Author Topic: RELEASE: FreeSpace Open Installer, v2.3.5  (Read 377702 times)

Offline Objekt

Re: RELEASE: FreeSpace Open Installer, v2.1.10
Just today I downloaded and ran the Open Installer, after doing a fresh install of FS2.

Everything went fine except that two campaigns failed to install:

Ross 128
Deus Ex Machina: Interlude

Is this a known issue?   Haven't found anyone else saying they had this problem, at least  not yet.

Is there a fix?

I attached a screenshot of the failure I encountered with DEM:I.  It's the same thing with Ross 128.  Everything else appears to have installed properly.

[attachment kidnapped by pirates]

I downloaded the installer and ran it.  Partway through downloading the mods the installer closed with no message.  I'm running Windows 8.1 and Java 1.8.0_25-b18. 

Offline Objekt

Not knowing what else to do, I tried reinstalling everything.

This time I updated Freespace 2 to version 1.2 before running the Open Installer.

For some reason, this time the two campaigns that were previously missing (Ross 128 and Deus Ex Machina: Interlude) did download and install successfully.

For launching, I  used wxlauncher since apparently this is what you should use in Windows 8.1

I still can't get anywhere.  I get the infamous "Web cursor bitmap not found" error.  None of the three reasons given for this error apply in my case.

So I simply can't play the game.

??!?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 09:39:36 am by Objekt »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I downloaded the installer and ran it.  Partway through downloading the mods the installer closed with no message.  I'm running Windows 8.1 and Java 1.8.0_25-b18.

Can you zip up and attach the logs folder that is generated in the location where you run the installer?

For some reason, this time the two campaigns that were previously missing (Ross 128 and Deus Ex Machina: Interlude) did download and install successfully.

Those two campaigns are hosted on the same download server, so it is likely that the server was offline for a short time and then came back up.

I get the infamous "Web cursor bitmap not found" error.  None of the three reasons given for this error apply in my case.

That's being handled here, so let's keep the discussion there.

Offline snake60

Don't forget to ask if you need additionnal translations  ;-)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions

Hmm?  Are you offering to translate? :)

Offline snake60

You forgot the previous times ? Next time I will has more cookies ! Baaad Goober, baaaad ^^

Offline BirdofPrey

• Help! I see GIMP in my sleep
If I might ask a question before I bug it:

How does the installer handle upgrades?
I ran it to try and get stuff up to date, and it gave me the 2014 vps, but I had Freespace port 3.3, and I wasn't sure if someone forgot to update the download link, or if the installer just didn't care too much for old files.
note:  I can't remember when I last ran a install, though I could have swore it was sometime this year.
The Great War ended 30 years ago.
Our elders tell stories of a glorious civilization; of people with myths of humanity everlasting, who hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear.

In testing: Radar Icons

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions

You forgot the previous times ? Next time I will has more cookies ! Baaad Goober, baaaad ^^

Oh.  Yes, I forgot -- your translation went very smoothly.  I usually remember the translators that have difficulty. :D

If I might ask a question before I bug it:

How does the installer handle upgrades?
I ran it to try and get stuff up to date, and it gave me the 2014 vps, but I had Freespace port 3.3, and I wasn't sure if someone forgot to update the download link, or if the installer just didn't care too much for old files.
note:  I can't remember when I last ran a install, though I could have swore it was sometime this year.

Well, the current installer configuration includes 3.4.  If you run the installer again and then post the logs, I can take a look to see what happened.

Offline pim

Hi Goober.
 After installing ASW were some items placed into parent dir instead of (existing) mod dir. Attaching example log.
 Where is stored list of finished downloads? After deleting those files it still claims that installation is finished and I cannot make it to redownload the mod for doublecheck.
 Cheers

[attachment kidnapped by pirates]

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Hi Goober.
 After installing ASW were some items placed into parent dir instead of (existing) mod dir. Attaching example log.
 Where is stored list of finished downloads? After deleting those files it still claims that installation is finished and I cannot make it to redownload the mod for doublecheck.
 Cheers

This is due to an incorrect mod configuration file, as discovered here.  I've removed the mods from the list until it's fixed.  In the meantime, you can move those VP files into a mod directory of your choosing.

The list of finished downloads is stored in a file called fsoinstaller.properties, located in your user directory (such as C:\Users\<username>).

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
In the meantime, you can move those VP files into a mod directory of your choosing.
For what it's worth, installing manually results in a folder named /ASW1/.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline pim

This is due to an incorrect mod configuration file, as discovered here.
Oh, haven't noticed the other thread. Thanks for explaining, Goober. I'll download it manually this time.

The list of finished downloads is stored in a file called fsoinstaller.properties, located in your user directory (such as C:\Users\<username>).
OK. Found it. BTW under Linux systems config files or directories usually have "." (dot) at the beginning to keep the home dir neatly clean. Dot at the beginning means hidden file.

You probably already know that but Linux recognises UPPER and lower case in filenames. Some configuration files probably don't keep consistent naming rule amongst it's files so eg MediaVPS 3.6.12 content is split into two dirs:
MediaVPS_3612
mediavps_3612

It's not problem at all because it seems to be loaded correctly anyway:-)
Your app saves big deal of time. Thanks for it.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
BTW under Linux systems config files or directories usually have "." (dot) at the beginning to keep the home dir neatly clean. Dot at the beginning means hidden file.
Yep, I'm aware of that.  But the Installer is used under Windows systems too, and I wanted the system to recognize the .properties file extension.  Certain text editors will apply special formatting, for example.

