Author Topic: OLD FreeSpace Open Installer  (Read 761896 times)

Re: FreeSpace Open Installer! Download it now!
Ranaming from zip to jar worked, thanks.

Yes, I have your utilities, that's the only way I can run your jars. Not sure what separates your jars from others though.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
In preparation for 3.6.9 Final, the Installer has been updated. Unless large problems are encountered, this is probably the version that will be the 3.6.9 Final Installer.

Changes:
Tidied up some code.
did a full test to make sure that everything works.
Added the .ogg cutscenes for FS1&FS2.
Added a RENAME command.

To-do:
1. Purge all traces of the NSIS Installer, make it obvious that Java is now the only supported Installer.
2. Finalize the Mod Text File Format, and start giving back control of the mod text files to the mod creators.
3. Finally get someone to test this thing on Linux and Mac, so that I can start fixing problems and adding more support for those OSes.
4. 3.6.9 Mediavps.
5. More Mods.
6. GUI.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
Installer now installs 3.6.9 Final.
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Have the fs1 mve files been converted to ogg as well?

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
Have the fs1 mve files been converted to ogg as well?

both .mve and .ogg cutscenes for both games are included.

Do you have a link? I found the FS2 ones here even though I got them from the installer, but the installer doesn't have the FS1 vidz as a separate option (I'll check again though).

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
Do you have a link? I found the FS2 ones here even though I got them from the installer, but the installer doesn't have the FS1 vidz as a separate option (I'll check again though).

You have to select to install the port to see them. Instead, try using the Updater to get them.

OK, I'll check a bit later thanks. http://www.fsoinstaller.com seems to be having trouble now.
<edit> That worked, the updater has a finer granularity than the installer.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 12:51:55 am by Huggybaby »

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
Installer updated.

After finally finding a Linux tester, and working through some bugs, the Installer is now confirmed to work with Linux. However, I don't have the Linux Binaries in there, and you can't use ~, you have to use an absolute pathname.

Offline Agent_Koopa

• These words make the page load that much slower.
I'm running this to upgrade my version of FSOpen to 3.6.9, is that going to work?

Also, the .jar file, (once I have your utilities, that is, (why must I download your utilities to make an installer open?)) opens in a command-line interface. Is this supposed to happen? It's running right now, but I don't understand what it asks me, so I just say "yes" to everything. What are the 710 patches? Will this even work? Is this really the official installer?
Interestingly enough, this signature is none of the following:
A witty remark on whatever sad state of affairs the world may or may not be in
A series of localized forum in-jokes
A clever and self-referential comment on the nature of signatures themselves.

Hobo Queens are Crowned, but Hobo Kings are Found.

Offline miskat

There is no "official" installer as such.  All the available installers a slightly different and pretty much all are viable.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
I'm running this to upgrade my version of FSOpen to 3.6.9, is that going to work?
yes.

why must I download your utilities to make an installer open?

you don't have to. If you know the other ways of running a .jar file, you can use those. The utilities are simply provided as a convinience.

opens in a command-line interface. Is this supposed to happen?
Yes. I'm working on a GUI, but for now it's command-line only.

What are the 710 patches?

they fix problems with the mediavps.

Will this even work?

Yes.

Is this really the official installer?

I can't speak for the SCP Coders, but this is about as official as you're going to get, and right now this is the only way you arre going to get .3.6.9 Final (short of doing a manual install.)

Offline Agent_Koopa

• These words make the page load that much slower.
Ah. Thank you!  :D Sorry if I came across as a bit impetuous, I really appreciate the service you've rendered here for us.
Interestingly enough, this signature is none of the following:
A witty remark on whatever sad state of affairs the world may or may not be in
A series of localized forum in-jokes
A clever and self-referential comment on the nature of signatures themselves.

Hobo Queens are Crowned, but Hobo Kings are Found.

Offline miskat

Well, I decided to give Tureys installer a go, just for kicks.

