Poll

How much would you contribute towards a Kickstarter aimed at acquiring the FreeSpace licence from Interplay?

< $10
14 (20.9%)
$10 - $100
38 (56.7%)
$100 - $250
7 (10.4%)
$250 - $500
5 (7.5%)
$500 - $1000
1 (1.5%)
$1000 - $10k
0 (0%)
$10k+
2 (3%)

Total Members Voted: 67

Author Topic: A chance for FS3 with the help from kickstarter ?  (Read 33108 times)

Offline wuu

Re: A chance for FS3 with the help from kickstarter ?
At the very least, it would finally be an accurate gauge of the level of interest in the Freespace IP, forcing people to put their money where their mouths have been for over a decade.

Could this be the most important part, what level of interest in a space sim, generally speaking exist can you use the downloads number from TBP or WCS as gauge meter.

This is quite interesting http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/850516062/wings-directors-cut
and http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2?ref=category to compare them I thing is impossible but what they have in common is the nostalgic approach both games have, but Wings a Director's Cut and Wasteland 2 a sequel! That would explain mostly the support, but that is Guess Fu !

« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 08:12:54 am by wuu »
Der Freigeist

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Wouldn't a problem that we would run into with a Kickstarter project be, that in expressing interest in the FS IP, we would be announcing to Interplay that is has value, and thus driving the price that Interplay would ask up higher than it already is?

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Well you can't get the IP without asking them, and asking them shows it has value. You can't avoid that, kickstarter or not.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Wouldn't a problem that we would run into with a Kickstarter project be, that in expressing interest in the FS IP, we would be announcing to Interplay that is has value, and thus driving the price that Interplay would ask up higher than it already is?

My perception was always to first go to Interplay and ask them how much they want for the IP, and only then go to Kickstarter to try and raise that money.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam

My perception was always to first go to Interplay and ask them how much they want for the IP, and only then go to Kickstarter to try and raise that money.

Sounds good... but would Interplay then, after seeing the potential value, increase their asking price, hoping to get away with it?  Honestly, the FS IP as it stands, in their grasp, probably has very little value, as they won'r do anything with it, and won't let anyone else do anything with it.

EDIT: What I mean is, it would be rather crushing to reach the Kickstarter goal, maybe even surpass it, and then have Interplay slam the door in our faces, perhaps in the hope that some other company would make them a higher offer, now that the Kickstarter project has shown the interest level.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
im not saying im totally against the idea. we might risk the community, or risk making the rights to freespace even harder to attain. but what worth doing comes without risk? my last post was just highlighting possible worst case scenarios.

should probibly add a poll to this thread and figure out how much money the freespace community is willing to throw at the idea. it would also be beneficial to figure out exactly how much interplay wants for the rights. if the numbers add up then go for it. also try to get :v: involved somehow, to provide incentives to fund larger than usual sums of money, like autographed v/fs merch.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
also try to get :v: involved somehow, to provide incentives to fund larger than usual sums of money, like autographed v/fs merch.

Ahh, that's a good idea for tier rewards. :)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me

Sounds good... but would Interplay then, after seeing the potential value, increase their asking price, hoping to get away with it?  Honestly, the FS IP as it stands, in their grasp, probably has very little value, as they won'r do anything with it, and won't let anyone else do anything with it.

EDIT: What I mean is, it would be rather crushing to reach the Kickstarter goal, maybe even surpass it, and then have Interplay slam the door in our faces, perhaps in the hope that some other company would make them a higher offer, now that the Kickstarter project has shown the interest level.

i for one wouldnt buy an fs3 that wasnt made by :v:
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
What I mean is, it would be rather crushing to reach the Kickstarter goal, maybe even surpass it, and then have Interplay slam the door in our faces, perhaps in the hope that some other company would make them a higher offer, now that the Kickstarter project has shown the interest level.

At that point, it would be a business decision by Interplay that would be hard to justify towards their shareholders. Suppose they tell us that they'll part with the license for $xxx. If we then come up with that sum, they'll have to find a justification why a lump sum of xxx Dollars guaranteed is not desirable. Gambling on attempting to develop the license further, which means coming up with money to pay developers to work on it in the hope that the produced game will make more profit doesn't actually sound like a good business idea to me, not when there are people around willing to give them cash.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline wuu

im not saying im totally against the idea. we might risk the community, or risk making the rights to freespace even harder to attain. but what worth doing comes without risk? my last post was just highlighting possible worst case scenarios.

should probibly add a poll to this thread and figure out how much money the freespace community is willing to throw at the idea. it would also be beneficial to figure out exactly how much interplay wants for the rights. if the numbers add up then go for it. also try to get :v: involved somehow, to provide incentives to fund larger than usual sums of money, like autographed v/fs merch.

A have no problem to add a poll but , would like to read more comments on reasonable options like for example 10 dollars are in my budget!

I think it would be necessary to have already XXX money for lets say for property rights negotiation with interplay to get a fixed price for the ip.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 09:58:25 am by wuu »
Der Freigeist

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
At that point, it would be a business decision by Interplay that would be hard to justify towards their shareholders.

Since when were Interplay known for their good business sense? :p
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me

A have no problem to add a poll but , would like to read more comments on reasonable options like for example 10 dollars are in my budget!

I think it would be necessary to have already XXX money for lets say for property rights negotiation with interplay to get a fixed price for the ip.

id just say something like: $0-$10, $10-$100, $100-$1k, $1k-$10k, $10k+. you can narrow the ranges down i guess, depending on the number of options you are allowed to put up.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
At that point, it would be a business decision by Interplay that would be hard to justify towards their shareholders.

Since when were Interplay known for their good business sense? :p

Definitely true.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline wuu

I add a poll, some kind of start to see what real interist exit in our community to see FS3 ?
Der Freigeist

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
I add a poll, some kind of start to see what real interist exit in our community to see FS3 ?
I think adding a poll is a great idea, but could someone please add Snuffy?

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper

No, and I'll remove it if it's added.

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod

No, and I'll remove it if it's added.
Sorry, I thought it was considered to be a standard poll option, even a required one.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
More like a silly tradition, but in some cases I suspect it skews poll results. This would be one of those cases where I'd rather the results not get skewed.

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
All right, then how about an option for "0 $" (changing "0 - 10 $" to "1 to 10 $") or "Not interested"? Since "0 - 10 $" isn't really the same thing. Or is the poll only for measuring interest and not lack of interest?

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
I've adjusted the options; it's for showing interest, not lack thereof. I also made it a bit more granular in the areas I'd hope people would be able to contribute (the $100 - $1000 range), so if you voted earlier and I changed your vote amount, you can change your vote.