Author Topic: ATHENA?!  (Read 4938 times)

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
WHAT IS THIS, I DON'T EVEN

OH GOD HOW DID THIS GET HERE

I AM NOT GOOD WITH COMPUTER

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Solatar

That cockpit area in particular looks gorgeous.

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
* Shivan Hunter approves.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Is this based, in any way, off of TrashMan's Athena mk2 that was at one point being used as a (crummy, cause it wasn't right, nor was it ever even intended to be used as such) standin?
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Only inasmuch as I pulled the cockpit from it to use as a foundation. Rest assured, the base geometry is based off the retail Athena.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Did you ever get the effects package I sent you last week?
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Yes. I can't put too much effort into editing them since there's a lot of stuff in there that is either duplicated from what we already have, or stuff we wouldn't use anyway (like weapon variants.) If you have a TBM and a bitmap that replaces the FX for a weapon we already have in the Port, then I'll use it for a while and see how I like it, but I don't really want to have to take it apart and figure out what you've done.

Also please don't hijack my threads. :(

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
You know, despite its flaws, I actually liked a lot of the geometry found in Trashman's Athena:

(a.) The cockpit did have a lot of problems, but it blended in well with the hull of the bomber - the retail Athena never was able to do that. As a whole, though it missed a lot of details, the details that were there merged in well with the rest of the design.

(b.) The gun housings on Trash's Athena I felt were particularly well managed. Again, they complimented the bomber's appearance, and the uppermost housing made A LOT more sense than the low-poly job found on the retail model, in which a gun would assumably never fit.

That said, I know this commentary is kind of moot, but that's just my perception of the design elements. For the record, I would have played with the model of the Athena Mk. 2 myself if it were not for the fact that it would crash PCS2 upon trying to export the model...
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
You know, despite its flaws, I actually liked a lot of the geometry found in Trashman's Athena:

(a.) The cockpit did have a lot of problems, but it blended in well with the hull of the bomber - the retail Athena never was able to do that. As a whole, though it missed a lot of details, the details that were there merged in well with the rest of the design.
It's really hard to mess up extrusions.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Snail

• SC 5

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Yes. I can't put too much effort into editing them since there's a lot of stuff in there that is either duplicated from what we already have, or stuff we wouldn't use anyway (like weapon variants.) If you have a TBM and a bitmap that replaces the FX for a weapon we already have in the Port, then I'll use it for a while and see how I like it, but I don't really want to have to take it apart and figure out what you've done.

Also please don't hijack my threads. :(
Sorry to "hijack" again, but the last pack I sent you had pretty much nothing taken from any other sources; Talon1024 had made all of those effects himself. And it's not hard to figure out which one is which considering that I labeled them "ML16_Bitmap", "VLL9_Bitmap", "Training_Bitmap", etc.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Ooh, shiny :)

Could you also show us the untextured model pretty please?
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
The model's attached, you could just pull it up in the Ship Lab (F3.)

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Ah, I must have had a dense moment... because I didn't see the attached zip file ;)
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea