Author Topic: Christmas 2010 Model Re-release (image heavy)  (Read 106898 times)

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
Re: Christmas 2010 Model Re-release (image heavy)
Link's still mis-named :P
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Yeah, people keep calling him Zelda all the time.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grĂ¢ce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Ugh... don't know what exactly went wrong that time.... now it should work LOL
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Saratoga's shield icon is bugged.

Fixed, I hope.   I'm getting an outline around the shield hud.  Not sure where it's coming from, it's not in the pcx files. 

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

Scimitar is up.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Nice. Are you going to do the Seagull now? It'd really come in handy.

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
Scimitar works great, except for one minor issue; the HUD icon has a box around it.
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"

Ya I have no clue why that's happening...
It's not showing up in the source pcx's
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 10:39:51 pm by Scooby_Doo »

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
Side note for anyone using the model, there's a second issue. Subsystems are placed oddly. Normally this wouldn't matter, except this means the Javelin can't lock onto the Scimitar correctly because the engine subsystem is buried on the underside.

Fortunately this is easily correctable in PCS, so no big deal.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 11:19:27 pm by Mad Bomber »

Ya... the subsystems are rather generic.  I just put the basic ones in and let who-ever wants it to modify it.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I've noticed an oddity in fighter textures:

Your earlier fighters are noticeably brighter and have more pronounced riveting than new ones. This makes them stand out next to your new ones. Also, they seem to use less textures on average (4 per fighter is a bit much, yet it seem to be the current standard. Early ones had 2-3 textures). Is that intentional? If not, would you be able to do something about it?

I've noticed an oddity in fighter textures:

Your earlier fighters are noticeably brighter and have more pronounced riveting than new ones. This makes them stand out next to your new ones. Also, they seem to use less textures on average (4 per fighter is a bit much, yet it seem to be the current standard. Early ones had 2-3 textures). Is that intentional? If not, would you be able to do something about it?

Weird.. hmm I must have added some detailing features sometime down the road.
Well it looks like the change happened back with the foxbat.

The uvmapping is a problem some of the models have a different uv area. ugh

edit: also looks like i modified the base texture to make it darker.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 05:22:23 pm by Scooby_Doo »

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Could you fix it? It's a lot of fighters, but seeing how quickly you fixed a somewhat similar issue with capships, something tells me you can at least partially automate this. A consistent look across the fleetpack is something I really like.

Ya I've already got a script, it just takes some time.  The uv scaling issue isn't really fixable without redoing the entire model.  The biggest offenders for this are the extra large fighters and extra small fighters.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I guess I'll have to live with inefficient UV mapping. Good to hear about the textures though.

Actually some of it isn't inefficient, some of the models just have more surfaces. 

Take for example, the bearcat and the confed banshee..

Both are similar sized (banshee is bulkier). The uvmapping area size is the same (i've tried to keep all fighters the same size).  The bearcat takes two textures, banshee 4.

I think the amount of surface area plus the general geometry of that area determines how effectively I can work.  long thin stripes and small pieces can be squeezed into tiny areas, whereas big huge chunks (like wings) tend to be more fussy (they either fit or simply don't)  On some of the fighters there was just a small amount that just couldn't fit into any existing texture and  using a second one would have been pointless, so i cheated and shrunk it down a bit.  No sense in including a nth texture and not even 1/4th used.

Also I've just noticed something else, the panels themselves have gotten smaller and more numerous

ugh and photobucket strikes again  :hopping:

Let me attach it to this thread directly.

[attachment deleted by ninja]

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Hmm, they're still very noticeably different. The panel lines on the Demon are not only less dense, but also much more pronounced.

Ohhh i think I found the reason why they're more pronounced... apparently a year or two ago I changed the size the of the panel lines down to 1px. (don't ask me why.. i have no clue)
I might have somewhat of a fix for that.  It's not quite like the originals, but I kinda like it better.  The darkness can be adjusted

As for the number of panels,  there's just too many to go back and redo at least for now.
And yes I have no clue why the blues seem to be darker on the banshee's wings compared to the demons wings and the other parts of the banshee. It could be just the location on the base metal texture.

[attachment deleted by ninja]

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Looks fine, I think. Much better than before, the blue stripe color difference is odd, but not that visible unless you specifically look for it.