Author Topic: The official Diaspora eyecandy thread  (Read 390203 times)

Offline torc

• Diaspora SFX engineer
Re: The official Diaspora eyecandy thread
i remember the throttle system in scar episode...when strarbuck glides for see behind her  :nod:
indossare una divisa può avere un prezzo alto...ma a volte...è troppo alto!!! Bill Adama

Well, the MkII has thrusterpedals.

Must be weird to pilot....

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Not necessarily. What thrusters do those pedals control?
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline torc

• Diaspora SFX engineer
i remember viper mkII have throttle too... take a look at some image of the cockpit on google  :)
indossare una divisa può avere un prezzo alto...ma a volte...è troppo alto!!! Bill Adama

Offline newman

Took this shot from one of the quicktime VR videos they used to have on the sci fi website:

Doesn't look too ergonomic to me but it might be the throttle. This is the early version of the cockpit so they might have replaced it with something more sensible later - preferably something that can control power for each engine separately.
At any rate, I was never a fan of the thruster pedal theory. It's a fighter, not a damn car.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline torc

• Diaspora SFX engineer

At any rate, I was never a fan of the thruster pedal theory. It's a fighter, not a damn car.

Agree... Viper McRae dirt II  :)

Took this shot from one of the quicktime VR videos they used to have on the sci fi website:

Doesn't look too ergonomic to me but it might be the throttle. This is the early version of the cockpit so they might have replaced it with something more sensible later - preferably something that can control power for each engine separately.
Thats exacly my thoughts

Plus that joystick.. i had AN exact same joystick... years ago its a pc stick look at the base... its square a real joystick  in a fighter that uses a stick between the legs dosent have that square base so im thinkign they just did not have a throtel stick at the time and the show had to go on so they dint put 1 but now if you look at thrustmaster cougars ect throtels are easy to find  so they prolly added it later.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 09:35:29 am by Dermeister »

Offline torc

• Diaspora SFX engineer
is an f 15 eagle replica stick...anyway doesn't matter: i like to think viper have throttle  :)

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Speaking of the Mk II cockpit, I recall there was some good progress being made on that model. A picture isn't needed here, but it would be nice to hear that some progress has been made.

;)
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline newman

Speaking of the Mk II cockpit, I recall there was some good progress being made on that model. A picture isn't needed here, but it would be nice to hear that some progress has been made.

;)

No progress has been made on that. Can't be everywhere at once :)
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
It happens, good Sir. And thank you for the response!

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Offline newman

No probs. We're still hoping we won't have to cut out the mark 2 cockpit out of r1.

Offline Snagger

People criticise me for making parallels between our real technology and BSG's fictional technology.  You could rationalise it any way you like - they have different conventions for flight controls than we are used to, based on out atmospheric fighters, or more simply that the production team didn't think as hard about it as the fans do, but that can't be a throttle lever - it's too far aft for a start and doesn't have the kind of grip required for a primary flight control of a high-g craft.  Levers of that nature and in that position in real aircraft tend to be emergency controls, like emergency engine shut-down levers or standby hydraulics gear lowering.

As for thrust being controlled by pedals, I always assumed that Kara's pedal movements were for her yawing turn to face the raiders, not for throttle control.  Mind you, there is that line in the mini-series where Kara rams Lee's Viper to save him at Ragnar; "Kicking-in the burn!", which gives credence to the thrust pedal theory...

I don't think the controls were ever really made clear in the show and were probably never defined by the prop or production team, just using a joystick with rudimentary movements instead, a bit like in "Galaxy Quest".

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
People criticise me for making parallels between our real technology and BSG's fictional technology.  You could rationalise it any way you like - they have different conventions for flight controls than we are used to, based on out atmospheric fighters, or more simply that the production team didn't think as hard about it as the fans do, but that can't be a throttle lever - it's too far aft for a start and doesn't have the kind of grip required for a primary flight control of a high-g craft.  Levers of that nature and in that position in real aircraft tend to be emergency controls, like emergency engine shut-down levers or standby hydraulics gear lowering.

As for thrust being controlled by pedals, I always assumed that Kara's pedal movements were for her yawing turn to face the raiders, not for throttle control.  Mind you, there is that line in the mini-series where Kara rams Lee's Viper to save him at Ragnar; "Kicking-in the burn!", which gives credence to the thrust pedal theory...

I don't think the controls were ever really made clear in the show and were probably never defined by the prop or production team, just using a joystick with rudimentary movements instead, a bit like in "Galaxy Quest".

the show contradicts itself occasionally. I guess this happens, when you doing it "rule of cool" style.
In "Hand of God", Adama tells Starbuck, that she wont fly the mission, as her knee wont take it.
"The thruster pedal, requires so much force to activate... you have to jam the pedal near the firewall for x seconds...or you die...".

In the same episode, Apollo uses his joystick, to activate reverse thrust.

So both are "canon", though i like the thruster stick on the left side better then pedals.

Offline newman

Bottom line, I'm doing an accurate canon one the way it looked like in the show. If someone wants to think something is a throttle, they're welcome to. Same goes for anyone who wants to think thrust is controlled by a pedal :)

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
In the original BSG, there were "Turbo" and reverse thrust buttons on the top of the stick - that might explain some things there.

Also, we might assume that the stick, which does not presumably have a twist axis in the show (and I can't think of a real-world aircraft that has a twist stick) will roll and pitch the fighter. In most aircraft, the rudder pedals also act as brakes, so keep in mind that pedals are "multi-axis" in themselves. Although several different set-ups can be envisioned or described, it's entirely possible that rudder pedals could be employed as a throttling device. In fact, such a mechanism would direcly translate to a differential thrusting set-up, allowing the Viper to pull complex maneuvers which by means of the RCS alone might not be possible.

That said, the stick might affect the roll and pitch RCS while also delivering pitch differential thrust under certain flight limits or extremes (such as in trying to re-align the relative flight vector). Meanwhile, pedals, by using the "toe" push might induce the yaw RCS, while using the actual translation of the pedal might work on the primary throttle. In such a case, there would need to be a means of making differential thrust in yaw a conscientious consideration, and not an accidental case of not pushing hard enough on both pedals at the same time. And that's only one possible control scheme, but it does make sense if you allow it do be considered critically. If that is the case with controls, I'd want translational controls (lateral and vertical thrust) to be managed on the left console where our mystery lever is located.

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Offline torc

• Diaspora SFX engineer
i think you can bind your controls like freespace!  :)
Anyway i think we have to assume that BSG is really inspired at the real air forces... so i think show contradict itself because the needs of the productions (pulling a stick for stop the viper is more ''easy'' to make understand the message at audience)  :nod:

Yea i really think that probably it was left to the actors discretion as long as it looked cool and got the mesage across.... because i don't think the producers cared or knew anything about flying any how lol but come on in the most common sense it would make sense to have a throttle.... its why our real planes use it its the easyest and most common sense to do it.

But i mean this is just talking for talking if you are trying to copy the pit from the show then it doesn't look like it has a throttle stick but maybe they dint have time or the money to put 1 in in any case it doesn't matter .... 1 observation led to this huge discussion lol
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 02:17:34 pm by Dermeister »

I'm going with the "it was never defined" theory. RDM had stated that BSG was never going to try to explain the technology of the universe too in-depth; the producers and writers didn't want the show bogged down by gadget talk like Star Trek. How does DRADIS work, or FTL, or even the throttle control on a Viper? No one knows, and probably never will; it just wasn't pertinent to the story.

Offline CooperHawkes

• NippleNeck (at least i got something to play with)
I see two possible solutions right now:

1. We somehow turn this into a fully fleshed out physics debate, that ultimately leads to topics like "how much force can the average human knee withstand?", "Is the awesomeness-factor of the Adama Maneuver directly related to the coolness-factor of the namegiver's mustache? Or is it exponential higher?", "Would a Viper even get out of its launch tube if Fat Lee was piloting it?" and so on...

2. We do it like the writers/producers/cutters/whomever did: We Don't Care. There were joysticks pushed to pitch the Vipers upwards. Joysticks pulled to engage afterburners. The only scene i can recall, where they really cared, was Starbuck disengaging engines to turn around in "Scar". Everything else was just someone pushing, turning, moving or bending something in the cockpit.

Ooh, i've got a third solution: we discuss what kind of controls a Viper would actually NEED to be piloted the way it is portraied in the series. I own an X-52 and pedals and i had a hard time when i tried to setup the controls like they are in the show (despite the fact, that we just don't have enough information to do that). Like Thaeris said, the sticks in the show don't seem to have a twist, so roll has to go another stick-axis or to the pedals. As the show is inspired by real world aircrafts, it goes to the stick, yaw to the pedals. And the latheral trhusters? Hm... show's sticks only have a 4-point coolie hat, damn thats not good, can't go upwards and sideways at the same time, blabla, and so on and so forth. I gave up on it and set them up like i like them.

And the fourth solution out of the two:
Praise the modelers! Cause they are doing a good job on bringing the cockpit/s into the game, like its/they are seen in the show ;).
take me out to the black,
tell 'em i ain't coming back,
i don't care, i'm still free,
you can't take the sky from me