Author Topic: Problem with last mission Apocalypse and ending cutscene  (Read 9897 times)

Problem with last mission Apocalypse and ending cutscene
I just finished the last mission of the stock campaign, jumping out before the Supernova. But I didn't get an ending cutscene. I have the off cutscene installed. I was just dropped into a debriefing screen, with no debriefing. When I tried to play the level again it just said the campaign was over and to start a new campaign.

Update: I tried installing the GOG game cutscenes, didn't work. Tried the corrupt profile fix offered in the FAQS section, still no cutscenes.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 12:53:51 pm by MarsNeedsWomen »

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
Re: Problem with last mission Apocalypse and ending cutscene
You "jumped out"? Did you get to the node triggering mission end or did you actually jump out using alt+J (which shouldn't happen)?

Just played it in the simulator and warpout is impossible. if it wasn't on your mission, there was an error.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature

You can jump out, you just have to be -in- the node to do it.

And there have been a lot of reports regarding the ending game movies not playing. And it's not been reproducible at all. OGG or MVE, doesn't seem to matter.

So, what version of FSO were you using, what version (if any) of the MediaVPs, and to what directory location do you have FreeSpace2 installed to?
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

I jumped inside the node. I had all the latest FSO and MediaVP stuff from Turey's installer. In anycase I did a complete manual reinstall. I'm currently playing Blue Planet, so this is now not an immediate concern.

Offline jon118

I have been able to reproduce this bug 100% of the time.

I am running the 3.6.13 build I recently built using Xcode 3.2.6 on a Mac running 10.6.7 Snow Leopard.

I've played through 3.6.13 twice to make sure. It always happens, no matter how I play the end.

(Note: It's identical to the bug reported on Mantis here:
http://scp.indiegames.us/mantis/view.php?id=2313)

I have saved games that will always give you the bug, (though all that's necessary is to play through to the end, as far as I can tell).

I will post a "fs2_open.log" and saved games here soon.

Sorry about the wait, I'll get them posted along with more detail within a few days.

Offline msylva1

I also have this issue.  If I don't jump out, the "bad" ending plays just fine, but I always get the "no briefing" error if I manage to make it the the node in time. 

I tried to play the GOG version of FS2 instead of using the launcher and the ending worked like a charm... although replaying the old version felt a bit strange ;)

Offline jon118

Alright... Sorry about the wait!
Here is a thorough and exhaustive description of the problem:

Here are the saves (pilot files, before AND after the end mission) and "fs2_open.log", and screenshot (see attachments).

Here are the details of what I'm running:

- Build 3.6.13 - nightly build FS2_Open-Inferno (debug)-20110728_r7384
- System: Macbook Pro (7,1) - Intel Core 2 Duo - 2.4 GHz - 4 GB RAM
- Graphics System: NVIDIA GeForce 320M - 256MB VRAM

---

Procedure to reproduce problem:

As far as I can tell, just play through the game to the end (or load my "before" pilot) and successfully get to the node, using the 3.6.13 build on a Mac. (I don't think you need my specific OS version, graphics chip, or nightly build to reproduce).

If you make it to the jump node, then a debriefing screen will display showing "No Debriefing for mission: SM3-10.fs2" and right above that in the debug build: "[name: SM3-10.fs2, mod: 08/18/09 at 13:30:00]" and the ending movies ("end game", "end game part 2a") will NOT play, and the movies will NOT be added to the list of cutscenes playable in the Tech Room.

However,

If you DON'T successfully make it to the jump node, then the end movie, and pilot death movie ("end game", "end game part 2b"), WILL both play and be added to the playable cutscenes (though the "end game part2a" cutscene will still NOT be played or added of course).

---

Effects of bug:

#1 - Causes a "No Debriefing for mission: SM3-10.fs2" screen to be displayed.

#2 - Causes the ending movies "End Game" and "End Game Part 2a" not to play or be added to the Cutscenes list in the Tech Room--making the end of the game very unsatisfying to the player.

---

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to be of help.

The only part of the log file that seems to be relevant is the very end. So to just make things even more convenient, here is that part:

Logfile after "winning" the last mission and successfully making it to the node and the "No Debriefing for mission: SM3-10.fs2"  screen, and the movies NOT playing:
Code: [Select]

... ... ...

