Author Topic: So uh...  (Read 8311 times)

Offline noodle

Am I the only one who didn't like WoD?

Because I really didn't. At all.

You set it up as something of an anime homage, but all I see is a giant grab-bag of the worst cliches, some exclusive to anime, some just general cliches. I nearly threw up at the 'space elves who view humans as a brash young race in need of guidance' part. Talk about one of the most irritating and insufferable tropes out there. Not to mention that like 70% of the cast is female, all of whom are one fanservicy archetype or other.  And all drawn in that particular misguided weeaboo style that thinks that just throwing in big eyes and brightly colored hair makes it look authentically Japanese. It doesn't, and it looks terrible.

Some nice mission design in there, I appreciate all the new ships and weapons, but it's all covered in a layer of the worst kind of anime fandom that I just couldn't get past.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
but it's all covered in a layer of the worst kind of anime fandom that I just couldn't get past

i think this is the point

It's like reviewing War in Heaven from the perspective of a military vet with PTSD, man. It's never going to live up to your standards if you're actually an auteur in the field.

Offline Nuclear1

But...but...Misuzu...:(
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Well.. there's you, maybe there are some more out there that didn't like the campaign.
With luck they'll show up and then you can start your own club, yay!
el hombre vicio...

Offline Ypoknons

• Ancient
    • http://www.xwaupgrade.com
yea, there were a few 'animefan' elements, maybe it got overbearing for some people, but so what? Some of the new races were really interesting to fight, stuff that no one has done in the FS world before, some of the missions (especially the last few, the asteroid mission, etc...) were anything but cliched in mission design.
Long time ago, you see, there was this thing called the VBB and... oh, nevermind.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Yeah!! the asteroid one was a kicking ass mission, I really loved that one.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Quanto

• Permanent Nostalgia Goggles
00:41:58 <DarthGeek>: I might do it, I need to build a reputation of someone who doesn't suffer fools
(DarthGeek on: "Relentless")

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
I chose to interpret is as this instead of srs bsns... :p

Camp is a critical analysis and at the same time a big joke. Camp takes “something” (normally a social norm, object, phrase, or style), does a very acute analysis of what the “something” is, then takes the “something” and presents it humorously. As a performance, camp is meant to be an allusion. A person being campy has a generalization they are intentionally making fun of or manipulating. Though camp is a joke it is also a very serious analysis done by people who are willing to make a joke out of themselves to prove a point.

Case in point: "A palette switch? How cheap." and: "Despite being red, they didn't even go three times faster."
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 12:42:59 am by Herra Tohtori »
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
Some nice mission design in there, I appreciate all the new ships and weapons, but it's all covered in a layer of the worst kind of anime fandom that I just couldn't get past.

I couldn't get past that at first either. And honestly, the fact that you personally didn't like the lighthearted, pseudo-tongue-in-cheek anime style doesn't mean it's bad. Spoon made a campaign that appeals greatly to several people here, and that includes most of the anime fans. I've never been much for anime but it was a good campaign in its own right.

What this all comes down to is if you don't like the campaign, you didn't have to play it. That may sound rude, but it's a fact; no campaign will please everyone. Difficult as it is to imagine, I'm sure there are some people who actually didn't like the grim, depressing tone of BP:WiH. The fact is that WoD and WiH were designed with their particular styles in mind- and whether you personally like or dislike the style, the campaigns are great examples of them nonetheless.

Offline Ypoknons

• Ancient
    • http://www.xwaupgrade.com
With WoD I think you can never really tell when it's making an allusion or taking an idea and running with it.

Makes me wonder. Ancient, super-powerful fighter? Not exactly a new idea, and 'serious professional military personnel wanting to fly realistic normal military vehicles in space' types probably don't like the association with arcade shooters and super-robot anime. But was the Frame fun to fly? And did Spoon implement it successfully? Did it provide something other campaigns don't? Did it have awesome fighter beams? I think yes, and Spoon has succeeded here.

Another example of WoD's subtle charm are the Cordi fighters. Again, mini-fighters aren't anything new in Sci-Fi, but the Cordi fighters were awesome. They're bite-sized, they skid around, changing direction just when you've got your gun tracing right, and generally behave differently from FS2 swarming fighters.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 02:02:15 am by Ypoknons »
Long time ago, you see, there was this thing called the VBB and... oh, nevermind.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Well noodle, I'm like, super glad you took the time to make a new topic to tell me this super constructive feedback  :p
And I'll look forward at your attempt at making a campaign for Freespace that is far better, with better art, less clichés and not covered in this 'layer of the worst kind of anime fandom'.

I know there is little I can do to make it up to you. And I apologize deeply for hurting the feelings of a superior anime fan like you with my garbage. 

I shall now proceed to commit Seppuku ^_^
Sayonara cruel kowaii T_T world desu!
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline T-LoW

• Planet Earth is blue and theres nothing left to do
    • German Freespace-Galaxy
I liked it :nod:

And the best thing: It's for free! :)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 10:00:22 am by T-LoW »
The german Freespace-Galaxy

"There was a time before we were born. If someone asks this is where I'll be."

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Even though I'm not an Anime expert (e.g. I have no idea who this Rance guy is), I still enjoyed the campaign.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
See, I think part of the reason Wings of Dawn is almost indisputably good is that if you removed every character name, reduced all the dialogue to simple instructions, and changed all the ships into variously sized boxes, it'd STILL be fun. Because the mission design was fresh, the tasks you're asked to perform are entertaining, and the music is groovin'.

I can't even usually take anime seriously because I'm spoiled by stuff like Iain Banks which tends to tackle a lot of the same themes with more maturity, but I liked WoD.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 08:59:16 am by General Battuta »

Offline Deadly in a Shadow

• Buntu!

I like this style, all these swarmin´ rockets, uber-fast ships, not to big ships and nice weapons and especially all this animesque design AND the mission design AND the music blablabla.

By the way, Sci-Fi Animes weren't my fav animes but now heheh....
"Ka-BOOOOOOOOM!!!!"
"Uh, Sir we can hear the explosion."
"No you can't, there is no air in space. Sound can't travel through a vacuum!"

I like what Spoon did with WoD.  It is like he took most sci-fi anime tropes, and put them together in a single package, complete with plenty of Lampshades and Shout Outs.  WoD isn't exactly JAD, but it isn't serious business either.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Well guys, noodle is allowed to not like WoD for whatever reason. And he's already told us why, even if it wasn't put in the nicest way possible.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I think noodle's got a point. I liked WoD as a sort of acid trip experience, but for the reasons outlined in the first post, I didn't really like the universe/backstory/fiction/mythology/setting. I didn't read any of the fiction in the tech room (except the species descriptions).

But really, being hilariously over the top and filled with anime and community references doesn't stop it from being one of the best campaigns ever made (IMO).

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Well guys, noodle is allowed to not like WoD for whatever reason. And he's already told us why, even if it wasn't put in the nicest way possible.

Thank you, those are all facts. Is there a point?

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Yes there is.

It was more directed at things like the 'butthurt commentary' post, and to a lesser extent, Spoon's response.

Anyway, I haven't played WoD, let alone Freespace in a long time now, so I don't really have an opinion to put forward on the campaign.

EDIT: Spoon's response is perfectly justified, I just felt like sticking up for noodle, since I don't know if his criticism is valid or not and subsequently gave him the benefit of the doubt.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 11:24:58 am by Dilmah G »