Author Topic: GTB Artemis  (Read 64587 times)

Offline Sab0o

The small panels you see there are on the bump map.

Anyone care to agree/ disagree with Snail ? Can't really get on with texturing until the model is final.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
That improvised texture is hiding a lot of the details on the mesh, can you make a render without it so I can see the details on the mesh itself?

From what I can see now, the top and the bottom of the central body are kinda simple, you are allowed to play a lot more there and add stuff you might think will give an awesome look to the final model.
Another thing, make the primary cannons shorter, I don't think I like them sticking out that much.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Sab0o

there's really not much there...

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
You could try adding stuff there IMO, not sure what, but I guess someone can toss some ideas.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Kolgena

You could stick some sensor apparatus in the bottom of the bubble, since it's pretty useless to the pilots as it currently is. Then again, it's just detail that nobody will really see in-game. Also, did you properly scale the cockpit seats to the ship? I get the feeling that they're a lot bigger than they should be, almost like they're built for people 3-4 meters tall.

I notice that you've kept the bottom surface flat instead of V-shaped, but it looks way too late to make a change that minor.

Could you do something with the lasers? I'm thinking it looks kinda weird, and a little bit like lego how the two cylinders protrude out of an otherwise perfectly rectangular hole. Maybe greeble it up to sorta justify all the empty space in the hole around the guns?

The rear fins don't really flow with the rest of the model. I think it's because you kept their shape pretty much the same while smoothing out and improving the body a lot more.

I don't think you need to greeble the hull that much. I've always gotten the impression that the Artemis is little bit like those one-man submarines. Pretty smooth all over, with no sharp corners and such. Speaking of which, you might consider making the join between the body and the pods a little less sharp. Especially on the underside, where you've got a stellar right angle going on.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 08:12:10 pm by Kolgena »

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Standing by my opinion that the top and bottom should be smooth, sans greebles. Detail can be reserved for the side bits without cowling... Also I'm sure the missile tubes would like to see a little more sweet lovin'. :)

Also I agree with Kolgena on the rear fins looking a bit rough.

Offline Sab0o

I think the tail is pretty good now.

Any thoughts about this cockpit layout? Gotta have someone watching your back.
The dudes are smaller, but not realistic size. That'd be so small it looks stupid.

I also changed the underneath and the all the missile launchers. Guns are shorter.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 02:30:17 pm by Sab0o »

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Why on earth is the co-pilot lying on his back facing backwards??
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Talon 1024

• How do you turn this on?
    • Mods, Games, and Stuff

Any thoughts about this cockpit layout? Gotta have someone watching your back.
The dudes are smaller, but not realistic size. That'd be so small it looks stupid.

I also changed the underneath and the all the missile launchers. Guns are shorter.

Except...  The Artemis has no rear turret, so it would essentially be pointless to have a co-pilot.
To understand religion, you need to understand morality first. | WCSaga website | WCSaga Forum | 158th website | 158th forum | Project Leader: WC: Hostile Frontier | WCHF Thread at CIC | Wing Blender | Twist of Fate | Multipart turrets on angled surfaces, tutorial included. | My Google Drive stuff | To convert speeds from WC to WCS, multiply both the cruise speed and the Afterburner speed by 0.15625 (5/32)

FS2 Mods I'm waiting on: Inferno 10th Anniversary
Current Project: Contestant Android app, Learn4Life iOS app, Blender Commander (importer).
The FreeSpace Font Foundry is back in action!

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Except real life fighters today have a co-pilot and they have no turret. The Apollo in the opening cutscene of the first game has a co-pilot, and since it uses the same base hull that means the version we see in game does too.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Except plenty of real-life aircraft without automated turrets have two pilots. Dammit ninja'd!
Either way, looking good though I do think the copilot facing the other way is somewhat odd.

Offline Kolgena

No, make the pilots realistic size. That would be rad. Assume they are 2m tall, which is what I think the rest of the fighters do.
I'm not sure I'm a fan of the backwards-facing pilot. It looks awkward, since the person is facing up, and not really "back". Plus, there's no turret, so looking backwards is pretty useless. [Edit: double ninja :(] Front pilot's seat is boss though. Great field of vision.

Overall, good. I do like how the bottom isn't just flat anymore. However, the whole thing needs more polies. It's so angular, especially the tail fins. (They look almost identical to retail right now, which is bad because retail was low poly) The surfaces will look fine with smoothing groups I think, but a lot of the edges can't be smoothed, and will look straight/angular. I'm not sure that something like that fits the artemis.

Guns still look lego-ish. I notice that the retail had the bank cut-out in sort of a cone/pyramid shape rather than a rectangular prism shape. Sloping it in more might help to fill it in? I dunno. Experiment and surprise us :D

(Btw, I noticed that you did a fair bit of what my post suggested. Maybe it was just coincidence, and you were going to do that stuff anyway, but by no means should you let anyone on this thread influence what you feel is right. I like to throw my suggestions out in bucketfuls, so that the creator/other people can consider them. I don't stick them out there hoping that they'll all be changed accordingly.)

Offline Sab0o

Hmm. I'll probably make the second pilot face forward again.

I wanted to get the tail fin shapes right before I did anything else, I guess I'll have to use my imagination here..
The guns are triangle in retail you're right.. Seems fun. I'll see what I can do.

but by no means should you let anyone on this thread influence what you feel is right.
Last time people stopped commenting and suggesting.. I got way ahead of myself and wasted loads of time UV-mapping v.v Your posts are excellent.

EDIT: update: Guns. I also smoothed out the bottom, top, and made the fins look a little nicer/smoother.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 09:57:10 pm by Sab0o »

Offline Kolgena

The guns look different, yet they'll be shooting the same laser. Any reason for that?
Otherwise, I like the bottom one more because it's filling up the empty space in the recessed box a lot better. Aside from that, I still feel that the flow is broken with having tubes that stick out of a hole for guns. I'm not sure what can be done to fix that though. maybe (big maybe) recess the barrels much more, so it's kinda like the guns are protected inside the hollows or something.

Look forward to screenshots of the body.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
I just noticed the Artemis' cockpit is HUGE! If cockpit view ever gets done for this the view will probably be stellar though improbable.

I actually round guns better but everyones entitled to their own opinion. Do what you think works best I guess.

Meh, I like rounded guns. Go better with the Artemis' sleek-ness.
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline Sab0o

Lol ambient occlusion.

I think the guns look pretty good.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I don't think there's much left to say except that you are an awesome person. Irrefutably so.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
My only complain is marked in this image:
Like it's too "fat" or too "stretched cylinder like"... I haven't checked against the retail model, so I can't quite tell if what I'm saying is right or wrong.

Aside from that, the model is looking quite good now.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Maybe it could just be a result of orthographic projection?