something similar to the Fenris as a fast attack surgical strike missions and something like the Aeoulous whych has good defensive capabilities and good ofensive ones. Also it has a great aaaf capabilaty. They would eventualy scrap the Leviathan though since multi pourpose is the name of the game at least for cruisers ! The faster tipes for depot protection and area patrol the more powerfull one for node defense etc.
Die shivan die!!

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
You'd think the Aeolus has everything the SOC is looking for, speed, firepower, and the ability to leave no survivers. A wing of Erinyes fighters and an Aeolus cruiser can take out anything short of a destroyer (Iceni not included.)

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well add some more wings of Erinyes and I bet the Iceni will fall. Also the Aeoulous is perfect for SOC I wiuld imagine them having a cuple of the beasts modified in order to fit theyr agenda!
Die shivan die!!

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

Offline WeatherOp

• I forged the ban hammer. What about that?
    • http://www.geocities.com/weather_op/pageone.html?1113100476773
I've allway figured that we would see the "heavy Cruiser" class in FS3. Very fast, with good anti-capship firepower, but lower then corvette class armor and poor anti-fighter firepower.

Then corvettes would become more of a fighter platform, as most corvettes would have fighterbays, high anti-fighter abilites, but medi-core cap-ship firepower.

So, basicly instead of having one big expensive destroyer, you have two cheaper ships, each focusing on a different effect. But, together with them defending each other's weak spot. You have an effective battlefleet in two ships. Thus phasing out both destroyers and normal cruisers.
Decent Blacksmith, Master procrastinator.

PHD in the field of Almost Finishing Projects.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Well, one idea I had, for example, is that the Second Shivan incursion proved that if theres one thing the GTVA are lacking in, it's the ability to empty ships quickly in emergency situations. The GTVA's current arsenal of support and evacuation ships are too thinly armoured and lacking in capacity to do anything more than hopefully effect a repair or remove the command crew. Secondly, the NTF insurgence suggests there may be a future need to deploy troops far faster than previously, and under heavier combat conditions. The solution would be something about 3/4 of the size of a Fenris, with limited weapons but good speed and thick armor. The ship could deliver troops in large numbers during combat, allowing faster and more effective over-running of an objective. Also, because of it's large accomodative ability, in emergency situations such a ship could take the large percentage of the entire crew of a Deimos, in admittedly cramped conditions, thus saving on the GTVA's fastest dwindling asset, personnel.[/non-canon)

It's not precisely 'Special Ops', but it performs a pretty specific role...

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well not really since corvettes are hos whall i put this not very well suited as fighter platforms they are too sleek too fast ! You would need a corvette to be able to carry at least 50 fighters and remain at the same dimensions to be somewhat efective. Meaning fast agile powerfull against fighters and against warships.
Die shivan die!!

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < )