Author Topic: A WoD dev blog  (Read 421347 times)

That sounds good :)

But there's no Cyrvan StarMecha, or?

"Poor balance" wasn't meant to imply that the balance is poor(for 95% of players) it was meant to express my sympathy with the balance(as in: that poor sod, that poor thing) and the increasingly difficult act of balancing as complexity increases.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Axem

I can confirm now that WoD has poor FREDding.

(according to that definition)

Offline JSRNerdo

• [`_`]/
  • Gone!
I can confirm now that WoD has poor FREDding.

(according to that definition)

Don't we all?

... tries not to think about what to do for my future missions
Former Inferno lead, BTA fredder-ish and DE fredder. Driven out by ordinary fascists the_e, aesaar and general battuta. Will return if they're ever removed.

Offline Flak

The original Wings of Dawn is Zero Wing/1942 hard anyway, so for new players I supposed it was adjusted. 

Eh, I feel more like it was generally managable aside from the last mission which is just stupid hard and how insane the Fur'angle were if you weren't packing HEDRs. Death by constant screenshake is not fun.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Hidden Text: Show
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 08:00:55 pm by Spoon »
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline LoneFan

Reported for explicit content.
Meh, a 6 out of 10.

Offline JSRNerdo

• [`_`]/
  • Gone!
This person's tounge appears to be melting, would someone please call a doctor?
Former Inferno lead, BTA fredder-ish and DE fredder. Driven out by ordinary fascists the_e, aesaar and general battuta. Will return if they're ever removed.

Offline Enioch

• Alternative History Word Writer
Ffs, Spoon, what have you been doing to that poor girl?

I mean, if it's safe, sane and consensual then it's fine by me, but I don't see why you would ever think that indulging your exhibitionist tendencies on this board was anything close to OK or appropriate.

We can see her stroking your naked handle, ffs.
'Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent'  -Salvor Hardin, "Foundation"

So don't take a hammer to your computer. ;-)

In think Spoon just cuddled the girl to a near-comatose state.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
O-Oh no, how embarrassing! That I would accidently post a picture of my very private collection instead of a development pictures.
Please pretend you never saw anything!
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Lorric

Now we know the real reason why there hasn't been a release yet. There have been distractions... :P

Now we know the real reason why there hasn't been a release yet. There have been distractions... :P

Well Spoon can make his own distractions :D

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ

Well Spoon can make his own distractions :D
I'm livin' the dream.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Since he was brought up before:
Large parts of this vid are very relatable to me.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
 Me too.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline LoneFan

This puts things into perspective.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ

A couple of development milestones have been reached since the last actual dev update post. The first being that all of the episode 1 updating has been completed, with the campaign file being fully playable from start to finish. A few missions have been added, a few have been completely reworked and overall I'd say it's just a better experience now. Work on updating episode 1 and making episode 2 have been happening simultaneously all this time, so it was good for my mental state to finally being to check that one off the list.

Another one, which took a bit longer than initially calculated, were the visual novel backgrounds for episode 2. The backgrounds for episode 1 Axem made in Space Engineers, which didn't take too long to setup. For the interior of the Guardian Angel, he wanted to try his hand at Unreal engine 4. This was a bit of a learning experience for him, so it took some time. But I think it came out pretty great. And with some transparancy, lets us do things like at the 2:49 mark in the above video.

One of the locations in the Unreal Editor

Axem also did some amazing work on asteroid textures, improving basically all of the existing asteroids in some way, and adding a few more for specific purposes. As seen at the 3:24 mark, he replaced the original 'Scar asteroid' (from beyond the red line) and eventually got so fed up with making the inside of that asteroid not look like arse, that he just outright replaced the whole interior. Which was much needed, because it was very easy to get lost inside the interior, which could make the mission a bit frustrating. But now everyone can just focus on finding them precious ores.

Escaping the clutches of FRED's awful briefing editor, we're moving onto JAD style briefings now.

Dahblount also did some neat programming. Adding a 'failure rate' feature, allowing weapons to have a defined random chance to substitute out for another weapon. Which I use for the Ezchalon scattershot (the shotgun type weapon that was shown last post) to have some shells misfire and explode in your own face. The perils of using blackmarket weapons.
And on the subject of weapons, notice how in the first clip there's an ammo switching feature for the Bakaka weapon. Use the right ammo type against the right targets for the best damage. Another nifty script by the lua wizard Axem.

You can take part in a time attack race to earn some extra money to buy these weapons

Episode 2 at this point only has two missions left that need to be made (assuming I don't change my mind on that randomly), while the rest are 'complete' but will still need that sweet sweet polishing. The visual novel parts are the biggest amount of work left, which is just a time consuming process with no real shortcuts. In addition to writing, there's the spellchecking/editing, adding the syntax and testing it over and over to make sure it works. Work Work.
I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch of other things that have already been done in recent times, but eventually everything just kind of starts to blur together, and after working on WoD for so long I start to forget what is new and has been around for a while. (Also I'm typing this post at 03:00). In short, things are still steadily progressing, despite things occasionally taking a bit longer than initially expected.

I hope you will all look forward to the eventual end result.
Urutorahappī!!