Author Topic: GTVA Advantages?  (Read 31577 times)

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
It would be around 70 I woulds say.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
SOC is smart...tehy woudl send automated robot drones.... or would do like Zeff Brannigan and just "send wave after wave of men, till they (shivans) reach their programmed kill limit and shut down"  :lol:
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
I love that show. :lol:
[ON topic] Does the GTVA have robots?They have Hordes of men. :P
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

SOC is smart...tehy woudl send automated robot drones.... or would do like Zeff Brannigan and just "send wave after wave of men, till they (shivans) reach their programmed kill limit and shut down"  :lol:

Its Zapp Brannigan...

There are the Amazon Advanced bots.
Its proven that MY computer can simulate a GTVA pilot. Im sure a computer 300+ years in the future can do the same...
Just don't give away the homeworld...

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
Definitely. They just need to tweak the AI a bit. I have no doubt that even their least-powerful computers are at least ten times faster and better then ours are.

Anyways--I'd say about 80 Shivans to a Cruiser. Other then that, I will say that the SOC has quite a few people. Consider the fact that they have been able to man a destroyer, not to mention the support ships, corvettes, and cruisers. I'd say they have quite an elite pool of pilots and their other ships are basically all seasoned vets. Even with barebones crews, they're the best.
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.

Offline Frosty

Anyways--I'd say about 80 Shivans to a Cruiser. Other then that, I will say that the SOC has quite a few people. Consider the fact that they have been able to man a destroyer, not to mention the support ships, corvettes, and cruisers. I'd say they have quite an elite pool of pilots and their other ships are basically all seasoned vets. Even with barebones crews, they're the best.

Id have to agree, plus i'm sure that SOC can pretty much get help from GTVA any time that it wants.

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter

Just out of curiosity, what destroyer?  :wtf:
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline akenbosch

• Pretentious Noob
  • doesent care about canon
hes refering to inferno, when the SOC had grown some more.

Burn the sucker out of the sky!
EAT PHOTONS INFIDEL! MAY THE HEAT OF A THOUSAND SUNS CONSUME YOU! :mad2:

snail gives a debriefing: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,48825.msg991954.html#msg991954

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
 :wtf:

Inferno is not canon.
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline akenbosch

• Pretentious Noob
excactly.

snail gives a debriefing: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,48825.msg991954.html#msg991954

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
What'd i'd do with a shivan freighter if i were soc. Is force open the entry hatch in space, and send wave after wave of amazons to try to fit their way through that hatch.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
IIRC, the GTA already had research done on shielding before the Shivans appeared. Regarding sensors, it was basically a way to detect Shivan ships, nothing more.

Where did you get that info from? :wtf:
Its loosely suggested in the FS1 Dev Bible.  I would say generally speaking that it suggests that Terran scientists experimented with shield technology but couldn't make it work.  Thus capturing the Shivan version allowed for a rapid breakthrough.  Can be considered anywhere from canon to semi-canon depending on how far you read into it. Allegedly the research was being done on GTI Riviera which is the installation which is destroyed in the FS1 opening.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Agreed but then again the SOC tech eveolved a lot faster then the normal GTVA tech! This would mean they would manage to kill off shivans a lot easier and faster then in FS1! One shot one kill sort off! Also let us not forget shivans are not invulnerable! If they did manage to capture something like a Moloch then i supose that would explai the condition of those maras!
Die shivan die!!
Then jumps into his apple stealth pie and goes of to war.What a brave lad....what a brave lad say the ladies in red.

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

This is Bunny . Copy  Bunny  into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
C'mon people, it's hardly possible that the SOC, by itself, would be able to board and capture a shivan ship. The SOC handles surgical strikes and covert operations, that together with the GTI rebellion means their numbers are probably few, the GTVA would be unlikely to allow that their intelligence arm (the GTVI) control a considerable force that may pose a threat if they decide to rebel. And if the SOC had that many people, first: they wouldnt be so much "secret" anymore, and second: they wouldnt be so elite anymore.

If the SOC wanted to make a boarding op, their only part on it would be planing it together with whoever would be in charge of the marines and disabling the ship, the GTVI would arrange the best marines they could and use them to board the ship.

Other then that, I will say that the SOC has quite a few people. Consider the fact that they have been able to man a destroyer, not to mention the support ships, corvettes, and cruisers. I'd say they have quite an elite pool of pilots and their other ships are basically all seasoned vets. Even with barebones crews, they're the best.

That's not canon, stick to the facts, please.

Why do people think Inferno is even canon to begin with? :rolleyes:

Agreed but then again the SOC tech eveolved a lot faster then the normal GTVA tech! This would mean they would manage to kill off shivans a lot easier and faster then in FS1! One shot one kill sort off! Also let us not forget shivans are not invulnerable! If they did manage to capture something like a Moloch then i supose that would explai the condition of those maras!

There is no such thing as SOC tech, it's the GTVA that develops the technology.

Offline akenbosch

• Pretentious Noob
its only the SOC that tests it.

although i liek the idea of a SOC fleet, regardless of canon. they're the best, right? then they deserve more than a stinkin bitmap-medal.

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
hes refering to inferno, when the SOC had grown some more.
Actually no I'm not. I'm assuming that the GTI of old (with the GTD Hades) has the same or fewer people then the GTVI of new. Even the fact that they've used corvettes is an indication of numbers--I would assume that they could man a fleet with at least a single destroyer, several corvettes, and probably a handful of cruisers. They are likely to have more ships then they can really man, though they have those under GTVA control or skeleton crew.

Anyways--I'm not saying that the GTVI has 10,000 people, but it definitely has enough to have a substantial marine force.

EDIT: One thing--I've never played Inferno that much---I've gotten a few missions in, but nothing further. What I said is not based on Inferno--it's based on FS1:ST.
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.

The GTVA has already captured Shivan cargo, remember the first mission to capture the Knossos portal from the Shivans?  There's a bunch of crates with their freighters dropping off stuff.

Besides, SOC only needs to secure a Lilith-class cruiser for LReds and BFReds (by supersizing the technology).  Capturing a Moloch will let it have access to intact fighters/bombers within its fighterbays.

Now, to pull off these kinds of operations, they need to have met certain criteria:

-the SOC needs to jam communications in the area so Shivan warships can't call for help (this is doable, since the GTA Hamako jammed NTF comms while you were doing the hijacking of the Sunder)

-have the weaponry to quickly disable and disarm the warship, and take out any fighter wings so they don't escape (also doable, SOC had Erinyes fighters with Kaysers, + Stilletto II's to bust up turrets and engines)

-have the troops and firepower to takeover the ship (I'd say SOC can pull this off too, we know the size and toughness of a Shivan, so the GTVA has had 32 years to develop weapons suited for killing Shivans quickly and efficiently, give these to SOC soldiers and they will wipe the corridors clean of Shivans)

-have some vessel able to haul away the disabled Shivan warship (an Argo transport or a Triton freighter should have sufficient power to carry a Lilith out for sure, might need 2 Tritons for a Moloch)

So you see it's not impossible, and if it's not impossible then SOC will pull it off.  After all, SOC is known for doing suicide missions and coming back home successfully  :nod:

Offline akenbosch

• Pretentious Noob
er...the triton can only dock in-beteen its arms. an argo would be more suited (or a GTFr chronos, but they scrapped those)

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Agreed! Also why do people believe the SOC and the GTVI to be that small??? they would have at least 1 fleet ! I mean when considering the size of the entire GTVA fleet 1 fleet is nothing !

also Whyle i belive the GTVI to have at least 1 fleet i do not believe the SOC would have such a ship at its disposal right away perhaps they make use of the GTVI destroyer that may be available to them! Also i believe the SOC to have mainly corvettes and cruisers ! However a poket size destroyer would not be such a bad idea for the SOC!

Even the GTVA has the tech and skilled pilots crews to capture a shivan warship! Rememeber it is not the ships that suck but rather the orders and tactics!
Die shivan die!!
Then jumps into his apple stealth pie and goes of to war.What a brave lad....what a brave lad say the ladies in red.

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

This is Bunny . Copy  Bunny  into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I highly doubt that the GTVA could capture a shivan warship capable of housing fighters. Even more so in the nebula. Even more so early in the campaign. They most likely captured it like the Dragon was captured in FS1. The Dragon in FS1 had a faulty drive because the GTA had dificulty modifying the ship, which didn't seem to be a problem with the Maras.

Beg differ, worth remembering that they at the very least captured one Shivan transport in FS1, transport implying high numbers of personnel aboard; more than a warship. There is implication that other Shivan ships were captured as well; we know that the original attempt to capture a Cain failed, but at least one command briefing implies that both Terran and Vasudan forces had made other captures in roughly the same timeframe, and as the war wound down following the destruction of the Lucifer it is probable more capture operations were attempted. It is entirely possible that the capture of a Shivan capital warship like a Demon has been attempted before, or even succeeded.

Given the difficulties experienced in boarding operations against Shivan ships before, it is also extremely probable the GTVA has developed some kind of specialized anti-Shivan weapons for its soldiers and marines in the event this is necessary again. While I doubt anything short a heavy grenade launcher firing a shaped charge (which is possibly what happened in Hallfight) or a shoulder-fired missile could bring down a Shivan with one shot, it's well within the realm of possiblity for the kinetic-kill weapons we saw in Hallfight to be refitted to fire a HEAT or shaped charge round that could probably punch through a Shivan carapace and hurt it, or kill it with several hits.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story