Author Topic: What are you playing right now?  (Read 613855 times)

Re: What are you playing right now?
It puts my ps4 through its paces... animation seems a little stiff at times (its the hips) but good looking and detailled.

I find that the faces are quite far into the Uncanny Valley. It makes them very hard to look at.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
It puts my ps4 through its paces... animation seems a little stiff at times (its the hips) but good looking and detailled.

I find that the faces are quite far into the Uncanny Valley. It makes them very hard to look at.

Well, I am by disposition the worst witness for that; the only good point I see in the whole photorealistic facial animation obsession is its potential to promote inclusivity, as abstraction runs into bias problems. So I don't exactly care for execution...
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
I've finished Everspace (PC) with the Encounters DLC a few days ago.
The roguelike nature in the end even at easy bothered me quite a bit.
Yes, the gameplay is solid but having to go through 6 sectors so many times gets repetitive fast.
I'm glad they are ditching the roguelike formula for the sequel.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
I was looking thru games I had not yet played, and started Hypergate today.  It's a fun, casual, linear mission-based space shooter with voice acting.  There is a bit of a story but so far the action has all been pretty much the same (blow up fighters and capship turrets) with upgradeable primary energy guns and missiles. The upgrades are purchased with points you earn during play.  You can also upgrade shields and coolant systems, allowing you to shoot and boost longer.  The game reminds me a lot of the old Merscom game Project Freedom: Space Interceptor, but without ground attacks and less storytelling within the game (so far almost all lore comes from mission briefs).

The flight model is accessible and it works great with my joystick.  M+K and gamepads are also supported, but I have not tried them.  HOTAS would be overkill; I don't even use all 8 buttons on the joystick.  The campaign is pretty short, but you can replay any mission.  You can also set up single player skirmishes and LAN games, but I have not yet tried those either.

It appears that this was developed by one individual who is actively adding content.  Per the Steam page, more ships and campaign missions are expected next year. 
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline 0rph3u5

Follow up on Jedi - Fallen Order

Pushed through this evening; they delivered one of the better Star Wars games in the tradition of TIE
Fighter, Republic Commando & KOTOR
2 (i.e. they build a game constent with the universe but not bogged down by emulating moments from the films)

It certainly has its flaws (as mentioned animation, including faces, and the combat is more showy than weighty) but as franchise starter it can stand tall.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

... but as franchise starter it can stand tall.

Breaking news: EA kills "Jedi" franchise, assigns Respawn to work on Apex Legends 2. Cites sales "below expectations" as reason.

(I made that up, but it sounds terrifyingly plausible, right?)

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
It's what I expect.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline 0rph3u5

... but as franchise starter it can stand tall.

Breaking news: EA kills "Jedi" franchise, assigns Respawn to work on Apex Legends 2. Cites sales "below expectations" as reason.

(I made that up, but it sounds terrifyingly plausible, right?)

You really should to learn to fiddle while watching Rome burn, you know...

==================

The Ace Combat 7 DLC, that series does arcade sim immersion better than any game since Freespace 2, and I mean that.
This most recent run is about taking on a surplus Yuke sub-carrier trying to carry out a terrorist attack on Osea. It's Hunt for Red October, AC style.

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
The Ace Combat 7 DLC, that series does arcade sim immersion better than any game since Freespace 2, and I mean that.
This most recent run is about taking on a surplus Yuke sub-carrier trying to carry out a terrorist attack on Osea. It's Hunt for Red October, AC style.
Salvation of Spilled Cola, an elegant massacre upon Crisp White Sheets.

Man. Just thinking about that boss fight with the Alicorn gives me goosebumps. The Whie Noise vibes I got from the music was a real nostalgia trip too.

Next year is the 25th anniversary of the series, and I'm excited to see what they're announcement will be. (please be remastered trilogy)

Online Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Wowsers that last quarter century flew by!!
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Halo: Reach

On PC

On Steam

It's been 12 years since the last Halo game I played.

When I figured I wouldn't be able to play 3 without an XBOX, ever, I actually emailed Microsoft and promised to buy it release day if they ever put it on PC. And now I'm not technically playing that one, but I know it'll be here soon, and I'm actually playing something new, finally...

Online Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Reach is the best one.
😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline Mpez

installs Subnautica
plays for 20 hours
enjoys the game
never goes near the ship
builds a submarine
"ok I'm ready to go near the ship. What could possibly go wrong?"
Spoiler:
oh

I'm so glad I don't have VR...
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 09:40:04 am by Mpez »

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Finished Metroid Prime Trilogy (Wii)
I don't remember much of the first Prime, the second is affected by Tomb Raider 2 syndrome (for some reason it amplifies the difficulty of the combat encounters even if the gameplay isn't really centered that much on it), the third is still action heavy but the difficulty is more humane.
They just feel a bit janky, especially if you keep in mind the first two were made to be played without motion controls.
It's fun when you explore and search for upgrades, but the combat often feels like a chore and the motion controls don't help as they are way more tiring than a controller or mouse and keyboard. I think I might have liked the games better overall if Echoes was less frustrating, I think I might have died less than five times in that game yet it sent me into fits of swearing quite often. Of course it doesn't help that the hardware limitations often mean that doors take a lifetime to open because the console can only keep one room at a time in its RAM, Prime 3 in particular takes the cake with doors that sometimes take almost a minute to open: I JUST WANT TO GET TO THE SAVE POINT SO I CAN GO TO SLEEP OPEN DAMMIT!
Well, at least it doesn't lock you up in a room full of agile bullet sponges until you defeated them as often as the first two.
I prefer the 2D Metroid games overall.
Hell, I think I might have enjoyed more Metroid II on the Gameboy: a game people often complain about for not aging gracefully.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
FS wise I have been playing through Shadow Genesis, because I was intrigued to see the Nightmares. It looks lovely, sounds good, plays ok but is pretty unbalanced in terms of difficulty - too hard too soon.

Non FS wise I have been binge playing Blood: Fresh supply because tossing dynamite whilst cackling like a nutter never gets old  :cool:

Still playing through a heavily modded S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Lost Alpha Developers Cut 1.4007. Superb game for the most part, bloody huge and completely free  ;) - Message me if you want to know more and how to view more addons than the launcher shows by default.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/lost-alpha

Also been playing The Sims 4 because my daughter twisted my arm into getting it. Pretty good fun, and building mansions I will never afford to live in IRL is strangely therapeutic. We have been experimenting with mods which let you create some seriously, er, 'special' looking sims.

Finally, I have been playing Final Fight LNS. It is a superb - although VERY hard - Beats of Rage open game. Basically mix all three Final Fight games together plus a huge rosta of playable characters from Capcom games such as Street Fighter 2/3, Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, Aliens vs Predator and others. Serious competition for Streets of Rage Remake 5.1 for the title for 'Best Brawler' in existence.

http://fflns.com/index.php?seccion=descarga
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Playing Red Dead Redemption 2.

It is very likely going to join RDR in the list of really good games that I will always hold dear and praise to high heaven but will only ever play to completion once.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Online Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Because its bloody massive right?
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline 0rph3u5

Titanfall 2 (single-player)

So I've been given Titanfall/Titanfall a pass for a long while because ... well, I suck at FPS PvP (well, at any kind of PvP really). I can see now why everyone was so enamoured with the game even though I don't follow.

I mean, it sure is worth your while - it has a good (capital F) Flow, a good unity of foward momentum in the gameplay and the narrative meantings of the phrase and one of the few game I know that made playing mandatory first person not feel like a chore.

However there is no ... for the want of the better expression statisfaction to be head beyond the proficient execution of the tasks before you.

==================