Author Topic: What are you playing right now?  (Read 613791 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: What are you playing right now?
how the Vox Populi and oppressed races become just as bad as the whites after they are set free

I get what you're going for here but there's a reason everybody's reaction to it in game was pretty much 'yikes'.

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
I am playing Jeanne D'Arc for a few days now.

It is actually quite good. Even it is about Demons possessing English troops, it is surprisingly historical accurate. So you learn something about history in the end.
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
I've picked up playing HAWX 2 (PC) again. I'm have a blast, but it is irritating that I have to re-bind some of the joystick buttons every time I play.

I've heard that the original is even better, but I have only found it in two places, and don't want to pay $10 without at least trying it.  Anyone here have any experience with it?
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Not me, but you could watch a let's play :)
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

I took a break from Red Rising 2: Vietnam due to encountering infuriating faction imbalance on the new map Demilitarised Zone. Imagine that, making a map where if the US is defending the initial objective -a giant hill with good visibility- they have an absurd advantage due to having superior firepower. Because duh, they're the US. Not to mention the defenders get an unfair advantage due to being able to cross 'no man's land', an area the attackers can't venture into without capturing the local point first, that gives the defenders a great vantage point to flank the attackers with the little cover they do get.

So I started playing Monster Hunter World again. I invited a friend to play, and he as a Purist didn't really enjoy it. Which is fair. The game's roster of monsters is fairly sparse. The older Title's were on the same engine, with the easy option of reusing the older models. The fact that World is a 'GAAS' title means that they'll add more content to it, with the upcoming Iceborne. (Which I forgot to get a Beta code for).

It's a pretty good entry point for beginners however, the movement is the smoothest it's ever been, whetstones are infinite now, the tracking system etc. I'd recommend it. Unless you're easily infuriated with grind.

I finally bought Age of Empires 2 HD. The first multiplayer match I played had my random team mate use his Siege engines to destroy all my mines and replace mine with his. :lol:
But it's as good as I remember it being.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Bloodstained: Ritual of The Night (PC)
Surprisingly problem-free PC port (got it on GOG).
I think I might have ended up being a tad overleveled from all the sidequests and secrets I've been hunting down because the last few ones have been easier than expected (I just got past the boss that gives you the transporter light beam) also the Not-Medusa-Head familiar has been extremely helpful.
I also suspect that the alchemist canned comments when you talk to him might vary depending on the real time hour and in general there are quite a lot of little details here and there like different death animations for some enemies depending on the weapon you used for the killing blow.
It is visibly an alternate timeline from Curse of The Moon though the characters from the 2D game seem to be all there including the protagonist of Curse, Zangetsu.
Gameplay-wise is very much like one of the Sorrow games (Aria of Sorrow for GBA and Dawn of Sorrow for DS) only with SOTN production values and without the DS gimmicks of DoS with some additions like a crafting system, which is a good thing as the Metroidvania by IGA on GBA and DS ironed out a few of the kinks SOTN still had like the tendency to drop power ups needed to complete the game without telling you how they worked.

I dabbled a bit with the new DLL wrapper for Tie Fighter 98, now it allows to force LOD and textures to the max possible resolution like it did in X-wing vs Tie Fighter so now the game looks much better with only the bigger objects looking a bit smeared (it also has a Xinput joystick emulation for those that want to use a modern gamepad).

0.0 Tell me more.
The old DLL wrapper didn't override the game settings for LOD and mipmap because it was made with XvT and XWA in mind, differently from them the TF remake didn't have full graphics options so even with the forced rendering resolution everything appeared on default settings which are rather low making textures appear more smeared than they should.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 09:24:33 am by Det. Bullock »
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Eh, this thread is close enough...

Today's Jimquisition was really good, and I think very important.

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
Dang, the part with the testimonials was sad.

. . .

Also, that CEO's little "presentation",  :beamz:
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Finished Axiom Verge (PC)
This is the kind of game that while more or less good has also some irritating bits that knock it down a notch.
First of all the world design is not very intuitive and to compensate the game often locks you inside a certain area until you got the power up necessary to proceed, so no backtracking to find some extra upgrades in case the obligatory boss battle to get it is a little too tough for you. And the backtracking itself is made rather irritating because of the fact that even in the endgame you just aren't as powerful compared to other Metroidvanias, you never get to be Samus Aran with the screw attack and some enemies are a pain in the ass to dispose of before you can try and search a room for secrets.
I finished the game with 75% upgrades and 90% of the map and while there is an extra epilogue for 100% completion I don't know if I have the patience to try. Especially considered that the last area is full of enemies that are hard to kill and hit really hard so backtracking from the last save stations is going to be a pain I don't look forward to.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
A heavily modded S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Lost Alpha Developer's Cut 1.4007 https://www.moddb.com/mods/lost-alpha

Its free and bloody amazing if you like that sort of thing :-)
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Project Nimbus got a big graphics and tweak overhaul for PC: which if you haven't played, you absolutely should if you are a fan of Mecha, Freespace, or Ace Combat.

