Author Topic: cruisers vs destoryers  (Read 24142 times)

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
I don't see why people have all decided that ETAK must be huge and massively power consuming.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
I don't see why people have all decided that ETAK must be huge and massively power consuming.

Any prototype tends to either suck terribly, drains energy like a running tap at full speed, or both.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
It's essentially a translation device. It uses the same communications equipment as everything else. There's nothing to suggest that it would be energy intensive.

and what do these people use for money anyway?

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
C-Bills.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Credit cards? :nervous:
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Their markets are probably dominated by Hydrogen and other natural resources.

Offline eliex

I don't think that there would be a Delta-Serpentian Dollar or a Capella Crown would there?  ;)

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
Honestly, if they're as culturally developed as the FS1 tech made it sound, they might not have a need for currency.

Offline eliex

Just for interest which part says that?

Perhaps instead of currency, the market has reverted back to the BC ways of goods - gold, metal, furnished material = nebula gas, metals from asteroids, space-craft.
But what happens down on the planets? Surely things cannot change so drastically over the period of 300 years.  :)

Considering the Orion tech room description states "The cost to build one outweighs the cost to pay it's crew for 3 years"[more or less],  I assume they still have a monetary currency.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
lol . . . oops . . . you're right of course

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I don't think that there would be a Delta-Serpentian Dollar or a Capella Crown would there?  ;)

I's like a wallet full of capellan crowns, :yes:

Or Ribos Biscuits :nervous:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I'm not reading the whole thread, it looks like it's off topic anyway now, but part of the reason for the change is the lack of the term battleship.  It's become commonplace in sci-fi universe creation to leave out the designation battleship as a space craft class because of the word 'ship' in it.  That was, I think, a big cause for the shifting around of the terms.  Destroyer as stated ended up becoming what is basically a battleship/light carrier.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Imperial Star Destroyer anyone?

Why in Babylon 5 is the Earth Ship an "Omega Destroyer" as well? Larger than the earlier "Heavy Cruiser".

Writers in non-contemporary settings don't give a crap about convention, they care about what sounds cool. And Destroyer sounds cooler than Cruiser, though of course that's up to debate. Cruiser only sounds cool imo when it's got other modifiers on it, like Battlecruiser, or Warcruiser.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
 :wtf:   umm... I don't think they just pick any bass-ackwards name just because it sounds cool. There's always a seed of convention.

I think that "Cruiser-Destroyer" makes perfect sense.

:wtf:   umm... I don't think they just pick any bass-ackwards name just because it sounds cool. There's always a seed of convention.

I think that "Cruiser-Destroyer" makes perfect sense.

Yeah, convention, as in, Star Wars convention. Of course I don't know that, I'm only guessing, like everyone else. Some people care about contemporary or WW2 parallels and some people don't. Do we know what sort of person gave the ships names? No, not really.

But seriously, does anyone think any large ship in sci-fi would be called a Destroyer if not for the ISD and Star Wars? Well I'm sure someone else would have continued the trend at some point, but perhaps not with the same impact. I think most large ships called Destroyer in sci fi are called as such because of the ISD myself.
     Dreadnought is another seriously overused term. It's cool that FS2 went with Juggernaut instead (hmmn, was the Samatra a Juggernaut? Samatra / Sathanas . . hmmn. Maybe it was just a battle platform).

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
Wouldn't a Dreadnought be more like a normal sized capital ship armed with only large beam cannons for taking out large ships? The HMS Dreadnought wasn't considerably larger than her contemporaries, IIRC, and usually is Sci Fi Dreadnoughts aren't enormous.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
I always felt that a dreadnought had both the armour and firepower to be a real threat on the battlefield, basically a tank, and it was always enourmous.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I believe the original qualification for being a dreadnought was that the main batteries of the ship were all of the same caliber (rather than of mixed calibers.)