And, comparing it to my manual install, I found something odd: in my manual install, in the last "mission" of the FSPort version of the main FS campaign, after your ship leaves subspace with the Lucifer getting blown apart behind you, you are flying straight toward the GTI Arcadia "First Fleet HQ" which is just in front of Earth.  Earth does not appear in Tureys installer.

*shrugs*

Kinda strange, but it makes me wonder if this is the only instance of this kinda thing.

It is worthwhile to note that in both my manual install AND in Tureys install I used the LightspeedFS2.vp pack and used a modified 3.6.9 branch exe with MadProf's voice recognition modifications, as downloaded in the voice recognition topic.

EDIT: On a re-try I noticed, also, that oddly enough, there are no briefing voices, either.  In fact... as far as I know, no voices at all.  Could be wrong, though.  Defenitely no briefing voices.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 10:37:07 pm by miskat »

I don't suppose you kept your old manual install so you can compare the differences.

I have noticed some small but important differences between Turey's and Shivans install. I burned my Shivan install to DVD to use as a base, then I can update with Turey's when need be.

Offline miskat

Indeed, I actually switched between the two a few times to see the differences.

details...what did you notice?

Hi Turey,

This is awesome. Thanks so much for making the life of us n00bs so much easier.

I have a question... Early on January 1st (very early) I setup my FS2 install from scratch via the FreeSpace 2 Online Installer I downloaded from your website. Everything was running fine. Just now I tried running the FreeSpace2OpenUpdater.jar program and it's pretty much telling me that all my files are outdated.

Is that right? Have there been any last minute changes that I possibly didn't receive the first time?

Edit: Now that the updater is finished I ran it again and this time it said everything is up to date. However, I noticed when it was running that several of the cutscene files failed to download. I'm going to try to download them manually.

I suggest you add an updater log to list any files that didn't download correctly. Also, I suggest you add a "Yes to All" option in the installer/updater so that users can walk away from their PCs while the install/update is in progress.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 04:47:03 am by schmosef »

Offline Kaine

Hi Turey,

This is awesome. Thanks so much for making the life of us n00bs so much easier.

I have a question... Early on January 1st (very early) I setup my FS2 install from scratch via the FreeSpace 2 Online Installer I downloaded from your website. Everything was running fine. Just now I tried running the FreeSpace2OpenUpdater.jar program and it's pretty much telling me that all my files are outdated.

Is that right? Have there been any last minute changes that I possibly didn't receive the first time?

Edit: Now that the updater is finished I ran it again and this time it said everything is up to date. However, I noticed when it was running that several of the cutscene files failed to download. I'm going to try to download them manually.

I suggest you add an updater log to list any files that didn't download correctly. Also, I suggest you add a "Yes to All" option in the installer/updater so that users can walk away from their PCs while the install/update is in progress.

I second all of this. I have to ask.. what method do you use to decide whether files need updating or not? imho it would be best to have a small database of md5 hashes of various recent versions of the files, and compare the hashes of files it finds in the freespace directory (through a recursive search) and decide what is old & needs updating that way. The installer seems rather useless at working out what needs updating if it is trying to work from a manual install. it operates on the premise that its log files are accurate... and when it is creating them on first run they are never going to be accurate, so i've found it is re-downloading gigabytes of stuff i already have.

Secondly, the .jar extension and console are definately not user friendly, and are counter-intuitive to the goal of simplifying the install process.

We all very much value the idea and the effort that you've obviously put into this, but the execution is really too crude in its current state for mass use. some kind of IDE and smarter version checking would go a very long way to making this an invaluable peice of software. I'm sure if you put the word out you'll get some great support from fellow SCP coders to make this work.

Good luck and good on you for getting the ball rolling on something that will eventually prove vital to the SCP :)

Yes, I'm sorry but can anyone tell me how to find Tureys Java Utilities? I found it once, installed using the java, and forgot about it, but now my friend wants to use this, but I can't remember where it is.

Edit: Found it, it was on the fourth page, Turey, I suggest you put that before the .jar files, so noobs know where it is.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 10:04:59 pm by Starkweather »