It's got a lot of heart for a little indie game, and it's comparable in tone and feel to Wings of Dawn, if it were Gundam and not a harem game. :P

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Breath of the Wild is swiftly working its way up my list of favorite games of all time.  The world Nintendo created is simply incredible, and I keep stumbling across new things to do at pretty much every location I wander into.  (Over 50 hours in and I don't even have a tenth of the Korok Seeds.)  I think the real brilliance of its design is that a few basic mechanical choices lead to all sorts of fun emergent gameplay.  And the story is about as dark as I've seen from a mainline Nintendo title: a truly broken post-apocalyptic world, and flashbacks to a Zelda who's having a legitimate existential crisis.  Crazy.

Breath of the Wild is swiftly working its way up my list of favorite games of all time.  The world Nintendo created is simply incredible, and I keep stumbling across new things to do at pretty much every location I wander into.  (Over 50 hours in and I don't even have a tenth of the Korok Seeds.)  I think the real brilliance of its design is that a few basic mechanical choices lead to all sorts of fun emergent gameplay.  And the story is about as dark as I've seen from a mainline Nintendo title: a truly broken post-apocalyptic world, and flashbacks to a Zelda who's having a legitimate existential crisis.  Crazy.

I've never in my life owned a game console of any kind but the more I hear about this game the more I think I need to fork over some of my precious uni dollars for a switch just for this.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Bloodstained: Ritual of The Night (PC) has become the fourth game I got all the achievements for which is saying something.

Also went on with the training missions in TIE Fighter 98.
Got the gold medal for the TIE Fighter, the bronze medal for the TIE Bomber and both flight patches. I'll probably start the campaign as soon as I finish with the Bomber and do the TIE Interceptor flight training and combat training when I first get to fly one in the campaign.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Dipped into the shallow shallow depths of Detroit: become human (as it's free on PlayStation plus this month).

It's exactly what I expected  :lol:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
I am fighting my way through Bang! Gunship Elite, a forgotten space game from 2000, on Hard Difficulty for my YouTube channel.

Well, so far this difficulty can stand up its name. I am in mission 4 of 19 only and it is indeed very challenging already.
In this mission i have to protect a convoy on its way to a station and i am being overwhelmed with my two wingmen by countless enemies.

It is a not very good game in terms of the Space Combat genre actually. But i have the impression, that this one does not want to be one after all.
The whole gameplay has more in common with the Shmup genre, only it is in First Person in a free flyable area and that there are mission objectives instead of Bosses.
For a shmup it is atleast a very interesting entry, that added some things from the space combat genre. So it wanted to make things different.

It is also an obscure entry, as it was already fully developed and localized in English, French, Spanish, Italian and German. But it was only released in USA in English for PC and Dreamcast. The german language version on PC was released only through a gaming magazine over one year later.
The other language versions were unreleased as far as i know... maybe because Red Storm Entertainment, which were the publisher of this game, were bought by Ubisoft in the same year.
Very hard for the french developers, as it was their native language version never released  :o

Interestingly, the Dreamcast Disc has some files that refers to a japanese version as well, also it has some files that refer to exclusive gameplay options for the Naomi 2 system. Even they does not seem to be fully implemented in this version, as the normal game is loaded with a Naomi emulator.

But maybe there were at least plans to make an Arcade version of this game later, too
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 05:53:38 pm by Novachen »
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
OMGoodness I had forgotten about Bang!  I played the snot out of the demo, but sadly I never bought the full game.  I may need to start searching tonight.
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
AC: Unity and We. The Revolution. - because I am writing a paper on them. Being a historian is fun.  :D

Destiny 2 - because someone of from "that Axis-raid" gifted me a Shadowkeep-preorder. Unsuprised to see that Bungie introduced new "smash the board"-weapon for Gambit (Truth and Beloved) :rolleyes:
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
I've dipped my toes into Monster Boy and The Cursed Kingdom (PC) before my shift started. Fortunately the price for PC is lower than the console version so I could fit it into my budget. I've made it to the first checkpoint after the end of the demo. Sprite animation during the various microcutscenes is really detailed considered they aren't pre-rendered (in comparison the animations in Wayforward's remake of Ducktales while they did their job looked way less elaborate) and I still died a couple of times before beating the first boss (which means I needed the power-ups dropped by the little dragon after the second failed attempt). Still, the game has a sort of combo attack in addition to the normal slash usually found in Wonderboy/Monster World games like The Dragon's Trap and magic seems to be used also for navigating the environment instead of just being another tool for combat like in most of the other games in the series.