You probably already know that but Linux recognises UPPER and lower case in filenames. Some configuration files probably don't keep consistent naming rule amongst it's files so eg MediaVPS 3.6.12 content is split into two dirs:
MediaVPS_3612
mediavps_3612

Yeah, this was something I had to pay close attention to during development.  The installer had to be case-agnostic and recognize both / and \ for path separators.  Glad to hear that FSO handles it too... that's probably the work of Taylor.

As for why two different folders are created, that is a very interesting scenario.  I believe it's caused by multiple zip files being specified as part of the MediaVPs_3612 mod, where different zip files contain different file cases.  When all the files are unzipped, all the different folder cases are created.  I have existing functionality to match file cases of the mod folders; I'll see if I can use it as part of zip extraction.

Your app saves big deal of time. Thanks for it.
You're welcome!

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Windows should still recognize ".fsoinstaller.properties" as having the .properties extension.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
BTW under Linux systems config files or directories usually have "." (dot) at the beginning to keep the home dir neatly clean. Dot at the beginning means hidden file.
Yep, I'm aware of that.  But the Installer is used under Windows systems too, and I wanted the system to recognize the .properties file extension.  Certain text editors will apply special formatting, for example.

MediaVPS_3612
mediavps_3612

Yeah, this was something I had to pay close attention to during development.  The installer had to be case-agnostic and recognize both / and \ for path separators.  Glad to hear that FSO handles it too... that's probably the work of Taylor.
It doesn't, actually. We've had people recently have problems with the 2014 MediaVPs on case-sensitive file systems as a result, and nobody has changed the relevant code since then, so it's presumably still a problem.

Pim, you should double-check which files are in which folder, because one of those folders isn't getting loaded.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Antares

• Author of The Shivan Manifesto
Any word on retail CD support? I know that I'm living in the past what with my "physical media" and all, but it'd save me the trouble of doing a Wine install, among other things.

(I actually managed to get things running in Linux Mint, but gameplay is choppy, probably due to the age of my system. This is mostly for later, after I get a new one.)
We have returned to continue our purification of this galaxy. It is again your turn to be crushed beneath the great force that is the Antaran army. All your petty squabbling with the other beings in this galaxy is meaningless. The Antaran fleet will destroy you all, one by one. You may not surrender. You cannot win. Your only option is death.

Wouldn't be easier to just pay the $5 and get the GOG version? Would it not be better to have these talented people spend their time making things better?

Just a thought

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Any word on retail CD support? I know that I'm living in the past what with my "physical media" and all, but it'd save me the trouble of doing a Wine install, among other things.

(I actually managed to get things running in Linux Mint, but gameplay is choppy, probably due to the age of my system. This is mostly for later, after I get a new one.)

That is on my to-do list but I don't know when I'll be able to get to it.  Working on other FS projects currently.  I would recommend going the GOG route if you can.

Offline pim

Pim, you should double-check which files are in which folder, because one of those folders isn't getting loaded.

Here is content of each dir:
Code: [Select]
[nabuko@nabuko MediaVPS_3612]$ ls -lh
celkem 144M
-rw-r--r-- 1 nabuko users 143M 24. pro  2010 MV_Assets.3612.vp
-rw-r--r-- 1 nabuko users 183K 24. pro  2010 MV_Effects.3612.vp
-rw-r--r-- 1 nabuko users 659K 24. pro  2010 MV_Root.3612.vp
[nabuko@nabuko mediavps_3612]$  ls -lh
celkem 1,9G
-rw-r--r-- 1 nabuko users  85K  5. srp  2010 FSU-MVP.bmp
-rw-r--r-- 1 nabuko users  265  5. srp  2010 mod.ini
-rw-r--r-- 1 nabuko users 529M  5. srp  2010 MV_Advanced.vp
-rw-r--r-- 1 nabuko users 227M  5. srp  2010 MV_AnimGlows.vp
-rw-r--r-- 1 nabuko users 580M  6. srp  2010 MV_Assets.vp
-rw-r--r-- 1 nabuko users 413M  5. srp  2010 MV_Effects.vp
-rw-r--r-- 1 nabuko users  77M  5. srp  2010 MV_Music.vp
-rw-r--r-- 1 nabuko users  33K  6. srp  2010 MV_RadarIcons.vp
-rw-r--r-- 1 nabuko users  28M  6. srp  2010 MV_Root.vp
-rw-r--r-- 1 nabuko users  12K  4. srp  2010 readme.txt

You're right. Loaded content depend on passed cmd line.
./fs2_open_3.7.2_RC2_DEBUG -mod mediavps_3612Loads only mediavps_3612 but surprisingly no troubles encountered on test run.

./fs2_open_3.7.2_RC2_DEBUG -mod MediaVPS_3612Loads only MediaVPS_3612 and scores of errors.

./fs2_open_3.7.2_RC2_DEBUG -mod mediavps_3612,MediaVPS_3612Loads all.