Author Topic: PCS2 User to User Help  (Read 109498 times)

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Re: PCS2 User to User Help
Quote from: PCS 2.0.3 Stable (May 15 2008 17:42:39)
Warning OGL reported "invalid value" at .\pcs_file.cpp (2143)
please report this issue to Bobboau

...or else...

Option: "Use OpenGL VBOs (if able)
Action: Selecting any item in SubObjects.

Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
In fact I wrote a small max script that applies the necessary data to turrets and engines.

Scooby, think you could put that script out there for others to borrow?  :)
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Will do.... making a tutorial right now.
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline jacek

HOW TO CONVERT MODEL FROM 3DSMAX TO PCS2 USING COLLADA
(this points will be probably attached to upcoming tutorial created by JGZinv):

First thing is to choose good collada plugin cause for example 3dsmax 2009 internal collada plugin didn't work properly.. I finally install ColladaMax OSS and it works well
https://collada.org/mediawiki/index.php/ColladaMax_OSS

Another thing is to reset x-form It will let PCS2 to set up bounding box properly. When we 're converting model we mustn't forget about name convention (hierarchy). All name rules for collada format is on freespace wiki.

Last thing: If You want to have Your model looking nice You mustn't forget about smoothing groups. I suggest to assign to one face(triangle or poly) one smooth group not more! Cause during conversion it generates some errors and probably our model in PCS won't look as we want.

I hope You understand cause I come from Poland and my english isn't good.

Enjoy!

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Thanks guys!
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
I wouldn't get all too fired up right away on my account at least.

I'm just trying to amass information about "the correct way" of doing things
from people that have actually produced ships recently. Having several year
old tutorials that may or may not apply to the current situation - just ain't cutting it.

I've got a 25+ model backup at FringeSpace waiting on me to deal with, and I know
next to nothing on conversions. So I've got to make a tut one way or another, just
to keep stuff straight in my head. Might as well write it for novices while I'm at it then.

If Scooby is going to make one, I'll be more than glad to help in whatever way I can.
He'll probably be much more capable than I am right now.

Right now I've only written up to the point of getting Max, Blender, and PCS2 installed and setup
to be used. All the mess afterward, will be the real meat and potatoes of the problem.
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

FRED debug (RC3) says "Serious error loading model ArmedCargo.pof: 120 normals capped to zero" when I add this thingy (attached). What does it mean?
FSO debug keeps quiet about it, and the extended FS2_Open.log doesn't seem to show anything out of the ordinary either.

(By the way, I'm not planning to actually use this POS anywhere. It's solely for getting-started purposes.)

[attachment has decomposed]

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
That occurs when one or more verticies have normals that are not numbers, which is usually a problem in the model before conversion. Looking at the model, there do appear to be some faulty polys beneath the front and back of the multipart turret. The rest I suspect can be fixed by recalculating the normals - which app was this in just prior to conversion?
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Made in Blender (the multipart was stolen from the Aeolus :nervous: ) , converted via Collada. Apart from fixing them, how to recognize faulty polies?

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Ah excellent. In theory then all you should need to do is select all in edit mode and press Ctrl+N->click to confirm to recalculate normals to be outside the enclosed volume. :)

As for how to recognise them, that comes with experience mainly, but something that can definitely help is to have nothing selected in edge mode and go to select -> non-manifold (menu at the bottom of the 3d window). This will select all edges that are not a part of the continuous volume such as those around a hole in the mesh, or loose edges between verticies that don't actually have a face there as well.

For more info on that and other common mesh errors, have a look at the Geometry section of the Blender->POF wiki page: http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Blender_to_POF_Conversions

(I think I'll siggify that link actually - getting tired of finding it by rummaging around in the wiki every time ;) )
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Just recalculating normals doesn't seem to work :nervous:

.blend file attached, in case it can help; at first, I thought it could be the not-closed "shell" shape of the multipart causing it, but both the Aeolus and the Triton get away with it.

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Oh, I think I see it - don't use Ngons as you have on the docking port disc and the flat surface it's sitting on. :)

To remove them, select all faces, press F -> clear Ngons. When dealing with geometry destined for FS, stick to triangles and quads only if you have to.

In fact, make the little docking port disc separate from the box geometry, but still part of the same mesh. (Ie, if you select any face on the box and press Ctrl+L to select linked faces, the docking port won't get selected.

Also, your front and back turrets have their normals inverted - select all faces and press W->flip normals to fix.
Twisted Infinities

Clearing the NGons ... didn't work either :nervous: Strangely enough, the model I based it from (attached) doesn't have the problem. So (I think) the problem is either in the turrets (possibly somewhere during converting all the way to .blend and back, or a bad alignment?), or in the "armour plate" I added at the bottom. But that one's simply an extrusion, so I doubt it's that.

Do you mean separating the entire docking cylinder or just the top face? And what's the advantage of doing it that way?
(Thanks for pointing to the inverted normals btw, I'm still trying to figure out how to find them on my own :) )

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Well, the extrusion isn't quite that simple - what you actually did was extrude three separate faces rather than the whole region of the bottom. This just means that you have 8 hidden faces beneath the two apparent 'edges' across the armour plate. They *shouldn't* be causing the vector error, but the faces are occupying exactly the same space as each other, and that's not a thoroughly reliable state of affairs. You could fix it just by deleting the internal edges and then welding the verts that are in the same space. If you're not sure what I'm talking about I'll take a pic. :)

About separating the docking cylinder - I mean the whole thing. You currently have it fully built into the surrounding face it's sitting on, which is guzzling a lot of polys it doesn't need to. Try just sitting it on top like this: http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y184/VA--Twisted_Infinities/BlenderTutorialStuff/DetailType2.jpg
Twisted Infinities

Oh, so that's the difference between region and faces... Fixed that, separated the docking cylinder - and now it works!
Since the dockport doesn't give errors on the other model, I guess it was the extrusion. Thanks a lot for your time :)

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Question: has anything been done about the VBO/omnipoints-related crash that occurs for certain computers (particularly mine)?

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
anyone know where i can get the most recent pcs2 source? im kind of intrested in creating a terrain/planet generaton plug-in/external utility (which would output to pmf).
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
The Alliance CVS server to my knowledge.  Browser  Client setup help

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
theyre still using cvs? this sucks.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Scaling is a bit off.

I got a fighter of EXACTLY 20 FS units and a scale conversion factor of 1... that means my fihgter should end up 20 meters long...it ends up 28 meters long. Thing for some reason keep ending up bigger. Tried it several times and I can confirm it without doubt.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!