Author Topic: what is an ‘XGD’ file and what is it used for?  (Read 2320 times)

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
what is an ‘XGD’ file and what is it used for?
Hi guys, i am applying for a games company and they have sent me a list of tech questions and one of them is "what is an ‘XGD’ file and what is it used for?" I am stumped on this, i know its something to do with Xbox but other that i dont have a clue, and my search on the net has come to much fruition. Does anybody here know?
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: what is an ‘XGD’ file and what is it used for?
xgd's are used during the authoring process for XBox 360 games and provide layout information.*

Now, the question is, do you actually need to know that? Google turns up a number of links with remarkably similar questions.....

*Answer was found via a simple quick google query. I take no responsibility for it. Is your google-fu that weak, youngling?
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
there isn't much information on it but as far as I can tell, it's an image file (like ISO, not like PNG) for the xbox 360. Apparently you wouldn't know about it unless you've worked with xbox 360 game disc authoring, and the contents of the format are covered by an NDA.

The pastebin link from here explains some stuff about xbox 360 authoring but not specifically about the format itself.

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Hmm wonder why its being asked as the posistion i have applied for is game testing/QA but thanks for the help

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
might be a matter of routine for the company to ask all potential staffers/team members looking to work in the development arm.  It might also be a check to see how aware you are of terms and phrases used in that development sector.
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
So last night I was totally ISOing up that XGD thing with that PNG attachment so I could GIF out its OBJ ifunowhatimean
"No"

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
They might be asking to see if you're familiar with the term.... which might be something the modding/ripping community would be more aware of.
As a tester, you get access to it, rip it... and impact the game negatively.

No way of knowing which way they are asking it really.
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Cheers guys, well i got all 20 of the tech questions answered and question 20 is your given a couple of paragraphs and you are to retype it sorting all grammar, spelling etc, then i have to write up a 1500 word evaluation of game of my choice. I have to say without a doubt in the whole of my working career this is one of the hardest application forms i have ever done in 13 years.

It sounds like a FUN application though.

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
What's a FUN file?

Congrats though. They seem to take testing very seriously
"No"

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Oh yeah it's fun but very hard, I am finding the spelling grammar one pretty hard because I am dsylexic, so that and the report are going to be fun to do.