Author Topic: RELEASE: wxLauncher 0.10.1 beta [Updated 2015/09/26]  (Read 670872 times)

Re: RELEASE: wxLauncher 0.9.4 beta [Updated 2013/06/09]
PH, are there any additional errors? Does the compiler stop right after encountering the error?

Also, your distro including version number, and versions of GCC and wxWidgets you're using? Is your copy of wxWidgets from your distro's repo, or did you build it?

No additional errors beyond the standard boilerplate when a build fails. Distro is arch, gcc is 4.8.2, wxWidgets is... ah, I have 3.0 and 2.8 installed separately. That's likely the problem, then. There's also, I have just noticed, an AUR package, so I'll use that instead. Problem solved.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
Okay Kolgena, finally have a build that should not produce side-by-side errors (I even freshly installed a windows 7 machine to make sure that the debug installer and this binary will work).  Please let me know how it goes: https://app.box.com/s/6o5xoqrimeyedwmwoib4
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline Kolgena

So pro.

No more side by sides. Selecting an audio device results in the following text in the bottom bar:

OpenAL:417: Unknown error number 0x0000a004

Running the game obviously results in no sound.

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
Okay, I am going to need you fso log and wxlauncher log. Thanks
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline Macfie

• If somebody made a campaign I've probably got it
What format do the mod images have to be in to display in the launcher?  I already found out that if the image is not exactly 255 x 112 it will not display but I found a couple of other mod images that do not display even when set to 255 x 112.  Are there other requirements?
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
The difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers is:
Mechanical Engineers build weapons.  Civil Engineers build targets
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
Any .bmp image with or without alpha (24 or 32 bit per pixel) of the specified resolution will work.  .pngs will also work but they will not work with the win32 launcher.

What specific issue are you having?  The only problem one have seen was the one that was shipped with WoD. IIRC, the .bmp had full transparency so when wxLauncher rendered them they were "missing" but when explorer rendered them they were fine because explorer generally ignores transparency.  Resaving it with MS Paint would fix it.

Offline Macfie

Ihave a mod Image that is 255 x 112 that is not showing up in the launcher.  The only difference I can find is in the resolution.  It is 92 dpi and the others are 72dpi.
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
That could very well be the reason.  Can you send me the mod image or post it here and I will try to take a look at it tonight.

Offline Macfie

Here is the mod image.

[attachment deleted by an evil time traveler]

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
the image seems to work for me using
Code: [Select]
[launcher]
modname=fsar test
image255x112=FSAR.bmp
as the mod.ini.

What OS are you using?  I am using windows 7.  I notice that the .bmp has an all uppercase name and like FSO we are technically case sensitive (though on windows you get away with it most of the time because the filesystem on windows is not).

If that is not the case please take a try with a debug build (instructions are in the OP) and:
1) attach your log
2) a screen shot of the mods tab of the launcher with the missing image
3) a directory listing of your FSO root
4) a directory listing of the mod directory
5) the contents of the mod.ini that you are trying to use.

If you do not want to post is publicly feel free to PM the above to me.

Thanks,

Offline CT27

It was said this wxlauncher folder should be placed not in the main FS2 folder but the default program files location.

Two minor questions:

1-When I installed this it installed to "Program Files (x86)".  Is it okay to leave it there?

2-Is it okay if I rename that folder to "0.9.4 wxlauncher"?  (I just added the numbers)?

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
It was said this wxlauncher folder should be placed not in the main FS2 folder but the default program files location.

Two minor questions:

1-When I installed this it installed to "Program Files (x86)".  Is it okay to leave it there?

2-Is it okay if I rename that folder to "0.9.4 wxlauncher"?  (I just added the numbers)?

1) Yes, let the installer put it where it wants.
2) If you insist.  But please, change the folder using the installer rather than just renaming the folder because it sets some registry entries that point to its location that are needed.

I was making a new banner for our mod and noticed that although wxlauncher calls for an image of 255x112, in the actual gui it's smaller than that, forcing the image to be scaled down and look compressed.  I'd much rather use GIMP to scale the image properly to the final resolution, but it seems like we can only use 255x112?  What is the actual size of that image box and why are we scaling down to that size instead of using the native image resolution?

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
I was making a new banner for our mod and noticed that although wxlauncher calls for an image of 255x112, in the actual gui it's smaller than that, forcing the image to be scaled down and look compressed.  I'd much rather use GIMP to scale the image properly to the final resolution, but it seems like we can only use 255x112?  What is the actual size of that image box and why are we scaling down to that size instead of using the native image resolution?
In the actual GUI it is 182x80.  Yes, some mod images do look odd when it does the compression but for most it ends up not being a problem.

The reason for us scaling the image is the original 255x112 is just too big to be put into the list at a native resolution even though it looks nice as a header image (and we do use the full native res it on the Info Popup for exactly that).

In the mod.ini add an image182x80 if you need to have a native resolution image in the modlist.

Huh.  I can't get the 182x80 version to appear in the list - it still pulls the 255x112 version (which DOES look really good in the pop-up - thanks for the clarification there).  Here's my mod.ini:

Code: (mod.ini) [Select]
[launcher]
modname      = Fate of the Galaxy;
image255x112 = texttt.png;
image182x80  = text80.png;
infotext     = Fate of the Galaxy is a total conversion of FreeSpace Open based on the Star Wars universe. Our goal is to deliver compelling gameplay that captures the look and feel of the original trilogy space battles. May the force be with you.;
website      = http://fateofthegalaxy.net/;
forum        = http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?board=70.0;

[multimod]
primarylist  = ;
secondrylist = ;

[settings]
flags = ;

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
The mod.ini looks fine to me. BTW, secondrylist is supposed to be secondarylist.  Not that it would break this.

If it doesn't like the 182x80 image then it will reject it and fall back to the 255x112 image. Get a debug build as described in the OP and check the log, it will print the reason when it is parsing the mod.ini's.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
The mod.ini looks fine to me. BTW, secondrylist is supposed to be secondarylist.  Not that it would break this.
It definitely wouldn't break it because both are supported for obscure reasons of backwards compatibility.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
It definitely wouldn't break it because both are supported for obscure reasons of backwards compatibility.
Both?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Both?
Both the correct spelling of secondarylist and the incorrect spelling of secondrylist are parsed identically.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

If it doesn't like the 182x80 image then it will reject it and fall back to the 255x112 image. Get a debug build as described in the OP and check the log, it will print the reason when it is parsing the mod.ini's.

Huh...so I built a debug version and ran it...and it uses the correct image now!  Went back and built the standard version again from scratch and it works fine there too now.  Don't know what happened to my last build, since it was from the same source, but it looks fine now.  Thanks for the help.