Author Topic: Freespace 3: The Shivans  (Read 24232 times)

Freespace 3: The Shivans
So heres my idea  for what might happen in FS3, Seeing at the end of FS2 with the Death of Alpha one, the GTVA is totally screwed. Not to mention the royal asshanding that just got delivered to them, its only a matter of time before the shivans attack and finish them off. So, what if in FS3 what happens is that we play the role of the Shivans instead of the GTVA? With all the mystery surrounding the shivans and their motives, this could be the wrapping up of loose ends for freespace. This would tell their side of the story, explain their motives, etc.

Discuss!

Offline GTSVA

• Born to Fly
    • Minecraft
Re: Freespace 3: The Shivans
ehhhh
What's up?

Freespace: Amit
Forums: GTSVA        
High Scores: Natroz

But but but... I like the Shivans being all mysterious and unknowable!  :shaking:
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline ThesaurusRex

• What good would that do? I need a drink.
It would be excessively complicated deciding how to make the Shivans behave. Also translations during conversations briefing and etc. would just drag on and on.
My application asked me for 1000 words so I just drew them a picture.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Someone didn't get the memo on the 3 characters/numbers to never use together.   :rolleyes:
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline eliex

One of the best things of FS is the lack of knowledge about the Shivans. If we suddenly know the Shivans back to front, FS won't be as good anymore.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
One of my treasured conceits is the use of ETAK to obtain intelligence on the Shivans. Even then, I don't want them humanized, and I can get away with that partly because I don't have to let the player see the intercepts, and knowing what someone is saying, or doing, does not necessarily grant insight into them. The Shivans are, and should remain, a mystery. They shouldn't really make sense even when accurately predicted and monitored. They're simply too alien for that.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline High Max

• Permanently banned
\
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 05:12:26 pm by High Max »
;-)   #.#   *_*   ^^   ^-^   ^_^

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Yes ,FS3 should be about Terrans ,go fly Tides of Darkness if you want Shivan campaign.  :)
Flaming Sword's Shivan mod also have a campaign ,but rather short and not as intresting as TOD.
In my opinion a mod closest to FS3 was Inferno ,it had FS feeling and continued FS tradition of making huge ships ,as well as copying some FS2 mistakes ,making it feel even more FS-ish.
( when I was playing INF first time I though it's canon FS3 ,it was a suprise when I read it isn't )  :)

Rule Nr1: Don't mention usenet FS3
Rule Nr2: Refer to the above rule.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
well... and then how the shivans get around those collapsed nodes? oh ****! I forgot about that... they can rebuilt them... but how much time does it take?? do we have half a life time so we can make another giant flying brick and then we call it colossus X2?  :D
el hombre vicio...

While we're at asking strange questions:

So what if the Shivans are just servants who work for someone, and the universe is far bigger and more full of life than we can imagine?
'Teeth of the Tiger' - campaign in the making
Story, Ships, Weapons, Project Leader.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Meeeeh.

TBH, I used to like the idea of a Shivan campaign until I played Tides of Darkness. Really, it was very well FREDded, with excellent mods, and I could smell how much work went into it... Just, I couldn't get interested in it. I just couldn't picture the Shivans the way they were portrayed in that campaign. I know I should've enjoyed it, because it was a brilliant piece of work, it's just that I couldn't get into it... Now I feel kind of guilty... :nervous:

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
So heres my idea  for what might happen in FS3, Seeing at the end of FS2 with the Death of Alpha one, the GTVA is totally screwed. Not to mention the royal asshanding that just got delivered to them, its only a matter of time before the shivans attack and finish them off. So, what if in FS3 what happens is that we play the role of the Shivans instead of the GTVA? With all the mystery surrounding the shivans and their motives, this could be the wrapping up of loose ends for freespace. This would tell their side of the story, explain their motives, etc.

Discuss!

Cool story brah!  :yes:
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline High Max

• Permanently banned
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 05:12:12 pm by High Max »
;-)   #.#   *_*   ^^   ^-^   ^_^

Offline Snail

• SC 5
TBH, a species that is on the same side as the Shivans, does the same thing as the Shivans, are the creators of the Shivans but is just a lot more powerful than the Shivans, seems completely redundant...

Offline dragonsniper

• Master of the Irrelevant
    • Steam
I've heard various people here say that FS3 was FSO... However, it's an interesting idea. The main problem that I have with it is that we don't know enough about the Shivans. They were a mystery to add to the suspense of FS. The creator of FS3 (thank the gods that it's NOT Derek "Smart") would have to make up the whole background for the Shivan race and a lot of other minor and larger things. It's a cool idea, but it would take a lot of time. Plus, if you messed up on it, then FS1/FS2 would wouldn't be as much fun. I like having the constant mystery of what the Shivans really are, where they came from, and who exactly they destroyed before FS1 and FS2.
Do or do not, there is no try...
~HLP Member and Modder~
          ~~2008-201x~~

Offline Snail

• SC 5
IMO the Shivan mystery should never be explained. At least, not in an obvious and stupid manner.

Offline dragonsniper

• Master of the Irrelevant
    • Steam
IMO the Shivan mystery should never be explained. At least, not in an obvious and stupid manner.
I agree. I really don't think that it could be without screwing something in the story up.
Do or do not, there is no try...
~HLP Member and Modder~
          ~~2008-201x~~

Offline Snail

• SC 5
It could be explained in a cryptic way at least, but saying it up front, like "Pilots, we have the Shivan's master plan. The Shivans want to mine gas that's why they blew up Capella lol"