Author Topic: OLD FreeSpace Open Installer  (Read 761861 times)

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
OLD FreeSpace Open Installer
This installer has been superseded by a new version, which can be found here.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 10:28:03 pm by Goober5000 »
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Re: FreeSpace Open Installer! Download it now!
Stickied because I think this is a good idea worth looking into further.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Great idea, even if I donĀ“t need it...

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Why you have included mediavps?This makes the file too big for slow connections,while users need the installer and recent builds of FS/FRED Open.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
Why you have included mediavps?This makes the file too big for slow connections,while users need the installer and recent builds of FS/FRED Open.

I have not included the MediaVPs. Maybe I didn't make this clear, but when you download the installer, it only includes the bare minimum files* necessary to play FreeSpace Open. However, when you run the installer, it asks you which files you want to install. I included on that option list is a MediaVp checkbox and an adveffects checkbox. If either of these is selected, it will download them DURING THE INSTALL. This allows for a one-size-fits-all installer that gets the basic files to the 56k users, while still allowing the higher-bandwidth users to easily install the MediaVPs at the same time they install everything else.

* This statement is not actually true. I spent a week looking, but I was unable to find a .rar extractor for NSIS, so unfortunately the 710 patches are included in the main installer. This problem could easily be fixed by someone uploading .zip versions of the 710 patches to a static url, or by someone kindly pointing me in the direction of a reliable .rar plugin for NSIS.
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net

I have not included the MediaVPs. Maybe I didn't make this clear, but when you download the installer, it only includes the bare minimum files* necessary to play FreeSpace Open. However, when you run the installer, it asks you which files you want to install. I included on that option list is a MediaVp checkbox and an adveffects checkbox. If either of these is selected, it will download them DURING THE INSTALL. This allows for a one-size-fits-all installer that gets the basic files to the 56k users, while still allowing the higher-bandwidth users to easily install the MediaVPs at the same time they install everything else.

* This statement is not actually true. I spent a week looking, but I was unable to find a .rar extractor for NSIS, so unfortunately the 710 patches are included in the main installer. This problem could easily be fixed by someone uploading .zip versions of the 710 patches to a static url, or by someone kindly pointing me in the direction of a reliable .rar plugin for NSIS.
I could host all of this if FileFront would stop *****ing about "FastPass".  :D
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
I used this.

The only thing that was wonky was that it created a directory called "Freespace 2" within my Freespace 2 directory, but that may have been my doing?
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
I used this.

The only thing that was wonky was that it created a directory called "Freespace 2" within my Freespace 2 directory, but that may have been my doing?

Odd. It didn't do that for me. I'll look into it. did you change the default install directory? was it an empty folder, or did it have some files in it? Which files?

EDIT: alright, I re-installed using the lastest one. I don't seem to get any extra Freespace 2 folder. Unless this happens to someone else as well, I'm going to consider this a freak occurence.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 09:56:05 pm by Turey »

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
New version of Installer.

This is a minor update. If you have already installed using the previous version of the installer, there is no benefit to uninstalling the old version and installing this new version.

Due to Mobius' question, I took the 710 patches out of the main installer download. It took me a while, but I finally found a file host (www.mydatabus.com) that fulfilled all my requirements. The installer now downloads the 710 patches from there, and the size of the installer has shrunk to 8.78 MB.

The installer now contains two versions of launcher6.ini. If you don't install the MediaVPs, it will give you a launcher.ini that only has the exe selected and nothing else. If you install the MediaVPs, it replaces it with a launcher6.ini that has the Media_VPs folder selected as the mod.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
A minor thing but can you use mediavps instead of Media_VPs.

Life gets so much easier if everyone uses the same names.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
3.6.9 - RC 7.8 - Mk. 3 is out! See changelog above for more details.

This is a minor update. However, all users of previous versions are advised to update to this version to insure mod compatibility.

If you previously installed with the MediaVPs option selected, and you don't want to re-download the MediaVPs, just follow these steps:
1. Rename the Media_VPs folder to mediavps
2. Run reverttoretail.exe, selecting all options.
3. Download and run the new installer. Check the install boxes for the MediaVPs that you already have installed.
4. When it tries to download the MediaVPs again, you can just hit cancel and it will use the already-installed MediaVPs.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
1. Rename the Media_VPs folder to mediavps

:lol: Let me guess: you raised the wrath of karajorma?

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Not quite the wrath. Just a friendly suggestion to make things easier for everyone :)

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
:lol: Let me guess: you raised the wrath of karajorma?

It was an easy change anyways, and I wouldn't have found the other two problems without looking through the code again, which kara's suggestion made me do.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Ehm,I have a "mediavps" folder too...should I change its name? :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
You have the right name already :p

Offline bloated

is the hud upgrade included in these patches.

the radar screen on the bottom on my latest patching on a different computer isn't showing the 3d map it's the old 2d which I noticed the hard way during missions is almost impossible to navigate reliably on the fly. :hopping:

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
The 3D radar is turned on via the launchers command lines. Check Features->HUD->Enable 3D Radar.

Offline bloated

ok I will stop asking questions that have easy answers...... at least for now  :doubt:

p.s. thanks.

Offline dr22

Hi All; I went to your download sight and downloaded, but I did have problems with doing it. ie, I have broadband but it still took 6 minutes to download, maybe my problem. Then when I tried to install, it asked me what program I wanted to use to open it. What program do I use to open it? Or do I need to have fs2 open when I try to install? Any help would be appreciated. Thank You.