Author Topic: Possible Bug  (Read 3902 times)

Offline coffeesoft

• Bip Bip
Hi.

Yesterday i was working with FRED and i noticed a possible Bug, i don´t know if is the right place...
Is a bit difficult to me explain in a good english so i was making a video and a sample mission is available for test.

Here the explanation.

In a very simple mission, you have a Enemy Primary Objective, some Friendly ships and some enemies.
Inside FRED, i have a command to END the mission if the Primary Target is destroyed ( Success ), so if you die before
this ship is destroyed the mission must be Not Success ( and you are on the DIE screen, just waiting for start again or back to the MainHall )
The problem is that the game is still running on Background ( And the FRED Events as well ), so if you wait less than 1 minute, your friendly ships finalize the work and Kills the Primary Target, when this happens, the computer takes to you directly to the Sucess Screen don´t care if you are DIED so i think is not correct.

Also when i try to load the mission again, the Menu is still on the screen and i think there is the Bug.
I´m using the last fred2_open_3_6_18.exe and fs2_open_3_6_18.exe.

Here the sample mission to check ...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1cualzb05wl9xtn/Test_Bug.rar

Here the video.

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
I don't think that's really a bug, I think end-mission after player death is defined behavior. You need to add a check in your SEXP so that end-mission isn't evaluated if the player has died.

The rationale behind this, from a design perspective, would be to allow FREDders the most control over their mission: maybe they (for whatever reason) want to be able to end the mission on their terms, and get their debriefing, after player death. This wouldn't be possible if end-mission did its own check for player death. But regardless of how end-mission works, FREDders can always check and make sure not to call it after the player has died. So the behavior in your video allows FREDders the most creative freedom, and I wouldn't be surprised if it were by design.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I don't think that's really a bug, I think end-mission after player death is defined behavior. You need to add a check in your SEXP so that end-mission isn't evaluated if the player has died.

Wait what? Of course it's a bug, the "player has died" menu is only supposed to show up when the player has died, not during normal gameplay.

coffeesoft, can you try this on a 3.7.0 or recent nightly build?
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline coffeesoft

• Bip Bip
With the 3.7.0, has the same behavior and is also worse, because the second time when i load the mission from the MainHall ( When died ), the Input ( Joystick and Mouse at least ) are disable, i must to restart again from the menu to use the Joystick and mouse again.

I must learn how to use Mantis to report bugs  ;),  but i want to be sure first that is a bug or not ...

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something

Wait what? Of course it's a bug, the "player has died" menu is only supposed to show up when the player has died, not during normal gameplay.
If you check the video, the player is dying in this case.  Coffeesoft's issue is that the mission continues to run while the player keeps the death menu open, so because of how he set things up, the mission can be successfully completed even while the player is dead.

Coffeesoft, I agree with Shivan Hunter that this is probably intended behavior, or at the very least expected behavior, since it does give the chance for FREDders to get creative with player deaths.  (Axem has to have used this somewhere. :p) As he said, you can solve this by making sure that Alpha 1 is still alive before calling the end-mission SEXP.  The input issue you mentioned with 3.7.0 sounds like an actual bug though, so that'd be a good thing to put on Mantis. :)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Well, I have checked the video, and what I see at 1:55 is definitely a bug. Note how player health is above zero, the normal HUD is shown, AND the "player has died" overlay is active. That is very definitely a bug.

(That the mission and event evaluation goes on while the player has died is a separate issue, I would however hold that that is a bug in the end-mission sexp, not with the general fact that event evaluation is happening)
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline coffeesoft

• Bip Bip
I don´t know at this level the engine and is the reason that i don´t know if is a bug or not.
The control of all the possibilities is logical, but if you die and the mission is sucess, who will play the next mission ?

And talking about the menu on the screen and the disable controls, for sure is not beauty  :)

Then it is in the hands of professionals...   :p

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
but if you die and the mission is sucess, who will play the next mission ?

Well, it opens up some possibilities for weird missions (hallucinations or something like a Ken mission), or campaigns that don't have to make sense (As Mongoose said, I could see Axem using this).

Although I didn't watch until 1:55. The menu still being up after loading the mission again is certainly a bug. Just curious, does that behavior change without the "no briefing" flag?

Offline coffeesoft

• Bip Bip
Strange...., i was testing changing the "no briefing" flag and now the problem of the Joystick and mouse Input disable still remain with both, fred2_open_3_6_18 and fs2_open_3_7_0.

On the first test the input issue was only on the  fs2_open_3_7_0 and now is on both don´t care about if "no briefing" flag is active or not  :confused:

And talking about the FRED issue, i understood that give us all the possibilities.

****! I thought I mantised that ages ago. Great job, X3N0 you goldfish derphead. Death screen doesn't get reset at the start of a new mission. Yeah this is definitely a bug that's been there for a while,I noticed it during the 3.6.14 RCs, posted about it on IRC the apparently wandered off never to think about it again without mantising it for some reason.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
One use for the ability to succeed if the player dies: you could live through the final moments of your predecessor; perhaps explain it as you playing through his final moments captured on the ship's black box so that others could learn (say, early contact and then suicidal defense mission with advanced hostile aliens using overwhelming force?).

;)

Offline coffeesoft

• Bip Bip
I remember the old X-Wing Series when the pilot is recovered or captured after a ejection, that could also happen :D