Poll

How much would you contribute towards a Kickstarter aimed at acquiring the FreeSpace licence from Interplay?

< $10
14 (20.9%)
$10 - $100
38 (56.7%)
$100 - $250
7 (10.4%)
$250 - $500
5 (7.5%)
$500 - $1000
1 (1.5%)
$1000 - $10k
0 (0%)
$10k+
2 (3%)

Total Members Voted: 67

Author Topic: A chance for FS3 with the help from kickstarter ?  (Read 33128 times)

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
Re: A chance for FS3 with the help from kickstarter ?
The problem is that it's never anything new. So it goes nowhere and just annoys the regulars.

Kickstarter still feels somewhat new to me. And I feel it to be pretty often that I hear of "random project X" surprising everyone by raising way more than anyone ever thought it would. I'm not saying Freespace is necessarily one of those projects, but how can you know for certain if you don't try?
I am a revolutionary.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
You are aware that the discussion has moved beyond that point already? Yes? Good.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline HAZARDLEADER

• LOL! A wild derp appears!
  • The lurk god.
The other thing we could do is just buy the license for ourselves and start selling all of our mods. :D
I hope your kidding.
...and from the depths of hell I return with gifts;  one-hundred bucks and a bottle of booze.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
The other thing we could do is just buy the license for ourselves and start selling all of our mods. :D
I hope your kidding.

The kidding does not belong to him.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
You are aware that the discussion has moved beyond that point already? Yes? Good.

Sorry. Geez, the sheer hostility that is displayed around this subject makes me not even want to discuss it.

* Ulala wanders off.
I am a revolutionary.

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
So one misconception needs to be cleared up: Just because you raise the money for the rights to make FS3 happen, Interplay is, in no way, obligated to sell them to you. Also, if the community raised enough money to actually do so, there's a solid chance that interplay would keep the rights because you just proved that those rights have a real value.

Anyone who gives money to a kickstarter account that had zero control over what it promises is a fool.
US: Hey interplay! We have thousands of dollars of donated money to buy the rights to FS!

Interplay: Wow! People will pay just for a chance of a game? I think we would rather cash in on that, sorry to all your investors!

What you need to do is secure a business loan and by the rights. That way, interplay still sees it as a low potential product, and will be more inclined to sell it. Once you have the rights, use kickstarter to pay back the loan.

Still risky, but more plausible.
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
So one misconception needs to be cleared up: Just because you raise the money for the rights to make FS3 happen, Interplay is, in no way, obligated to sell them to you.

The simplest answer would be to arrive at a written agreement with Interplay beforehand, where they agree to sell the IP for $XYZ if we can raise that sum by a certain date. If we don't manage to raise the sum via the kickstarter, then no cards are charged and nothing happens besides the media attention it might have garnered. If we do raise the sum, Interplay would be legally obligated to sell the IP. We could hire a lawyer to pound out said agreement if there's no lawyers among the community willing to contribute.
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
I missed that.

Regardless, you are proposing the following:

US: Hey Interplay! If we prove the potential of the freespace ip, (read: get enough people to invest) will you give it up for a price that you agreed to before you knew its true value?

Any smart company would not agree to losing out like that. You are saying that if we don't get the interest and investments, Interplay stays where it is. If you start a kick starter and people go nuts, and you hit the goal in three minutes, then Interplay absorbs all the risk, hoping that they didn't just sell  cash cow for less than its worth.

Talk to interplay. Get price. Pay up front. Kickstarter to pay back loan/fund development. Minimizes interplays risk, we get the ip.
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Increases our risk because we would have to get the collateral to secure the loan, and would have to pay it out of our own hands if the Kickstarter fails.

We would ALSO have to convince a bank to get us the loan; this would require us making a real business plan that focusses on how we're going to make a game using the aquired IP that will make enough profit to pay back the investment, since we (or rather, the bank) cannot rely on the kickstarter succeeding.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Indeed, good luck finding a bank that would loan this amount of money, to a completely unknown customer, who lists a hit-or-miss fundraising site as business plan. Not in this decade, not in this economy. Not to mention that failure of the project would leave people who take this loan wearing an old barrel (to share...) and living under the bridge. Maybe Interplay is right, and this market is pretty much dead, HLP isn't exactly a large portion of the world's population.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
maybe we should just get thq to buy out interplay. this would also secure the rights to other franchises, descent 4 for example (volition was supposed to get this one anyway, which is where red faction comes from, that was supposed to be the descent 4 engine).
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 11:32:48 am by Nuke »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
maybe we should just get thq to buy out interplay.

As if THQ wasn't broke as well ...

ps. for the record: the only FS related crowdfunding I would dontate to would be to get the IP and lay the francise to rest, stopping ANYONE from screwing with it ... status quo isn't the best but it is better than throwing a sequel, reboot or what-have-you out there with nothing but the label "Freespace" on it ...
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 12:54:30 pm by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
Exactly. Interplay will not want the risk. Neither do we.

For the record, great achievements often require do or die type risk. Sometimes you have to put it all on the line. I'm not saying its always required, just don't expect big things to happen without it. More often than not, you wind up disappointed.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
For the record, great achievements often require do or die type risk. Sometimes you have to put it all on the line. I'm not saying its always required, just don't expect big things to happen without it. More often than not, you wind up disappointed.

As far as I am concerned, FS isn't such a situation. For me, anyway, and not when the status quo we do have isn't exactly bad.

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
I agree that the status quo isn't bad. I rather enjoy it. The thing is, even if the risk isn't huge, it is there no matter how you look at it. And if no one wants the risk, then it won't happen.

Offline HAZARDLEADER

• The lurk god.
"And if no one wants the risk, then it won't happen."
I'm willing to take the risk.
...and from the depths of hell I return with gifts;  one-hundred bucks and a bottle of booze.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Then fork over the money.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?

How much money are you willing risk?

EDIT: forget it. This thread is, or should be, dead. The only remaining option?

SHARK TANK.

Offline HAZARDLEADER

• The lurk god.

How much money are you willing risk?

EDIT: forget it. This thread is, or should be, dead. The only remaining option?

SHARK TANK.
I don't have much to risk. I'm still willing to contribute. It won't be much, but the whole things gotta start somewhere right? 
Where will the money go? What account? What site? I can't contribute if I don't know where to send the money too. Plus if I read the correctly you guys still have to talk too  :v: and Interplay before this entire thing starts...right, because I'm not going to start giving unless we have a go on buying the rights. Like Rga_norris said this thread should be dead. If we are going to continue these talks, and or have a community pitch in... we will need a new thread.

Its mainly up to you guys to get this started.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
if the poll thus far is any indication then id say the idea probibly wouldn't work.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN