Author Topic: [GUIDE] Installing Post-MediaVPs HTL Models!  (Read 21794 times)

Offline Crybertrance

• Conventional warheads only, no funny business
Re: [GUIDE] Installing Post-MediaVPs HTL Models!
Thanks for specifying that my Sathanas is NOT recommended. Makes it sound like some broken wreck.
:wtf:
wait, didn't I specify that it's not recommended for the Retail Campaign?

*checks*

:eek:
I will correct it at once! I'm really really really sorry Bobb...
pls don't hate me

E: Done... Didn't mean any offence bobbtmann! sorry! :banghead:
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 12:03:47 pm by Crybertrance »
<21:08:30>   Hartzaden fires a slammer at Cybertrance
<21:09:13>   Crybertrance pops flares, but wonders how Hartzaden acquired aspect lock on a stealth fighter... :\
<21:11:58>   *** The_E joined #bp [email protected]
21:11:58   +++ ChanServ has given op to The_E
<21:12:58>   Hartzaden continues to paint crybertrance and feeding the info to a wing of gunships
<21:14:07>   Crybertrance sends emergency "IM GETING MY ASS KICKED HERE!!!!eleventy NEED HELPZZZZ" to 3rd fleet command
<21:14:50>   Hartzaden jamms the transmission.
<21:14:51>   The_E explodes the sun

Thanks. Maybe you could just say that the turret placement and size make it easier to complete the missions, which may not give the mission the right feel? I think that was the main problem with it. The front beams are very big, not the little caps on the retail.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
I use bobb's and never encoutered a problem so far.
el hombre vicio...

Im so sorry for all kittens i killed!

Thank you, sir! This will save my day i think :D

Offline Crybertrance

I don't know about that exactly, since I never used bobbtmanns Sath, but I had initially planned to have bobbs model alongside Rga's. But before preparing the guide, I pm'd Zacam over the issue of a packaged VP vs. a guide... and among that discussion, the case of two HTL's (the Sathanas being the only example) of the same model but by different authors... This is what he had to say...

Quote from: Zacam via PM
2: As to the HTL Sathanas, we cannot release Bob's in the MediaVPs as it does not retain Retail compatibility for the placement of several of the turrets and subsystems, and is modeled in such a way that it cannot be made compatible.

And also, since this guide is more oriented towards the new, inexperienced user, I figured that it'd be safer to not get them confused...

However, I you all say so, I'll put up bobbs Sath as well!
<21:09:13>   Crybertrance pops flares, but wonders how Hartzaden acquired aspect lock on a stealth fighter... :\
<21:12:58>   Hartzaden continues to paint crybertrance and feeding the info to a wing of gunships
<21:14:07>   Crybertrance sends emergency "IM GETING MY ASS KICKED HERE!!!!eleventy NEED HELPZZZZ" to 3rd fleet command

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Bob's Sath may not cause an issue with retail... but it could because of the turret issues. But if it goes in the MediaVPs proper.. the question then becomes, how much is a model artist allowed to change for any model that goes in the MediaVPs? It's a slippery slope and we decided to stay on the safe side.

However, the model is good and there is no reason it shouldn't be included in the 'self-install' list.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Crybertrance

Bob's Sath may not cause an issue with retail... but it could because of the turret issues. But if it goes in the MediaVPs proper.. the question then becomes, how much is a model artist allowed to change for any model that goes in the MediaVPs? It's a slippery slope and we decided to stay on the safe side.

However, the model is good and there is no reason it shouldn't be included in the 'self-install' list.

Okay, Ill update the post tomorrow... ;)

Offline Luis Dias

You know what would be great? A Freespace 2 Open Installer! Then, we could make it download additional assets like, say, these models!

Gods the idea is awesome, wonder if anyone thought it already...

(ducks!)

Offline Crybertrance

You know what would be great? A Freespace 2 Open Installer! Then, we could make it download additional assets like, say, these models!

Gods the idea is awesome, wonder if anyone thought it already...

(ducks!)
I have one word to say to you...

Goober...

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Great work Crybertrance  :yes:
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!

I don't know about that exactly, since I never used bobbtmanns Sath, but I had initially planned to have bobbs model alongside Rga's. But before preparing the guide, I pm'd Zacam over the issue of a packaged VP vs. a guide... and among that discussion, the case of two HTL's (the Sathanas being the only example) of the same model but by different authors... This is what he had to say...

2: As to the HTL Sathanas, we cannot release Bob's in the MediaVPs as it does not retain Retail compatibility for the placement of several of the turrets and subsystems, and is modeled in such a way that it cannot be made compatible.

And also, since this guide is more oriented towards the new, inexperienced user, I figured that it'd be safer to not get them confused...

IIRC, there's an issue with multiplayer games if turrets (or subsystems etc) are different on the client and server (and I can't imagine there wouldn't be). A few MVP models already cause issues, and the only way around it is to have everyone playing with the MVPs or everyone playing without them.

Not sure if there are other issues that show up in SP as well, but I don't know of any FS2 missions built around the exact locations of Sath turrets. The Sath is prominent in A Monster In The Mist, Bearbaiting, and High Noon, all of which I think can work with minor changes in turret placement.

Offline Crybertrance

Hey, I've updated the guide to feature Bobbtmann's Sathanas as well. However, I'm not at my home computer. Can someone do me a favor and check if Bobbtmann's package needs any special "[INSTALLATION NOTES]"?  Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 07:01:49 am by Crybertrance »

Offline Arpit

Hey, I've updated the guide to feature Bobbtmann's Sathanas as well. However, I'm not at my home computer. Can someone do me a favor and check if Bobbtmann's package needs any special "[INSTALLATION NOTES]"?  Thanks!
I don't think it needs some installation notes. It is provided as an individual VP.

Offline Luis Dias

The whole installation (with Rga's Sathanas) is around 1.07GB.

Nice work

Offline FSW

Excellent guide, Crybertrance!
I'm building a collection of upgraded art assets (which I'll upload as a single package once I find a host). After seeing your list, it turned out that I'd missed a few!

Offline Crybertrance

Excellent guide, Crybertrance!
I'm building a collection of upgraded art assets (which I'll upload as a single package once I find a host). After seeing your list, it turned out that I'd missed a few!

Glad I could be of assistance! I could've uploaded the complete package as an addon vp, but, we have pathetic upload speeds here in Mumbai and the package is quite exceptionally large!  :(

Offline Kolgena

IIRC, there's an issue with multiplayer games if turrets (or subsystems etc) are different on the client and server (and I can't imagine there wouldn't be). A few MVP models already cause issues, and the only way around it is to have everyone playing with the MVPs or everyone playing without them.

Not sure if there are other issues that show up in SP as well, but I don't know of any FS2 missions built around the exact locations of Sath turrets. The Sath is prominent in A Monster In The Mist, Bearbaiting, and High Noon, all of which I think can work with minor changes in turret placement.

We apparently gave some leeway to the Deimos, as one of the pairs of the rear turrets is a few meters displaced in the MVP model compared to retail, but that seems fairly minor. If bobb's sath has some more significant changes (very displaced turrets, different turrets, etc), it could affect any other mod that uses the Sath, no only the retail campaign.

Also, in terms of balance, bearbaiting is substantially easier with either model, since the forward flak guns are no longer semi-invulnerable. In the retail model, the centers of the turrets weren't actually inside the hull, which meant that trebs (and any aspect missiles) detonated uselessly in front of the turrets. It used to be nigh impossible to kill those flak guns before you lost half/all your wingmen. I believe both Rga and bobb fixed this issue in their respective saths.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
And there has still been some debate on whether that's a bug we should be keeping or not.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
One would think [V] would have chosen another way to make the turrets invulnerable if that had been their objective.
I am a revolutionary.