Author Topic: SFg Geryon - WIP  (Read 11123 times)

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Now that my contest model is (mostly) done, I'm starting work on a Shivan frigate. The Geryon has more broadside firepower than the average Shivan warship; planned armament is two LReds in the big dorsal "stinger", four SReds on the spikes for broadsides, and two Shivan slash beams in ventral mounts. Opinions?

"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Just looking at the shape you have right now, I think it looks pretty good. Obviously there's a lot of work to be done on the geometry, but the shape is nice. The small arms that stick out help establish it as being very big. The big mouth on the front looks ominous.

Right now the only concern I have is with (what I assume is) the hangar bay at the bottom. Perhaps something that connects it with the rest of the ship? Maybe make it bigger, or longer so that it connects with the front.

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth

Dragon, that fighter's just there to help scale my fighterbay.

bobbtmann, I understand. I'll fiddle with the underside some more, and do something with the generic-looking fighterbay.
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I know that fighter is for scaling, but it's a neat design and I don't recognize it. It it released?
Also, for a fighterbay, please avoid the "big flat hole in the hull" design. I'd rather see some doors which could possibly lead to a hangar of some sorts.

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
I know that fighter is for scaling, but it's a neat design and I don't recognize it. It it released?
Also, for a fighterbay, please avoid the "big flat hole in the hull" design. I'd rather see some doors which could possibly lead to a hangar of some sorts.

That fighter is the GVB Ammit, my finished modeling contest entry: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=84916.0

How would I go about making animated fighterbay doors?

Update:
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 11:34:09 am by Lepanto »

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
All I see is a blob.
Did the model get corrupted?
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
While Trashman could have been more diplomatic, I think he might be sort of seeing the same thing I am - from some angles, it's quite difficult to see the structure of the ship. I think it all flows together a little too well, to the point where everything kind of becomes indistinct. It might be worth looking at both your smoothing and your geometry and trying to figure out precisely where each segment begins and ends, and then doing something about making that definition more obvious in the model.

TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
It's made of vaginas and tentacles  :eek2:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Luis Dias

and tongues. Lips.... (ok ok)

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
I see two pairs of woman legs with... Meh, as Dekker said. I think the whole geometry iss a bit odd, makes the whole model hard to read without anykind of textures.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
I'm fixing up the "mouth" area in response to criticism. But, I'd like to personally request that, if you're going to offer criticism, please keep it clean.  :) Thank you, though.

Is this any better?  :)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 11:33:45 am by Lepanto »

Offline DahBlount

• Alpine ☆ Cancer Tribulation
    • Minecraft
Now it looks like a Trap Jaw Ant that grew a scorpionish tail. It captures the Shivan ship-ology very well in my opinion.
<Axem> yet still more insightful than #hard-light

<Axem> jad2.23 will just be cat videos

<DahBlount> So
<DahBlount> JAD2.2 is like that
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> it can be whatever you like!
<DahBlount> A Chocolate Sundae?
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Add some more polys to arms to make them more smooth and organic like in modern HTL shivan ships. Current arms looks like from old, low-poly Nightmares models. It's always good to have some inspiration.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Add some more polys to arms to make them more smooth and organic like in modern HTL shivan ships. Current arms looks like from old, low-poly Nightmares models. It's always good to have some inspiration.

Okay. I'm already using modern Shivan HTLs as inspiration, but I've got a lot of work to do before my model's anywhere near that level of quality.

Update:

Started on the plating, and replaced the bad-looking arms with much higher-quality ones. I know the lighting's weird around the arms.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 11:33:32 am by Lepanto »

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
Your mesh is pretty messy round the arms you've added. Beware of the normals.
And stop putting a p3d link each time you made a change, the p3d link updates automatically so they're all the same. All we end up having is three times the same thing which makes the thread a bit too heavy for my bandwidth.

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Fiddled around with the look of the ship a bit, drastically revising the rear and slimming the bottom. What do you think?

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
The shape is starting to look quite good, keep going in that direction pal.
el hombre vicio...

Offline DahBlount

• Alpine ☆ Cancer Tribulation
    • Minecraft
Just a heads up but you have a missing face near the rear under the lip where the bottom protrusion meets the main hull, it's very hard to see but it's gone none the less. Other than that it's looking good.
<Axem> yet still more insightful than #hard-light

<Axem> jad2.23 will just be cat videos

<DahBlount> So
<DahBlount> JAD2.2 is like that
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> it can be whatever you like!
<DahBlount> A Chocolate Sundae?
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
#babyrakshasa :yes:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png