Author Topic: What are you playing right now?  (Read 203304 times)

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Re: What are you playing right now?
I've been trying to make Starlancer (yes, I finally got a copy off eBay for basically nothing) work but unfortunately it's either having glitchy graphics or use DGvoodoo2 in Software mode because the game uses a few features that have been since dropped and using the wrapper in hardware mode results in glitchy menu interface and texture-less graphics.
Which is weird, I remember the demo working just fine, but probably it was just me not noticing how weird-looking the nebulas were on a modern card.
I also had to roll back from the "optional" drivers I had installed because AMD had messed up the GPU scaling in the beta drivers so the game looked squished no matter what I did.
And of course I had to use a crack because the cd protection used doesn't work on Windows 7.
Now, if only the choice wasn't  between a horrible frame rate and graphical glitches of varying entity...
Strangely enough I don't seem to have issues with the multicore CPU for now.

EDIT

In the end I managed to make it work by enabling "fast memory access" in DGvoodoo2, which is supposed to be one of the "not really recommended" options but it worked nonetheless only now I have to edit the .ini otherwise the game is locked at 640x480, I was going to that anyway to unlock the 1280x1024 resolution but it's still rather odd.
I tried the instant action and I was able to play without glitches or crashes, to be on the safe side I made a Radeon profile that disabled every modern thingamabob and just used DGvoodoo2 to force 8x anti aliasing. Now I only have to properly finish the joystick profile, I have a partial one made some time ago but it includes only the bare minimum to play the demo mission.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 04:38:49 am by Det. Bullock »
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Last King of Scotland
Fired up DS9: The Fallen the other day, because it's been too long and I wanted to play one of the few good Star Trek games. It's a 3rd person shooter based on the unreal engine, with really ****ing cool maps and surprisingly horror-esque music cues and atmosphere.

When I fired this game up for the first time I must've been 8-10 years old. The very first alien the player encounters (asides from the drones) has shields that are impenetrable unless first scanned by the tricorder and adjustments made on the hand phaser. Which I never figured out until my teenage years.

And that alien was ****ing terrifying. It has a red laser that points straight at you then it roars and charges. I used to have nightmares about them.

The very first mission has you wandering around a Bajoran science vessel and it's such a cool map. The weapons are really great too - I personally love the hand phaser just by itself.

Been playing some SE, dogfighting in a variety of fighters against some friends. Even made a replica of the old 158th CCF Volkov.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Reality is the finest flesh...
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Fired up DS9: The Fallen the other day, because it's been too long and I wanted to play one of the few good Star Trek games. It's a 3rd person shooter based on the unreal engine, with really ****ing cool maps and surprisingly horror-esque music cues and atmosphere.

I remember that ... I also remember that it's three campaigns were are widely different in tone and with nice character specific mechanics (both also difficulty curves) ... too bad that like most good Trek games (Klingon Academy, Starfleet Command 2, the Armada-series) its on none of the digital storefronts...

I gave the demo for Valkyria Chronicles 4 on PS4 a go... its just three missions not counting skirmish maps (one tutorial and first two story missions) but it felt longer, mostly because the missions are multi-stage.
The result fills me with enthusiasm for the release next month.
"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Man, I used to have Starfleet Command 2 somewhere, now I wanna go find it !

In other news, I gave up trying to get Arcanum to work. The interface is fine, but the game world is all black, none of the solutions listed on the forums or the various things I tried worked. Too bad, I really wanted to try my stealthy half-ogre technologist build...

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Twitter
I fell into a Gran Turismo Sport-shaped hole

**** every cause that ends in murder and children crying. ― Iain Banks
Join the fun at the HLP IRC channel. Get the latest spam and gossip as long as it's fresh!

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Honestly thought that was a photo before I focused on it.  Damn that's pretty.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Spear of Destiny (PC)
I finished for the first time, the difficulty gets a bit ridiculous at times, but it's still good fun.
The problems start with the expansions, for some reason the graphics have been thoroughly reskinned and often not very well, there are also different sounds and voice samples (oddly the same music though), and the level design becomes stupidly convoluted and often uses obligatory secret passages that forced me to look at level maps for the first time because I was fed up with hugging every wall in an attempt to find the pushable wall that hid the key to the level exit.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor