Author Topic: OLD FreeSpace Open Installer  (Read 761862 times)

Re: FreeSpace Open Installer! Download it now!
Hey Turey,

I've been checking out your installer. Unlike for Bak :(, it works fine for me!

I'm new so I've been following the dead links all around the forums, and trying to understand what I need and don't and where to get it. I have it about figured out now, and I'd like to make a comment.

It would be neat if you and ShivanSPS could merge somehow. You have an uninstaller, he has more mods.
Your installer works to update his install I think, but I'm not sure it recognizes files that don't need updating, maybe it does.

You are more current with launcher 5.5 and the 369dot7 exe.

You both have the Derelict mod. He doesn't have Just Another Day but he has many mods besides that.

Yours requires the original install. while his doesn't. Unfortunately he doesn't include the mve cutscenes, which are now preferred.

You both seem to use the exact same mediavps files. The difference is that your adveffects files are installed into the mediavps folder, whereas his require that extra step for activation. I understand his reasoning but I side with yours because I assume that anyone who figures out FS2 SCP will be able to live with the adv files until they figure out if they want them.

To other new users, I wondered why both installers included Derelict, and the reason appears to be because of its quality. It has real voices during the missions and briefings, a good story, reasonable difficulty and length, extra models, etc.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Exe updated, see changelog for details.

It would be neat if you and ShivanSPS could merge somehow. You have an uninstaller, he has more mods.
Your installer works to update his install I think, but I'm not sure it recognizes files that don't need updating, maybe it does.

You are more current with launcher 5.5 and the 369dot7 exe.

You both have the Derelict mod. He doesn't have Just Another Day but he has many mods besides that.

Yours requires the original install. while his doesn't. Unfortunately he doesn't include the mve cutscenes, which are now preferred.

I don't think we'll merge anytime soon, if at all. Our solutions for installing serve different parts of the community, and I don't think we could serve as much of the community if we merged. That said, we have been talking recently about making our install solutions more compatible with each other. If anything definite happens, we'll let you guys know.

As for recognizing files that don't need to be updated, that's quite a lot of work.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline ShivanSpS

No nesesary... try the Trueupdate program... I made some tests some time ago... basic.

Well for example, you place a .ini in the folders which the current vercion, and a direct download file from somewhere, the True Update what she do is a check, the vercion data in the .ini must be the same than the vercion data in internet, if not, Trueupdate proceds to download a file and places/run or wharever which him.

The problem which this system is... the file must be always the same one (like your new installer, which updated infomacion).

so, resuming, after thinking it well, merging our systems will only create us problems and delays, BUT I will be like have the same folders names...

My problem isn't installing y0our installer, its weapons after I get everything installed, I have none in the awakenings mod, rockeye in the derelict mod, and none in the FS2 training.
All vista problems can be corrected, by upgrading to XP

Offline Shade

Try with a new pilot and see if that helps.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
EXE updated, option to download .MVE cutscenes added.
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Creating a new pilot didn't help, but I did find a solution, since I already have the mods that come in the installer, I simply don't install the mods LOL. If theres a mod I don't have I'll either install it or get it. but the installer packages you put together are totaly awesome man thanks.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
EXE updated, option to download .MVE cutscenes added.
Nice. Next time I need to install FSO somewhere, I'm totally using your installer.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Another program I use works something like this:

It has a text file on the server called update.lst, which contains the CRC values of each component.
When you run the updater it downloads the list, compares CRC's against what's installed, then downloads the difference.

The bonuses are that the server saves traffic, and all updated users have the same file versions, so troubleshooting new problems is easier.

I'm not suggesting anybody do any coding though. From reading the forum it's obvious how much progress has been made very recently. If I had found SCP a few months ago before ShivanSPS and Turey had done such good work, I would be in bad shape!

A good installer tends to move a lot of energy away from "Getting the thing to work" and re-focus that energy on content, where it rightfully belongs.

Thanks again fellas!

Offline Turey

• Installer dude

It has a text file on the server called update.lst, which contains the CRC values of each component.
When you run the updater it downloads the list, compares CRC's against what's installed, then downloads the difference.

The bonuses are that the server saves traffic, and all updated users have the same file versions, so troubleshooting new problems is easier.

The only problem with that is that most of the mods that the Installer downloads are hosted on the mod's website, which means keeping the update.lst, well, up to date would require more work on the mod creator's part, which I'd rather not do.

EDIT: exe updated, homesick added, really stupid bug with cutscenes fixed.

Homesick is the last one I'm putting in myself. You guys want more mods/campaigns, bug the creators to make mod text files or make them yourselves.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 02:58:30 pm by Turey »

You guys want more mods/campaigns, bug the creators to make mod text files or make them yourselves.
Since you've made the format for including mods "open", I'm sure that will work itself out in time! ;)

I think the mods are secondary compared to getting an up to date clean install of FS1 and FS2, because without that who would even know what a mod was?
So, aside from the latest exe and media vps, what other core files would you need to track? I guess I'm trying to figure out how to implement an updater as opposed to a first time installer.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
So, aside from the latest exe and media vps, what other core files would you need to track? I guess I'm trying to figure out how to implement an updater as opposed to a first time installer.

Not counting mods, all the files that would need to be updated are either:
1. in core_files.zip.
2. mediavps.
3. fs2open_pxo.cfg.

I could make an updater... hmmmm......

The only problem with that is that most of the mods that the Installer downloads are hosted on the mod's website, which means keeping the update.lst, well, up to date would require more work on the mod creator's part, which I'd rather not do.

EDIT: exe updated, homesick added, really stupid bug with cutscenes fixed.

Homesick is the last one I'm putting in myself. You guys want more mods/campaigns, bug the creators to make mod text files or make them yourselves.

Bug the Creators LMAO, I like that. Brother the thing you put together so far is WAY more than I could ever do, therefore its WAY good enough for me, I can either find the mods, or "bug the creators" LOL
Never been to hyped about bugging the creator though. :)

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
exe updated.

The installer now includes an updater. Just run UpdateFreeSpaceOpen.exe in your freespace2 directory and it'll ask which sections to check for updates. Please note that it's not asking which files to update, but which ones to check for updates. If it finds updates for those files, it will update them.

And I know the updater says it's an uninstaller, but don't listen to it.

The updater doesn't update mods yet, but it will once I put up instructions on how to get the mod text files to work with the updater.

EDIT: Info on making mod text files work with the Updater is up. However, the Updater won't do mods yet. I'll put it in soon.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 06:33:46 pm by Turey »

Your one of the Freespace Gods aren't you?
I just installed the latest and greatest, of your creations, I have voice AND sound in silent threat now :) I bow to you. If your ever in Va Beach, Va and need some auto work done let me know. I work on cars.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
* Turey is tired from doing too much work on the Installer today.

exe updated, changelog..... blah, blah, blah.

As per Goob's request, Mod text file format has changed. See how to make mod text files here.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 12:17:26 am by Turey »

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
exe and changelog updated.

Sync and Transcend have been added. Thanks to  Ransom Arceihn for making the text files.

The Updater will now update Mods as well.

Man, that is super cool, thanks Turey!

I'm out of town now and I can hardly wait to get home and try it. No question that this is a huge boon to the project, thanks again!

Huggybaby

Offline Kegel

Since this installe ris being updated every day, would you reccomend waiting a while before we install?  I just reformatted and am looking to reinstall FS2 but dont want to do it every day.  I own the original disks so this installer is perfect for me.  Does every update require you to uninstall and then reinstall again? 

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
Since this installe ris being updated every day, would you reccomend waiting a while before we install?  I just reformatted and am looking to reinstall FS2 but dont want to do it every day.  I own the original disks so this installer is perfect for me.  Does every update require you to uninstall and then reinstall again? 

Installer isn't going to be updated until 3.6.9 is out, which may be a while. Besides, an Updater is included, just run that to update.

I'm working on rewriting the Installer in Java anyways, as NSIS is a bit too limiting. 3.6.9 will probably still be NSIS, but 3.7.0 won't.

And for anyone who's interested, an Alpha version of the Java Installer will be here before Christmas.