Author Topic: renegade "vae victis" project: need help.  (Read 91773 times)

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
Re: renegade "vae victis" project: need help.
Most of what you are talking about are FRED issues.

Have all those ships with active fighter bays and then you Fred the patrol ships leaving the line bays, then you Fred the fighters launching... It's not automatic you have to tell the game do this at this time or event or waypoint etc...

You can make conical bolts but I would think they need to be pofs shaped.

I never tried a conical image so I have no idea if that would look right in game?

"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Offline starlord

It woudn't need to be that much conical.

Also, regarding the system map, I would like a FS1 style animated map of the shannedam count systems (To my knowledge, there are no 3D representations of shannedam). How can I do that exactly?

Offline Topgun

how too make it or how too put it in the game?

Offline starlord

How to make it, I'd say! :)

Also, I was woundering about the capital ship's gun bays: The ships have 4 weapon systems:

-spinal mount: huge frontal cannon
-gun bays: big laser guns clustered together (think stalinorgel) in 10, 25, 50 or 100 varieties.
-missile system: big nuclear missiles capable of launching from any angle (to destroy, disable the missile control subsystem).
-turrets: for point defense: Those turrets contain interceptor class beams or missiles for use against interceptors.

Regarding the gun bays: Is it possible to make a 100 gun bay register as 1 freespace turret? (when you disable the bay, you disable all the guns inside). I was thinking about small anti fighter freespace beams (to use against ships and sometimes to snipe at fighters), so a 100 bay would mean 100 anti fighter beams fired simultaneously at a capital ship.

Is this feasable?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 02:26:10 pm by starlord »

Offline Getter Robo G

I believe there is a total of 86 or 89 turrets per ship... One less after the spinal mount etc...

You migth be able to mess with appearance with firing points on a turret (ie like 10 per) but don't quote me on that it still might count?

"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
can cap ship shields regenerate too? also, I'm afraid I didn't quite get that part about the uneven armour.

Capship shields are possible even without any shield models. (there is a flag you have to set for the ship in the tbl and set it's shield value to something)
Their shields also regenerate, but at the standard fighter rate. To remedy this you'd have to use set it's shield re-charge rate manually (which should be possible in 3.5.10, together with reactor output)
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

*shamelessly plugs his shivan mod*

Lucifer ships.tbl entry:
Code: [Select]
$Name:                          Fleet Carrier
$Short name: SSuperD
$Species:                       Shivan
+Tech Description:
XSTR(
"Fleet Carriers serve as the flagships of our battlegroups. Five reactors along the ship power thirteen Heavy Plasma Cannons and a massive shielding system, the only ship larger than an Assault Bomber to possess shields. The Fleet Carrier is equipped with facilities for building and repairing fighters, bombers and sentry guns and can house enough ships for the battlegroup. Only two Fleet Carriers have ever been lost, one disappearing in subspace a long time ago, and another disappearing along with its battlegroup when investigating increased subspace activity with previously unknown signatures. It was later revealed to have been destroyed by the Terrans.", -1)
$end_multi_text
$POF file:                      capital02.pof
$Detail distance:       (0, 5000, 13000, 30000)
$Show damage:           NO
$Density:                       1
$Damp:                          0.2
$Rotdamp:                       1.5
$Max Velocity:          0.0, 0.0, 15.0
$Rotation time:         200.0, 200.0, 200.0
$Rear Velocity:         0.0
$Forward accel:         20.0
$Forward decel:         10.0
$Slide accel:           0.0
$Slide decel:           0.0
$Expl inner rad:        100.0
$Expl outer rad:        4000.0
$Expl damage:           1000.0
$Expl blast:            4000.0
$Expl Propagates:       YES                                                     ;; If set to Yes, then when the ship dies, the explosion propagates through it.
$Shockwave Speed:       600.0                                           ;; speed shockwave expands at, 0 means no shockwave
$Shockwave Count: 4
$Shockwave model: shockwave_red.pof
$Default PBanks:        ()
$Default SBanks:        ()
$SBank Capacity:        ()
$Shields:               800000 ;; Shields from fsport
$Shield Color:          255 92 92
$Power Output:          100.0
$Max Oclk Speed:        24.0
$Max Weapon Eng:        100.0
$Hitpoints:                     800000
$Flags:                         ( "capital" "big damage" "in tech database" "surface shields" )
$AI Class:                      Captain
$Afterburner:           NO
$Countermeasures:       0
$Scan time:                     20000
$EngineSnd:       176                   ;; Engine sound of ship
$Closeup_pos:           0.0, 0.0, -3440
$Closeup_zoom:          0.5
$Shield_icon:           shield-capital02
$Score:             1000
$Subsystem:                     turret01,1.0,6.5
$Default PBanks:        ( "Heavy Plasma Cannon" )
$Subsystem:                     turret02,1.0,6.5
$Subsystem:                     turret03,0.5,0.5
$Subsystem:                     turret04,0.5,0.5
$Subsystem:                     turret05,0.5,0.5
$Default SBanks:        ( "Shivan Cluster" )
$Subsystem:                     turret06,0.5,0.5
$Subsystem:                     turret07,0.5,0.5
$Subsystem:                     turret08,0.25,0.5
$Subsystem:                     turret09,1.0,6.5
$Subsystem:                     turret10,0.25,0.5
$Subsystem:                     turret11,0.5,0.5
$Subsystem:                     turret12,0.5,0.5
$Subsystem:                     turret13,0.5,0.5
$Subsystem:                     turret14,0.5,0.5
$Subsystem:                     turret15,0.5,0.5
$Subsystem:                     turret16,0.5,0.5
$Subsystem:                     turret17,0.5,0.5
$Subsystem:                     navigation,             4,0.0
$Subsystem:                     weapons,                1,0.0
$Subsystem:                     sensors,                10,0.0
$Subsystem:                     engine 1,               5,0.0
$Engine Wash: Default1100
$Subsystem:                     engine 2,               5,0.0
$Engine Wash: Default1100
$Subsystem:                     communication, 2,0.0
$Subsystem:                     fighterbay 1,           0,0.0
$Subsystem:                     fighterbay 2,           0,0.0
$Subsystem:                     reactor 1,  1.085,0.0
$Subsystem:                     reactor 2,  1.085,0.0
$Subsystem:                     reactor 3,  1.085,0.0
$Subsystem:                     reactor 4,  1.085,0.0
$Subsystem:                     reactor 5,  1.085,0.0

"surface shields" is the flag you want. Note the $Shields:, $Shield Color: and $Shield_icon: entries.

Offline starlord

Interesting regarding the shields. Furthermore, to keep fighting leviathans a dangerous affair when using interceptors, I would set the shields at a good recharge rate. Also, I would set a shield generator subsystem, so that the shield is destroyed when the dater one is disabled. Is that possible?

Getter robo G, What you said regarding weapons, I didn't understand. Is it possible to model a 100 gun bay and to make it count as 1 turret (yet firing simultaneously 100 anti fighter beams). Is it possible?

Also, back on the fighters with uneven armour (like the penetrator): If uneven armour doesn't exist, could it be possible to "cheat" by using uneven shields (in that case, weaker side shields)?

Thank you all for your feedback. With your help, I might just succeed in preserving the renegade legion.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
IIRC, setting shield strength per side is not possible.

Making different ships parts with different armor rating should be possible once all that armor code gets worked out...methinks.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline starlord

That's interesting.

now for the node map: how can I create a FS1 (2D as no 3D documents on the renegade systems exist) animated nodemap of shannedam county? Could you please cover this step by step? (be sure to check out the shannedam system map in the renegade.7z file).

Offline starlord

Also, perhaps it's possible to "cheat" regarding the turrets: Important weapon systems like the capital missile silos, the spinal mount or the weapon bays could be made subsystems instead of turrets, no? Regarding the missile system for instance: Silos are all over the ship, making fire from any angle possible. Instead of creating a huge number of silos on the ship and have to disarm them one by one, I would rather create a missile weapon subsystem (somewhere on the ship) and destroy it to ruin the missile firing capability of all the ship.

Also, is it possible to create a shield generator subsystem and make the cap ship shield fall to 0 immediately when the subsystem is destroyed?

Offline starlord

Hello guys:

A VERY unfortunate turn of events today: I managed to find nearly all I needed regarding leviathan ships, yet it seems we will have to graphically design most of them.

I've found this piece of info: http://www.warpfish.com/jhan/ft/rl/index.shtml

Seems very good, however this means more ship designs (although fewer more) and most of all several inconsistencies with my script. I can still maintain the seneca cruiser being very scarcely used by the lictor, however, the morkanium is a basic destroyer (not a carrier), and the canis is a destroyer carrier and not a cruiser carrier. Also, we will have to "make" a cruiser carrier and, most importantly, give it a suiting name. I already can think of a few, like "basileios", "alexius", "vicarius" or "cicero". You could approuve or not. :D

Also, despite my new post, I still need those answers to the questions I posted earlier. Any ideas?

Offline Getter Robo G

sorry to butt in but real quick.

"Surface Shields" tag works in 3.6.9? or do I need to use .10?

I think it worked in 3.6.9. Make a mission with a lucifer in it using my mod, run it in 3.6.9 and shoot at it.

Offline starlord

I suppose it's futile to ask, but would anyone here possess any of those?

-renegade legion TOG fighter briefing
-renegade legion commonwhealth/renegade fighter briefing
-leviathan capital ship briefing (especially this one).

It would seems I badly need them. If anyone here has them please PM me.

Offline starlord

Good news, I found some old renegades scattered out there on various forums. It seems they will be able to give me several scans of the said briefings.

Stay tuned: You are going to see lovely pics soon.

Offline starlord

All right, It seems I got 3 of the 4 briefings necessary: I got the 2 fighter briefings and the tank briefing. However, I'm still awaiting the leviathan cap ship briefing to re-organise my campaign. Without it, my work remains stuck.

any suggestions?

All right, It seems I got 3 of the 4 briefings necessary: I got the 2 fighter briefings and the tank briefing. However, I'm still awaiting the leviathan cap ship briefing to re-organise my campaign. Without it, my work remains stuck.

any suggestions?

Ebay.

That's where I got my RL stuff. Though I don't have any of it with me, nor do I have anything Leviathan related. Though Leviathan is the coolest one of all.

Offline starlord

Don't worry: I've been there: It's sold out everywhere I go. :(

Offline Backslash

• Bring Our Might To Bear
About the nodemap question:
Outside of the game, it's just an animation.  I'm no artist so I can't help you there -- all I know is, someone makes a picture/map, then makes different animations panning across different systems.  Some of the more clever people make it in some 3D modeling program.

Getting it into the game I can help you a bit with.  Get AniBuilder and AniViewer from the FAQ's tools page.  I suggest you use them to look at FS2's command briefing animations.  Extract them, see how they work.  ANI files are just a series of PCX pictures, all with the same 256 color palette, stiched together with AniBuilder to playback at a certain FPS speed.

Since you already have a map, turning it into the animated frames you want is where you need to start.  Hopefully there are tutorials out there -- maybe the same methods for making animated GIFs could apply.  Worst case, you could do it brute force by making hundreds of copies of the map, renaming them to have sequential filenames (i.e. map0000, map0001, map0002 etc), then crop and save each... but surely there's an easier way!

About the shield generator question, yes that is possible.  I'm sure the Star Wars mod uses it.