Author Topic: GTB Artemis  (Read 64694 times)

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Steam
4096^2?, that's too big for a fighter/bomber.
Try to make the details a little bigger, this way when rescaling the image those details aren't lost.

Also, the texture looks quite good right now :yes:
el hombre vicio...

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
4096^2?, that's too big for a fighter/bomber.
Try to make the details a little bigger, this way when rescaling the image those details aren't lost.

Also, the texture looks quite good right now :yes:
It's a work in progress and it's always better to create maps at as large a size as possible because it's easier to scale down than it is to scale up.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline T-LoW

• Planet Earth is blue and theres nothing left to do
    • German Freespace-Galaxy
I'm really looking forward to this. You have great stamina :)

But you can actually see that :v: pretty ****ed up the dimensions. The cockpit is so big and the pilots are pretty small (I guess they are about 2metres tall?) - not your fault though.
The german Freespace-Galaxy

"There was a time before we were born. If someone asks this is where I'll be."

Offline Hades

I'm really looking forward to this. You have great stamina :)

But you can actually see that :v: pretty ****ed up the dimensions. The cockpit is so big and the pilots are pretty small (I guess they are about 2metres tall?) - not your fault though.
Actually... that seems to be consistent with ships from both games. The Hermes has windows two meters tall and the doors are five, for example.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Kolgena

And the Valkyrie. What's the point of 2 meter tall canopy glass?

OT: Looks good. Very good, but I have nitpicks as usual.

Detail texture on the main body doesn't fit. I also realize that this criticism is mostly useless, since it doesn't look like you've started any details on the body yet. But for when you do, get rid of the wood grain and think ceramic/metal tiling.

Green glass. Yeah. You might consider making the diffuse alpha sorta greenish blue, and the specular map super strong green/blue, so it looks like sunglass material.

Char/streak marks on hull behind the engine exhausts. Especially the inner side of the fins.

(and of course AO bake. But that's the absolute last step, as I understand it)

Offline Sab0o

Pretty much all of that is already planned, Kolegna. :). Check this out.

Man, I am so happy with how this looks.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
I like how it's turning out, should be one of the more fun ships to fly with TrackIR.

Offline T-LoW

• Planet Earth is blue and theres nothing left to do
    • German Freespace-Galaxy

It's getting better and better. I can't wait to get my hands on the new mediaVP's :shaking:
The german Freespace-Galaxy

"There was a time before we were born. If someone asks this is where I'll be."

I'm waiting until the next release to download and replay the FS2 campaign.
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline Nohiki

• Graf von Kaffeetrinken
    • Steam
Bombing the hell outta cruisers will never be the same after a flight in this :D

Offline Archaic

looking good

Offline Kolgena

What's with Kolegna being a common misspelling of my name? I can count at least a dozen people who have done that... Whatever :P

Wood grain's still there, but now you're painting decals on top of it :(
Black metal cockpit brackets look really really noisy. Like, even if we consider that they have ringing jpeg artifacts all over them :P
Some of the finer light lines on the pods are going to be nigh invisible when you downsize your texture from 4096^2. I'd say either thicken them up or darken them.

I'll have to go with Kolgena, I do not like the texture on the main body. I would've liked seeing something like on the pods, albeit with fewer panels...

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature

Akshually, a lot of those lines will turn into normal map lines just fine, so they can stay for now and we can worry about them being on the diffuse map prior to publishing.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Hades

Do keep in mind, he's just barely started on the main body. :p

And at least the Artemis doesn't still look like it's made of broken eggshells anymore
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Sorry to bother, but the fins on the back of the main body don't quite look right where they connect to the rest of the ship.
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline Sab0o

OK, it's currently in a state I consider very near finished.
And I feel like posting pictures. Click to enlarge.

Notice how the vents are shiny inside.

back vents arevery shiny.

The slightly brighter part on the bottom there is due to the shine map. Looks really nice ingame.

Shiny golden missiles.

some bits are shiny.

This Artemis be full of win -- More precisely, full of lovely polys, detailing, clean pretty textures and hard work.  :D

I cannot wait to see the final version of the Artemis.

Previous Projects: Ancient-Shivan War | GTF Durandal

Current Projects: Exile: Into The Dark Waters (Proof-editing/misc)

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
This is the Inferno Team and we approve of your work.  You can expect a PM from us soon.  ;)

Offline Kolgena

Haha, that last shot really emphasizes how ridiculous [V] made the canopy sizes.

Overall: I like it a lot, but there are some details that I really want to see changed before release:
The top/bottom of the fuselage really need some detail. You should plate it up like the side pods (but with bigger plates/more spaced out lines)
I don't like the detail texture for the whole ship, but at this stage, I'm not sure what can be done about it. What it looks like now is some sort of plaster-of-paris or paper mache surface, instead of the shiny, sometimes rough, metal stuff we see on all the other Terran ships.

But yeah, gold missiles = *****in. Greeble panels = *****in. Canopy = *****in. Good work!