Author Topic: Post Capella, would another Colossus be built?  (Read 64536 times)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Re: Post Capella, would another Colossus be built?
There are mines in Cardinal Spear, if I remember well.

And this concept was also used in Colony Wars ;7
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I never figured out how those mines worked ya know....hm...should check the weapons.tbl  :nod:

Anyway, anything that makes it harder for a enemy to come trough a node is a step in a right direction. minefield, debris field, static defense cannons, long-range missiles and guns...arrange all that around a node and NOTHING...NOTHING will come true
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Shivan:Well were almost there.
Shivan:Emerging from subspace.
Shivan:Mice hull intergerty at 50, 40, 20, 1, well were dea......

:D
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
I don't know how normal mines work...

Other stuff can be activated with is distance < X and self destruct...
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
I never figured out how those mines worked ya know....hm...should check the weapons.tbl  :nod:

Anyway, anything that makes it harder for a enemy to come trough a node is a step in a right direction. minefield, debris field, static defense cannons, long-range missiles and guns...arrange all that around a node and NOTHING...NOTHING will come true

Blockading a node with that is a good idea, first a layer of mines backed up by a second layer of sentry guns. The only problem is that its also easy to destroy (specially if the mines have a homing capability), if you block the node with that, send a lot of debris through it first and it'll take out at least the mines.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Though JAD tought us all that we can't be sure of the entrance point and/or the orientation of a ship arriving from a subspace corridor :lol:
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Rubbish...we can be sure of it.. any time the GTVA blckades a node enemy ships ALLWAYS come in the same direction..

Remember the NTF gauntlet?

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
And does the GTVA know if its forces are blockading the node on the right side?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
Yes they do--it's how they setup their fleets. It's probably something logical like you're entering or exiting the node in a strait line with the actual orientation of both jump nodes, regardless of the distance.
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Bob-san beat me to it! :hopping:

He's right.. How does the GTVA know how to set up it's mjolnirs if not the fact that there is only one possble facing when EXITING the node?

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
I don't know exactly how, but the GTVA and Shivans have always sortied forces on the "correct" side of a jump node... everything from the failed "intersection" of the Iceni at the jump node (mission 2 or 3--I don't remember) to the final mission (attempting to prevent the interception of fleeing transports)... everyone has always jumped into the correct "side" of the jump node. The Mjolnirs is exactly what I was talking about--they blockaded the node correctly by setting up said Mjolnirs pointed for the exit-area of the jump node.
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.

Offline Talhoe

If you really want to solve the problem of invasions, you can always send a destroyer packed with Meson bombs into the node :D
The statement below is false.
The statement above is true.

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I dont get it ! The colossus fired upot the sath with about 6 or 8 beam cannons or were there more of them??  With that many beam cannons almost as powerfull as the BFReds and with the added range bonus how the hell can the Colossus be defeated!

Also Also as for the Colossus MK II it would be an improved version of the first one! A few twicks and upgrades here and there to make it more manouverable or more powerfull or whatever! Perhaps if will only carry about 200 spaceships to make room for more reactors so that it does not fry its damned beam cannons and reactors when engagde in heavy combat! ( I wonder if they actualy made those reactors to be overloaded for so long) I mean sure they did it but hey those ractors took the strainf for some time before colapsing under the huge power requirments!

Also for the love of god why on earth would you place slashers ona ship that BIG ! They are absolute rubbish on such a ship this has got to be the most humonguos mistake GTVA enegniers and designers made! Just arm the damned thing with BG BFG and LRBFG!
Die shivan die!!
Then jumps into his apple stealth pie and goes of to war.What a brave lad....what a brave lad say the ladies in red.

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

This is Bunny . Copy  Bunny  into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
Yes they do--it's how they setup their fleets. It's probably something logical like you're entering or exiting the node in a strait line with the actual orientation of both jump nodes, regardless of the distance.

The same vector you enter a node is the same vector you leave a node regardless of distance. There, solves everybodies problems. Why would people think that if you enter on one vector, that you'd leave subspace on some random different vector? It's retarded thinking really.

EDIT: ummm, lol, i don't put things ****ing odd in responses. In other words i'm agreeing with you bob-san since i'm using you're quote, but the way i wrote doesn't seem that way even though it's another person who has the same thoughts :)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 03:12:49 am by S-99 »
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
The GTVA engineers never though the Volosuss would have to fight a ship like Sathanas. That's why they never developed anything more powerfull than a BGreen. The ship wasn't design (and the beams too) to be overcharged.

Now if a new Colosuss were to be built, some changes will of course be made. Better heat sinks, better beams..otherwise there's little point in making another one.

im just gonna jump in here and point out that while the GTVA colossus was able to focus, as AlphaOne states, 6 to 8 beam cannons on the Sathanas juggernaut, it just cant fire as quickly or sustain its fire as long. As a result the colossus would probably be able to get off hmmmm.. 2 shots from all their cannons while the shivans hit them 5 times everyshot? well in the end the colossus will be destroyed much more quickly.

Back on topic, i think the GTVA will construct a new version of the colossus, but only one. Since its gonna be pretty expensive to build alot of them. construction will be much quicker because a lot of proven tech would be integrated into the new design, not to mention the GTVA would prolly have learnt a couple of things when constructing the first colossus. Added with possible new technology and weapons, i cant see why wont the GTVA build a new one. plus you have the added benefit of the new colossus being a massive deterrant to any sort of rebellion or revolt that might arise. heck it could also be the new symbol of unity for the GTVA

well yeah that what i think

Offline Snail

• SC 5
There are alternatives, that's why they're not used in many campaigns.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
IMHO, the new Colosuss should be shaped like a ring with hordes of beam cannons - the perfect node blockade ship...a Sathanas jumping in goes straight trough it while hte beamz pummel it from ALL sides!

Offline Snail

• SC 5
IMHO, the new Colosuss should be shaped like a ring with hordes of beam cannons - the perfect node blockade ship...a Sathanas jumping in goes straight trough it while hte beamz pummel it from ALL sides!

Then that's not exactly a Colossus, then, is it?

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
No, ti's BETTER :p