Author Topic: RELEASE: FreeSpace Open Installer, v2.3.5  (Read 377683 times)

Re: RELEASE: FreeSpace Open Installer, v2.1.10
YES! It works! thank you so much. I did not think about searching for this file - I thought its just java specific class or something.
THANKS!

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
I'm glad I could help.  :)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
He said he "reinstalled Freespace 2 (from GOG)" so I'd guess that no mods are left in the FS2 folder. Since the installer can't check if the information in the fsoinstaller.properties is correct, he would have to delete it.
If he didn't reinstall FS2, the installer should work just like Goober said.

Ah, gotcha.

Offline est1895

So is the install ready for use?  Does it install the scpIrTracker too? Everything needed?  If so, Bravo Goober and everyone else that helped.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
So is the install ready for use?  Does it install the scpIrTracker too? Everything needed?  If so, Bravo Goober and everyone else that helped.

The installer should be ready for general use, yes.  And SCP TrackIR is included in the SCP builds for Windows.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Small bump to say that I've added wxLauncher to the list of available installations.  I would have preferred that the wxLauncher people create their own text file according to their own specifications, but I thought it was more important to make the launcher available rather than wait until whenever they get around to it.

Also, work is currently in the pipeline to make an EXE version of the Installer available for people who can't or don't want to run the JAR version.

Offline Luis Dias

Also, work is currently in the pipeline to make an EXE version of the Installer available for people who can't or don't want to run the JAR version.

:yes: Awesome :yes:

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
IIRC, the Java to EXE solution used before resulted in a rather large .exe file.   If this happens again, is there any way of making a compacted .exe?  Or maybe checking for another solution when converting the java file over.  Dunno, I just remember it was like 17 MegaBytes for the .exe vs like 70 KiloBytes for the java version

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
It's because it essentially uses a built-in Java interpreter.  You can't 'compile' the Java program really, that I know of.  The only solution is to use third party software like Jet or whatever to bundle a (possibly optimized) interpreter with the Java code basically.  It's a cross-platform interpreted language, what else do you want?  :P
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline m!m

If size is a problem you could use the JRE that might already be present on the computer but still use an EXE to start the application.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
There was an application that did that (converted to a .exe that pointed to existing JRE installation).  IIRC it also would point to Oracle to download Java if it did not exist.  I was more wondering if the actual interpreter .exe was already compressed as I know that can make a difference.  17 MB x thousands adds up, and it seems almost everyone went with the .exe when it was available.

Not sure if this has been reported yet, but it does look a little odd...

[attachment kidnapped by pirates]

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Yeah, I noticed that myself.  It's a bug in the reported progress, but fortunately not in the actual extraction.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
I just used this to do a fresh install of everything BP, worked without a hitch. Thanks for saving me from dependency hell :)

The whole installer is easy and intuitive to use, as such a tool should be :yes:
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Great to hear. :)

hi.
the instaler is wery nice, here are some minor problems / tips for future versions:

1. i use archlinux64 and i think some fs2_open builds from the installer dont work. i mixed them with my compiled builds so i dont know if all are bad or just some of them, i see fs2 open exited with a status of 127 in wx launcher.
2. i dont know how to remove mod, if i delete it from hdd, the installer download it again, cause its still checked in the list. (and i canot uncheck). i searched my home folder for config file, but i dont found it.
3. mods blue planet 1 and 2 generate warnings when i launch them from wx launcher, and there is models and textures missing in game.

thx for great program and sorry for my bad english;)

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
The config file should be in the root of your home dir;

Code: [Select]
$ ls ~/fsoinstaller.properties
~/fsoinstaller.properties

You might just be able to delete the relevant mod line from the file in order to make the installer "forget" about that mod.

Also, the prebuilt binaries the installer uses are from ubuntu 12.04 32bit, so you may need a lot of work to get then running on a different distro.  Until we can sort out a statically linked binary you're probably better off to continue using your own compiled builds.

And lastly, to help us resolve the blueplanet warnings please post your fs2_open.log file.  Instructions on how to do this can be found in this post..  (I suspect that there may be a directory case issue here)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

hi
thx for answers, i found the config file (i was blind and i expected dot at the begining;)

i compiled 3.7.2 rc3 debug build, u can see the log file from blue planet 1 here:

http://130.193.10.171/odpad/fs2_open.log.txt     (i renamed it to txt)
i see the warnings, but i dont understand them.

my freespace folder is here:
http://130.193.10.171/odpad/ls.txt

Edit mod.ini in blueplanet and change mediavps_2014 to MediaVPs_2014.

editing mod.ini solved that problem;)

thaks for help.