Frame 29128: Could not create debris, no more slots left
ANI Head-TP3b.ani with size 160x120 (6.2% wasted)
ANI Head-CM5c.ani with size 160x120 (6.2% wasted)
Frame 31786 too long!!: frametime = 0.372 (0.372)
ANI Head-TP1b.ani with size 160x120 (6.2% wasted)
Frame 32570 too long!!: frametime = 0.372 (0.372)
Frame 33066 too long!!: frametime = 0.406 (0.406)
Got event GS_EVENT_PLAYER_WARPOUT_START (41) in state GS_STATE_GAME_PLAY (2)
Got event GS_EVENT_PLAYER_WARPOUT_DONE_STAGE1 (44) in state GS_STATE_GAME_PLAY (2)
Hit target speed.  Starting warp effect and moving to stage 2!
Got event GS_EVENT_PLAYER_WARPOUT_DONE_STAGE2 (45) in state GS_STATE_GAME_PLAY (2)
Hit warp effect.  Moving to stage 3!
Got event GS_EVENT_PLAYER_WARPOUT_DONE (46) in state GS_STATE_GAME_PLAY (2)
Player warped out.  Going to debriefing!
Got event GS_EVENT_DEBRIEF (33) in state GS_STATE_GAME_PLAY (2)
Unloading in mission messages
Storing stats now
Frame 33628 too long!!: frametime = 0.332 (0.332)
Frame 33628 too long!!: frametime = 0.269 (0.269)
Got event GS_EVENT_MAIN_MENU (0) in state GS_STATE_DEBRIEF (27)
Got event GS_EVENT_QUIT_GAME (5) in state GS_STATE_MAIN_MENU (1)
Freeing all existing models...
... Log closed, Mon Aug 01 08:30:45 2011

Also, here is the important part of the logfile after "losing" the last mission and NOT making it to the jump node, and the ending movie playing (and NO "No Debriefing for mission: SM3-10.fs2" screen being displayed):

... ... ...

Frame 27556: Could not create debris, no more slots left
Beam couldn't find a good object model/type!! (0)
Killing beam at initial fire because of illegal targeting!!!
ANI Head-TP3a.ani with size 160x120 (6.2% wasted)
ANI Head-CM2a.ani with size 160x120 (6.2% wasted)
ANI Head-CM5b.ani with size 160x120 (6.2% wasted)
Frame 30225 too long!!: frametime = 0.373 (0.373)
ANI Head-CM2c.ani with size 160x120 (6.2% wasted)
Frame 30904 too long!!: frametime = 0.387 (0.387)
ANI Head-VP1a.ani with size 160x120 (6.2% wasted)
Got event GS_EVENT_END_CAMPAIGN (59) in state GS_STATE_GAME_PLAY (2)
Unloading in mission messages
Storing stats now
MVE: Buffer underun (First is normal)
MVE: Buffer underun (First is normal)
Got event GS_EVENT_MAIN_MENU (0) in state GS_STATE_END_OF_CAMPAIGN (45)
SOUND: /Users/cliffgordon/fs2open_0/projects/Xcode/../../code/sound/ds.cpp:698 - OpenAL error = 'Invalid Name'
Frame 32510 too long!!: frametime = 225.258 (225.258)
Got event GS_EVENT_QUIT_GAME (5) in state GS_STATE_MAIN_MENU (1)
Freeing all existing models...
... Log closed, Mon Aug 01 09:59:02 2011

[attachment deleted by ninja]

Offline jon118

I've also created a report on Mantis for this bug here:
http://scp.indiegames.us/mantis/view.php?id=2478

Offline jon118

If you play and win the final mission by getting to the jump node in time, and do so using my pilot file, and a FreeSpace Open "v3.6.13 - nightly build", and no debriefing screen displays, and the end movie DOES play,
...then please post here and let us know!

Also, if you are using a Mac and a 3.6.13 - nightly build (not 3.6.12), and you get to the node and see the end movie,
then also please post here and let us know.

Offline msylva1

Yep, I have exactly the same problem as you do.  However, I'm using build 3.6.12 with Windows XP.   It doesn't seem like many other people are having this problem.

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
I've been having the same problem with 3.6.12 and the 3.6.12 MediaVPs on Mac OS X 10.6.8, but I haven't gotten around to posting a debug log yet. I know jon118 has posted one, but I figure extra debug logs couldn't hurt.

Speaking of which, msylva1, you might want to post a debug log (fs2_open.log) according to the instructions here. If you paste the contents of the log into your post, be sure to paste it within "code" tags (try the # button in the list of buttons and smileys that appears when you write a post).

EDIT: log attached. I jumped out successfully but got the "no debriefing" debriefing without a final cutscene.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 07:28:57 pm by jg18 »

Offline jon118

It appears the developers are suggesting we all play using the Antipodes 8 build:
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=73257.0

Because it is supposed to fix any kind of pilot file corruption (which appears to be the probable cause of this bug--even though it's 100% repeatable for me; playing though twice from the beginning on 3.6.13 with a new pilot). And even though I keep using clean installs for this test (no mods, etc.).

At the moment, I can't play the Ant8 build because my Sidewinder 2 joystick refuses to calibrate for it (though my joystick works perfectly for all other builds).

So if anyone can test for this bug using Antipodes 8 and post here, please do so and let the rest of us know. (Make sure and create a clean install and new pilot first!)

If I can get it working with my joystick, I'll post here also.

Thanks.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Ant8 won't fix this issue. I discovered this issue several months ago on Ant8.

I don't know how the problem cropped up.. but it's essentially the result of poor mission design.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline jon118

Note: Developer Mondragon marked this issue as "won't fix" and closed it in Mantis.

