Author Topic: PCS2 User to User Help  (Read 109516 times)

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Re: PCS2 User to User Help
I'm using the 2.1 Alpha release from Jan 4th.  Sometimes it works but normally every time I save a file in any format I get a crash.  Now the model saves just fine and can be opened but it's a real pain.  Happens on at least 2 different systems.  Any idea what could be causing this?  I didn't have this issue with 2.03. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
The 2.1 Alpha was never supposed to be released, it was development code.  Stick with 2.0.3 based builds.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Can't save as .dae with 2.0.3.  Going to try installing in a separate directory to see if I can use both. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
For this reason, I have 3 versions of PCS2.
One for POF -> DAE, one for DAE -> POF, and one for everything else.
I keep them all in the same directory, and it works for me (though I do have to keep in mind what I want to do when I select the version of PCS2).
I've found that the newest Collada-capable one tends to crash on opening POFs (but writes POFs from DAE just fine), so I use an older version of the Collada one for exporting to DAE. The Non-collada one is pretty stable for everything else.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Not _the_ 2.0.3 build, but the 2.0.3-based builds with DAE support.  There's one on the Collada Importer page on the wiki in my sig, near the bottom.  The 2.1 Alpha one might be useful in some situations, I won't rule that out, but its ability to save POFs is probably broken, importing them as well perhaps.  But DAE->PMF and PMF->DAE might work, so using both builds side by side might not be a bad idea actually, because I know Spicious made some changes to it since the Nov 2.0.3 based build.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline jacek

Is on forum any tutorial which explain how to use PCS 2 with .dae format? I was looking for it but I can't find anything..

I was trying to export easy ship from 3dsmax (I name it "detail0" I also reset xform) and when I try to load it in PCS like I was loading .cob files I get a little object which isn't visible and whatever scale I set up it always has size 0.2 to 0.2 to 0.2..

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Yup, I was asking around for that a week or two ago but nothing yet really that's Max-oriented or app-agnostic.  Just the Blender one in the wiki.

Is there anyone who uses 3ds max and the collada exporter who'd be willing to post a screen shot of their 3ds max heirarchy (with names)? It would be very much appreciated.

I'm trying to rig a model in 3ds max, for conversion to .dae, but I can't figure out what is happening. LOD's won't work and turret firing points don't appear.

Never mind, the heirarchy is the same as the blender heirarchy.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 03:58:11 pm by bobbtmann »

Offline jacek

It is the same but did You finaly export your models in .dae format to PCS2?? If Yes please tell me what You do cause I don't know what I'm doing wrong...

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Yes please tell him.  Also you might bug Scooby, I think he was one who has done a lot of exporting from Max with Collada, and had mentioned he might try to get a rough guide together.  Bug him until he decides it'd be easier to write it down once :)

Don't tell him I sent you though.

Well, it would be better to say I had it working. I made a model with one turret, made heirarchy with helpers, converted it and ran the game. In the game I ended up getting a ship with a giant turret and a firing point that was fifty meters away from the turret itself, and pointed in the wrong direction.

I went back into max, reset the xform, rotated my helpers, brought it back into the game, and it stopped working. Completely. If I open up my model in modelview, the turret and all it's information is there. It just doesn't appear in the game. And PCS2 crashes the moment I click on the turret.

So this is the heirarchy I'm pretty sure I had when I got it to work. The objects "detail0" and "turret00" are geometry, the rest are helpers.

detail0
       |
        --> turret00
                      |
                       -->helper00
                                  |
                                   --->firepoints00
                                  |                 |
                                  |                  -->firepoint00
                                  |
                                   --->properties00
                                                     |
                                                      -->$fov=180
                                                     |
                                                     -->$name=laser_turret
                                                     |
                                                     -->$special=subsystem

n.b. It didn't work until I had made the properties helper. I'm not sure if you can enter them into the turrets user defined attributes or not.

Sorry I've been just too busy on and off the computer lately.  It WILL be done, just a matter of when.  :)

Bobbtmann If your using Studio max you don't need the Properties00 helper. 

Right click on the object->Object Properties->User Defined

You can enter the properties there exactly as they would appear in PCS2.

In fact I wrote a small max script that applies the necessary data to turrets and engines.
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
There are some other requirements on turrets as well.  Top mounted multiparts turrets need to be facing forward and have their normals pointing straight up, bottom mounted, facing back and normals down.  I don't know how that applies to side mounted or omni-mounted.

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
You'll need to define the forward and up vector for any turret that is not aligned directly up or down.
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline jacek

Ok. I finally attain to export model to PCS2 in .dae format but PCS didn't load my UV coordinates...

I'm using Deep exploration 5 cause 3dsmax 2009 dae exporter doesn't work..

Can somebody help me..?

There are some other requirements on turrets as well.  Top mounted multiparts turrets need to be facing forward and have their normals pointing straight up, bottom mounted, facing back and normals down.  I don't know how that applies to side mounted or omni-mounted.

I normally do port side mounted turrets (0-180) facing forward, starboard (181-359) facing back..

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Here's a few that might help:

ColladaMax NextGen

ColladaMax OSS

Usermade ColladaMax 2009 64bit binaries

I don't know if either of those will work better than the default Max Collada support.  ColladaMax itself hasn't been updated since 2007 so I don't know if you'd be able to use the old binaries with Max 2009.  Those might far better, or they might function exactly the same, I don't know.

I normally do port side mounted turrets (0-180) facing forward, starboard (181-359) facing back..

0-180 is a range of 181 numbers, and 181-359 is a range of 179 numbers.  Is that right?

Also Scooby, if jacek were to get you one of the files he's trying to set up for export, you could look at it and give some pointers?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 02:16:39 pm by chief1983 »

Angles actually... ummm based on the front going back axis (Y-axis in max)
I don't remember about turrets that slope forward or backward though.

Offline jacek

Thank You very much chief1983!!  :D
I checked all those links... and only one works.. ColladaMax OSS!!

To all people who have problems with using collada export.. remember:
-model should be triangulated
-history should be cleared
-use ColladaMax OSS it works with most 3dsmax version..

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Glad I could help again.  Hopefully I'll get to see the fruits of your labor soon :)