Author Topic: Arcadia HTL (It's gonna happen!)  (Read 37976 times)

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Re: Arcadia HTL (It's gonna happen!)
This one looks blocky enough for me.
Only parts of it have been rounded off.

Haters gotta hate.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline sigtau

• unfortunate technical art assclown
This one looks blocky enough for me.
Only parts of it have been rounded off.

Haters gotta hate.

Couldn't agree more.
Who uses forum signatures anymore?

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
FSU vision of the second group is Upgraded Freespace, vision of the first group is changing everything because "they likes curvy ships because they thinks curvy ships looks better" o___O. You can change everything in mods, but clear Freespace must stay unaffected. We shouldn't change anything big, like shapes of orginal models because we only refreshing it, not recreating with our own tastes.

Way to misinterpret what was being said.

1. The basic shape of the Arcadia is unaffected. It is still recognizably an Arcadia.
2. "Recreating with our own tastes" is exactly what we (or rather, mjnmixael) is doing. You would do the same, given reversed positions. It's just that your taste is different from his. I am looking forward to your Arcadia though.
ALL models in the MVPs have varying degrees of artistic license applied. Every. Single. One. You want FS to stay the same it has been all this time. Which, as I said before, is the thinking that brought us TrashMan's Typhon.

In short, Haters gonna hate.
1. There is a BIG difference between adding detalis and changing basic geometry of model. Adding details without changing shapes is neutral solution. If you want more, change the model, but I think we shouldn't do big changes after V.
2. Mixael's Arcadia is awesome and this is fact, but awesome doesn't mean perfect. We're not "haters", we just think otherwise in that matter and we probably all like Mjn's model. Mixael is creator of model, he will do as he want but we can express our opionions about his work.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Deal with it.

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
"Adding details without changing shapes is neutral solution."

Then you get instances where people greeble the retail hull and it looks barely better. Or the not much different option of smoothing the retail hull, then greebling. Betrayal, MjnMixael is not going to change it, and there are currently no other options, so if you do not like it, do not use it.  Simple.

EDIT: Also, are you suggesting it not be used in the MVP's? Before I write too many responses assuming you are, I should probably clear that up.
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
he will do as he want but we can express our opionions about his work.

You have done so sufficiently. Stop.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
You know, I miss the traditional shape a bit, it does feel a little less "Terran" to me.

It does, however look one hell of a lot better. It will stop being the ugly bane of Freespace 2 (The Sixth Wonder) or the beginning of AoA.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Right, it's the only low poly thing in the AoA opening.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Right, it's the only low poly thing in the AoA opening.

lol, it (to me) is the ugliest. The light plays well with everything else.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Read the thread's title people, just the title  ;7
el hombre vicio...

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I'm still not entirely sure how I feel about those big curved arcs, or about some of the detail work that "scoops" into them, though I think they'll probably grow on me.  That aside, even suggesting that a completed hi-poly model that still holds true to the overall spirit of the original shouldn't make it into the MediaVPs is just absurd.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Just for the record I was never saying this shouldn't go into the MediaVPs, simply that I personally didn't really like the curves. I still think it's a massive massive improvement and should go in regardless.

Offline Luis Dias

I don't like it. Sorry Mixael.  "Haters gotta hate", I guess. Still, it looks like it will be "HTL'd" to the end, and that's something no one was able to do thus far, so I think that's great in itself.

Good luck.

For the record I like the way this model is turning out.  I think the Arcadia was a model that may have been limited by the technology of the time.  They didn't have the hardware back then that we do now.  My point being, that if Volition made the Arcadia now it might look very different.  It might even have curves like this Arcadia does.

Offline FSW

I like the 'platform' part of this Arcadia, but something seems off with the general shape of the two big 'arms' sticking out of the other side. Perhaps the slopes are too gentle, giving the station as a whole a much less chunky, somewhat feminine feel. I do like the 'stack'-like details set into it, though.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Now.. Black Wolf. Firstly, the ONLY portion of this that changed significantly from Ragingloli's model is the center hole area. So saying that you can see hodgepodges all over is you making things up.

Understood. I was under the impression (based on previous posts, including this one and the original post) that this combined 3 or 4 of the older WiPs. If it doesn't then the stylistic variations I saw (and still see, TBH) were presumably pre-existing on ragingloli's model. That said, my original opinion still stands, but obviously I was mistaken as to the source of it.

Oh, also, I highly resent the implication that I picked this up as a "quick fix" for my cutscene project. This was no quick fix... go look at the OP date. I've been working on this for a LONG time trying to clean it up and make it FSO compatible. If I wanted a quick fix, then I wouldn't have even bothered to do all that. It's also no "quick fix" that I'll be UV mapping and texturing this. Considering it took me a couple days to UV a fighter, this is going to take much, MUCH longer. (Still quick?) If there's anything I've proved in my time around here, it's that I don't cut many corners and I still put out a crapton of stuff.

No.. I picked up this one because I think the model straight up awesome and I'm tired of ugly retail Arcadia and no one else seemed to be working on it.

I wasn't trying to belittle the amount of work being done, merely commenting on (what I thought was) an only-partiall-successful attempt to integrate multiple WiPs into one model as opposed to making one, coherent single model. Since that wasn't what actually happened, then the statement isn't really appropriate.

I'd also like to remark on the people trying to simplify the arguments against the model to "haters gotta hate" and "they want pixel for pixel sameness". I have to assume you're clever enough to know that both these are not the case - nobody's arbitrarily disliking the model or demading we hang onto the retail pof. There are many, many mediaVP models that retain the feel and large parts of the design of the original while also being significantly better - more or less all of VAs models do this, as does the Fenris/Leviathan, the Dis, the Valkyrie, the Hercules - dozens of them. That's what we want, not low poly + greebles or anything silly like that, and frankly, I think you all know it.

With regards to that argument as it relates to this particular model, multiple people have offered detailed reasons why they dislke the model. Some of those reasons have been addressed, many have not and very likely wont be. So be it. When/if it's textured (no slight on your commitment mjn, but as the very first post in this thread makes clea, the Arcadia has been attempted many times before), it'll most likely end up in the MediaVPs. I'm ambivalent about that if I'm honest (though I could be swayed by the texs - I'm interested to see how they turn out), but I'm willing to wait and see if a new version turns up. If it doesn't, as I said before, I'll deal with not liking the curvy Arcadia.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline sigtau

• unfortunate technical art assclown
You purist people--dare I say fundamentalist FreeSpace fans--are quite hard to please.

Stop worrying and enjoy what you get, or you might not get it at all.
Who uses forum signatures anymore?

Offline BrotherBryon

• Resident Lurker
Over all I really like it, The docking points are some of the most detailed I've ever seen and the slight curvature breaks up some of the originals blockiness that made it so unappealing. My only concern is a tactical one, Those large highly detailed recessed areas on the one side look kind of like a domed city and as such would be the first place I would send a missile. Blow out the protective glass and you expose nearly a quarter of the station to vacuum. Unless of course each of those areas are self contained units with limited to no outside access and I'm just not seeing them right. Will wait to see how it turns out before making a decision about those areas but as stated the rest looks really good.
Holy Crap. SHIVANS! Tours

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Those areas aren't enclosed. I thought about enclosing them in some sort of glass, but you're right.. it wouldn't make much tactical sense.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Sololop

It looks great. Can't wait to see it in-game.