It seems like we're making progress on the cause pretty well. I wish the issue could remain open until the cause is found.

I'll probably be able to find the cause myself, given enough time, as I can get it to happen every time (in fact, I'm not sure I can get it NOT to happen every time!).

Is anyone able to complete the game without this bug happening?

Things that I am looking into that may be related (or maybe not at all):

- I've always received a "Triple Ace" award on the last 2-part mission.
- I've always destroyed all four of the Sathanis's beam cannons and flak guns before it meets the Colossus.
- All medals received also.

Also, make sure that if you test this, that you don't switch between builds while playing the same pilot file. Use only one pilot per build/build version. --Just to make sure that is eliminated as a factor.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 04:00:21 pm by jon118 »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Mondragon is me. And yes, we won't fix it, not until it is conclusively proven that this occurs on Antipodes 8 as well.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I've reproduced the bug in antipodes 8.

- Build 3.6.13 - Antipodes 8, SVN 7438

I tested as follows:
Created a new pilot
Entered the mission simulator
Pressed CTRL-SHIFT-S to get all missions
Played Apocalyse to the end
Jumped out within the Vega jumpnode after the supernova warning arrived
No cut-scenes played, just went straight to the "no debriefing" screen

fs2_open.log is attached.

Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Macfie

• If somebody made a campaign I've probably got it
The cutscenes are part of the campaign.  I don't think you get the cutscenes with the mission if you play it as a single mission.
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
The difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers is:
Mechanical Engineers build weapons.  Civil Engineers build targets
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Ah.

Doh.... guess I need to try to reproduce the hard way then  :)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I found the following modified campaign file on karajorma's FAQ website - it might be an easier way of trying to reproduce this bug.

Howto use:
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=39156.msg796927#msg796927

Just the campaign file:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/karajorma/FAQ/Downloads/CampaignRestarts/SM3-09-FromClashOfTheTitansII.rar

I was going to try this tonight, but before I do I'm interested to know if the The E (or other SCP'ers) think this would be a valid way of reproducing the bug (assuming of course that I *can* reproduce it this way)

Thanks

Update: Well, provided that testing with the short campaign file is valid, I've reproduced the bug.  The good ending doesn't play the cutscenes, the bad ending does.  Logs of both are attached.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 06:39:58 am by niffiwan »
----
----

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Err... triple post? (don't shoot me!)

I've been having a dig around in the code and I've got the good ending cutscenes to play as expected by re-adding some commented out code:

--- freespace2/freespace.cpp.orig 2011-08-13 14:11:56.717453688 +1000
+++ freespace2/freespace.cpp 2011-08-13 13:35:09.006816296 +1000
@@ -5251,17 +5251,12 @@
  break;

case GS_EVENT_DEBRIEF:
- // This IF block isn't needed because it's not part of the end-campaign logic.
- // The supernova code and end-campaign sexp handle it all. - G5K
- //
- // // did we end the campaign in the middle of a mission?
- // if (Campaign_ended_in_mission && (Game_mode & GM_CAMPAIGN_MODE) /*&& !stricmp(Campaign.filename, "freespace2")*/) {
- // gameseq_post_event(GS_EVENT_END_CAMPAIGN);
- // } else {
- // gameseq_set_state(GS_STATE_DEBRIEF);
- // }
- //
- gameseq_set_state(GS_STATE_DEBRIEF);
+
+ if (Campaign_ended_in_mission && (Game_mode & GM_CAMPAIGN_MODE) /*&& !stricmp(Campaign.filename, "freespace2")*/) {
+ gameseq_post_event(GS_EVENT_END_CAMPAIGN);
+ } else {
+ gameseq_set_state(GS_STATE_DEBRIEF);
+ }

//Player_multi_died_check = -1;
  break;

I know Goobers comment says that this code isn't required any more, but I can't see anything in the supernova code or the sexp code that will ever trigger a good ending.  To play the end cutscenes the code needs to enter the state GS_EVENT_END_CAMPAIGN and this is called from both starfield/supernova.cpp and parse/sexp.cpp.  However, the supernova code only enters this state when the supernova hits the player and the sexp code only runs when the supernova is triggered, not when the player jumps out.  And at the start of the supernova, quite naturally you don't want to enter the GS_EVENT_END_CAMPAIGN state.

Having said all this, I don't know if this is a great solution because it seems that the campaign doesn't get ended properly anyway, i.e. after either the good or bad ending you can click on the "continue campaign" button and it lets you replay the end mission instead of saying "campaign is complete" (but I if my memory is correct it was this way in retail anyway).

The whole end cutscene thing seems like a bit of a hack to me, wouldn't it be cleaner to have a "post mission cutscene" directive that you could add to the campaign file, similar to "+Briefing Cutscene:"?   Of course we're stuck with it now due to the "don't break retail" directive :p

Anyway, could someone else who is more experienced with the code have a look at this potential solution?

EDIT: forgot to attach the debug log from a good-ending while running my code change

----
----