Author Topic: TF-13 Kvasir Advanced Superiority Fighter  (Read 15835 times)

Offline Qent

Re: TF-13 Kvasir Advanced Superiority Fighter
Anyone else just getting a glow for the added Prometheus Cannon projectiles?
Again, I repeat this because nobody said anything.

Prometheus X and Prometheus XF have the blue glow effect but no projectile.
I get the same. laserglow02E is not present.

Although the lasers are really not the focus of the package.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
No, but it's part of the .vp and thus I feel it should be noted.

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
So indeed, LaserGlow02E was missing form the VP.

UPDATE!!!  the VP now includes that laser glow and has been reuploaded.  If you already DL'd the VP and can't be arsed to do it again, the effect is in the DL folder.  

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=054fabcab3c1012c19747bd91027d4dd7af5d669382eab81

Have fun!

Also, the vp has been submitted to FSMods, so stay tuned!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 02:47:20 pm by esarai »
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Axem>   did anyone catch jesus' birth certificate?
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down
<Axem>and he was totally pro tax breaks
<Axem>he threw out all those tax collectors at the temple
<Nuclear>   he drove a V8 camel too
<Nuclear>   with a sword rack for his fully-automatic daggers

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?
RangerKarl|AtWork: stick your penis in the warp core
DarthGeek: no don't do that
amki: don't EVER do that

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
IMPRESSIVE. Such a simple shape and awesome effect... I wish I had such good imagination.
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

First off, a very well done model, I'm loving it. But one gripe I have with it is that the 'intakes' at the top left and right cut into the model. Using PCS i looked inside and saw this and it made me frown. I may, admittedly, be new to modeling, but I don't like it when things like that are intersecting, as opposed to being actually part of the ship, as it should be.

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
@Asteroth: Thanks for the comments.  I'm not entirely certain I get what you mean.  I know the piece you're talking about, but those intakes are part of the model.  I could see it if you meant the engines are not manifold, as in they don't share collinear edges with the hull of the ship. 

If indeed that is what you meant, I understand your concern exactly.  I used to have a compulsion to ensure all my models were manifold. It took me around a year to learn that manifold meshes were not a critical piece of modeling, and could actually cause reduced in-game performance.  As long as non-manifold pieces intersect and do not leave holes, a model is acceptable and will work in-game without causing any strange errors.  Making models manifold, especially on higher detail models, tends to drive the face-count up without adding any additional detail to the model.  The downside of this is that the model consumes more processor power without bringing any extra eye-candy to the game. 

Thanks for your concern and support!

@Kobrar44:  Thanks!
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
I too have a minor nitpick.

From the pics (they always look dark to me, it's just me), you can't see the ventral secondary guns. In MV you can see like 14 of them!!! Why do you need so many on a small fighter?.

Now if you got a bomber varient I can understand but then you'd make sort of a beveled missle PORT with raised tube openings or just a missle tube TEXTURE on that flat surface.

There is no need to actually have 14 separate tubes for your secondaries unless you're making a render quality model. (waste of polys).

Plus when you fire them it only shoots 2 at a time cause you got the harpoon as your defualt secondary, the other 12 guns aren't used until they cycle through each firing.

If I may suggest changing out the actual barrels you got down there out for something like this recessed into the hull:

Something like this:

Ignore the red dot for now (it glows, like for a indicator for sensor beam or just armed activation)
(This is a snippet from the HTL Athena, FYI)

You can rotate it 90 degress to the side and make it horizontal, copy it and make multiple banks, ect.

All that does is eliminate the need to actually model secondaries, once you created the actual housing for them and game the firing area a flat surface to cover over with the texture.

Like on that fighter you made I semi-converted that looks like it has two RL MRL's mounted on it like it's going to launch a massive missile spam on some poor cap ship! :)

[EDIT]: I apologise. You're tubes are recessed. For some reason I saw them as external... I made it a cob and can see it clearly now. It looked different in MV and I didn't look at it in solid mode, just Texture and wire frame. WF mode can often looks different than the actual model.

I can't restore geometry or patch holes since I am not a modler (just an occasional "kit-basher").

« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 12:32:05 am by Getter Robo G »
"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

@Asteroth: Thanks for the comments.  I'm not entirely certain I get what you mean.  I know the piece you're talking about, but those intakes are part of the model.  I could see it if you meant the engines are not manifold, as in they don't share collinear edges with the hull of the ship. 

If indeed that is what you meant, I understand your concern exactly.  I used to have a compulsion to ensure all my models were manifold. It took me around a year to learn that manifold meshes were not a critical piece of modeling, and could actually cause reduced in-game performance.  As long as non-manifold pieces intersect and do not leave holes, a model is acceptable and will work in-game without causing any strange errors.  Making models manifold, especially on higher detail models, tends to drive the face-count up without adding any additional detail to the model.  The downside of this is that the model consumes more processor power without bringing any extra eye-candy to the game. 

Thanks for your concern and support!

I believe we are indeed talking about the same thing. It's still a rather minor gripe and will probably work fine, it just peeves me a bit is all. And I know what you mean  about more faces, I actually had a terrible time trying to make two peices be part of the same mesh, shot the poly count up, and could have been easily avoided if I just intersected them. It was a peeve of my brother's, who brought me into modeling, which beld over into me. Again, no biggie, just wondering if it was intentional.

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
Thanks again everyone.  

Getter, you're probably right, the tubes might be overkill.  I figured with current systems and the drive for HTL that it wouldn't be a problem.  If it is, people should let me know so I can fix it.

Asteroth, yep, it was completely intentional.

Tinman, thanks!

UPDATE!!!  Kvasir is now on FSMods!   http://www.freespacemods.net/download.php?view.568

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Getter, you're probably right, the tubes might be overkill.  I figured with current systems and the drive for HTL that it wouldn't be a problem.  If it is, people should let me know so I can fix it.

You're right that it probably isn't really a problem. :) Remember, though: the lower-poly your ships are, the more of them someone can potentially stuff into a mission without causing slowdowns. :D

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
That looks great. How many primary & secondary weapon points does it have? To me, it looks much more like a fast gunfighter. Reminds me of the Pegasus of course, with a big dose of Star Wars' Jedi Starfighter (Delta-7 iirc).
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
Thanks!  It has 6 primary ports spread among 3 banks, and 12-14 (can't remember which) missile points in one bank.  You nailed it in one--a fast gunfighter is exactly what it is. 

Heh, I see what you mean about it looking similar to the Pegasus.  And I never really considered what spawned this.  Nice description of it!

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
It had a a very nice "multiversal" appeal.

Meaning it reminds some peopel of a SW fighter (or even a Venator in my case), a Viper, or many other types of ships. The point isn't what inspired it, the real point is that you pulled it off nicely!
"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
This is a awesome looking fighter. Great job, esarai!

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
I'll put it like this; it's a generic design, but generic designs are rather lacking. Sort of the "I can't decide if this is cheap or expensive" look. I'll be downloading it in a bit and messing around with it, I guess. Perhaps replace the Perseus with this and see how FS2 missions play out. :P
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.

Offline Timerlane

• Overseer of Slag Determination
Sorry for the bump, but after seeing the nice screen for this ship in the FS Celebration thread, and the normal map in the FS modding forum, I thought I'd track down that fighter(and figure others will/might have the same issue).

The version in the VP works fine for the most part, but seems to trigger some odd behavior in regards to support ships. I checked the mediafire link in the first post, and noticed a slightly newer POF('TF-13_KvasirR8.pof', instead of the 'TF-13_KvasirR6.pof' in the VP). I extracted and edited the relevant TBM to reflect the name change, and added the model and TBM in the appropriate folders.

Long story-short, when trying to view the ship(F3), or in the Tech room, I get a CTD/hang and, my FS2_Open.log reports it can't open a texture 'blue_herc_glow_2', which is the last thing recorded(I presume that means it's missing). I googled and ran forum-wide searches for several variations of 'blue herc glow', (and, of course, 'kvasir'), to no real effect.

So, to ask: Does 'blue_herc_glow_2' belong to another particular user-made ship(or is it perhaps part of MV_Advanced)? I obviously looked for other Herc-named ships, to no avail, either.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 11:27:11 pm by Timerlane »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Let me check the version we have in Blue Planet for the support ship issue. Maybe we've got a fixed-up one.

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
I fixed it for DFS

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
Downloaded, and tucked away. Nice little gem there, esarai.  :yes:

Should I actually use it in something for public consumption, I'll let you know.
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted