Author Topic: Freespace 3: The Shivans  (Read 24261 times)

Offline High Max

• Permanently banned
Re: Freespace 3: The Shivans
=
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 05:44:17 pm by High Max »
;-)   #.#   *_*   ^^   ^-^   ^_^

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Supernova nucleogenesis is an EXTREMELY well-established and well-supported theory. Unlike string theory, it makes testable predictions which have been confirmed.

If you know any science you wouldn't even put them in the same sentence.

Offline High Max

• Permanently banned
+-+
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 05:44:29 pm by High Max »

Offline mxlm

Or maybe what Petrach said in the cutscene that followed the supernova was what Volition was intending for us to take it as. "What if they are exiles like we are searching for a way back home, and the destruction of a star is a bridge back to their universe?" Something like that. Why would Volition put that in there if it means nothing?

Some Volition person at some point said that the Shivans are a symptom of a much bigger problem, yes (no idea when or where or in what context, but whatever, I keep seeing the claim so I'll perpetuate it)? The obvious question if the Shivans are 'exiles' is why are they exiles? I suspect the answer to that would lead into the 'ships as big as planets' thing some people have claimed Volition said. I also strongly suspect that we wouldn't end up knowing much more post-FS3 than we already do, as Volition seems well aware that the answer to mysteries tends to be less compelling than, y'know, the mysteries themselves.
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Ships as big as planets... :wtf:

Offline Killer Whale

• Oh no, not again.
That wouldn't be fun...

Offline eliex

. . . for the lower-end rigs at the very least . . .

Offline Mikes

That wouldn't be fun...

Blowing the Death Star up in the X-Wing games was fun, so i don't see whats wrong with it.

Course i'd have my doubts if it would be as easy as flying through a trench and shooting the thermal exhaust port :p

Offline High Max

• Permanently banned
|
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 05:44:02 pm by High Max »

Offline Mikes

Yeah, I remember the mention of "ships the size of planets" and "symptoms of a bigger problem" comments. I brought them up in a thread one time. I imagine you would go inside these huge ships. Maybe "ships the size of planets" is just an exaggeration meaning very large ships like Gargant size.

I guess the real reason Volition put those hints in about what the Shivans are and their origins is not because that is really what the Shivans are supposed to be, but to keep you guessing. That is perhaps why they seem not to make much sense if you combine every hint together and say they are all that. Maybe only some of the hints are true, like Bosch saying they are very old (what if there had been countless races ...... each annihilated by the Shivans) and the Ancients believing they are from subspace, and the tech database saying they were likely constructed by another entity. When you hear the word "entity" it could make you think they were created by some supernatural force, like how they are portrayed in BP, though it probably means another race created them since FS is purely sci-fi.

Actually... if you scroll a few pages back... then General Battuta analogy about the Shivans possibly filling a similar function as "white blood cells" do in human bodies, pretty much wraps up everything that is known about them in a logical fashion, including... especially rather, that final comment about them being the "symptom of a bigger problem" lol ;)

If something along these lines is what :v: had in mind or what their final solution would have been is anyones guess... .  As far as ingame information goes i think it's also pretty clear that you have to distinguish between actual presented fact and speculation of a character or entitiy within the story. But in any case... it actually IS quite possible to fit the pieces together in a coherent fashion, even tho we don't know if the result is anywhere close to what :v: actually did have in mind.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 06:03:22 pm by Mikes »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
The nice thing about the immune-response analogy is that it removes the need for the Shivans to be sapient. Which means they can do seemingly crazy things (like using sucky fighter primaries) while still maintaining their overall menace.