Author Topic: What do you want in the rest of War in Heaven?  (Read 190369 times)

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
Re: What do you want in the rest of War in Heaven?
Internet censorship, now with double the fun deletage of postage!

Anyway, I presume we'll be seeing the Beis in WiH p2. Will we be flying in a wing with them?

Offline Flak

Or perhaps multi view missions, like you play as Samuel Bei or some random pilot in a few missions just to show what is happening on other battlefronts.

Offline -Norbert-

I don't think they'll suddenly start to switch perspective in the middle of the campaign....
The only thing I think we will see from the perspective of someone else than Laporte before BP3 will most likely be messages/recordings that Laporte reads/watches, in the form of text or cutscenes.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Speaking of which, there were a couple third person fiction entries in War in Heaven and I wonder if people feel strongly that those should be first person.

Naw, keep them Third Person. They were done well, the Mars scene in particular.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Oh also when the GTVA team up with the UEF to fight the Shivans there has to be a mission where they use the Elder's secret project to fight the Dante above Earth and then boom shivan super lasers shoot ! ! !

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Naw, keep them Third Person. They were done well, the Mars scene in particular.

I rather liked the more sinister and almost . . . impersonal? atmosphere of the ant story. At the same time, I suppose a good story can't be sinister ALL the time.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Remember the ants!

Offline -Norbert-

Come to think of it: Laporte liked the red ants more. Shivans look insectoid and red.
Was that intentional?
Or might that decision even have been influenced by Ken, further cementing his being a Shivan?

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Steam
Come to think of it: Laporte liked the red ants more. Shivans look insectoid and red.
Was that intentional?
Or might that decision even have been influenced by Ken, further cementing his being a Shivan?

Quote from: Container
you are a made thing
el hombre vicio...

I thought he was a Vishnan
Sig censored by people with no sense of humor

I rather liked the more sinister and almost . . . impersonal? atmosphere of the ant story. At the same time, I suppose a good story can't be sinister ALL the time.

That was the exact reason I liked them. It sent the impression that Noemi was being watched. Reinforced the whole Ken thing.

And yes. The Ants.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
He could be either, but it's somewhat implied he's Shivan

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Steam

He is a guide, a voice within... Shivans, Vishinans... they make no difference to his eyes, actions and decitions shall define what Laporte will to become.  :P :P
el hombre vicio...

I've been operating under the impression that he is a Shivan. I figured the Shivans were trying to use Noemi and the UEF to take care of the GTVA for them, since it seems as though the UEF fits the Shivan criteria for "Not violently Slagging all their Planets." Except that, for whatever reason, possibly Vishnans, their hands are tied in this Universe, so they want the UEF to do it for them.

That also kind of defeats the purpose of the UEF not being warlike, but whatever. If I'm wrong, so much the better.

Granted, this is only me responding to someone else's theory, since I'm actually a proponent of them using mobile assets like ships in exactly the manner you describe for this project. But I like this discussion.

The problem we face with the concept of "No Stealth in Space," no matter how true it may be, is that according to the Pegasus, Freespace Physics means you can have stealth. While in FS2, they were simply un-targetable, in WiH A wing Of Pegasus stealth fighters were, somehow, completely in invisible to radar. Even after they opened fire they weren't actually showing up, IIRC, though I know for a fact that the direction of space they come from registers no contacts, not even the random "unknown" blips, until they open fire. Going by that, it seems like you can completely stealth an object, at the very least from the sensors of a fighter. And it seems like it would be easier to Mask the reading of a station hidden away somewhere, say the inner two worlds, seeing as how you wont have to worry about constant engine emissions, nevermind the distance most things scanning for it would be operating at.

Edit: Damn it. Took to long. Why have you stolen my debate, HLP? :mad:

When I played I thought that complete-invisibility was only applicable to the Kent's sensors, since the knight called out that there were stealth fighters incoming. I assumed the Lao Tze just had a more sensitive sensor suite (or they were just calibrated to detect the Pegasus based off of data from the captured/planted stealth fighters)

About the special project, couldn't the UEF just have whatever it is, mobile or not, in 'hiding' well above or below the orbital plane?
Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
Yep, or they could do what the GTVA does with logistics ships, and have it move around at intervals.

Thats what I was thinking. Having a few autonomous research units hopping around the inner planets would be an excellent way to prevent any Tev recon or strike teams ruining your day.

I never even considered the idea of him being a Shivan. Sneaky and manipulative are two characteristics that don't describe Shivans at all. They're more of a "blow the **** out out of everything" race.
Sig censored by people with no sense of humor

Offline -Norbert-

Just a few quick ideas and possibilities:

Maybe the theory that what we saw in the hallfight cutscene were just manufactured bio-mechanical soldiers is true and Ken is one of the "real" Shivans, controlling out of the Shadows.
Just because the creations are rather blunt in their tactics doesn't mean the creators are dumb.

Also the Shivans could afford those direct assault, because apperently they don't have to worry about atrition.

Furthermore it's quite possible that the Shivans weren't trying to wipe out the Terrans and Vasudans, but only tried to teach them a lesson, or maybe their goal was an alliance between the two warring factions in the first place (at least in the BP timeline it makes sense).

Or the Shivans are fed up with the high losses they took during their two incursions and have switched to sneaky tactics, which they don't like as much as a direct assault, but costs them less.