Author Topic: RELEASE: FreeSpace Open Installer, v2.3.5  (Read 377686 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: RELEASE: FreeSpace Open Installer, v2.1.10
I've uploaded version 2.1.10 with the following changes:

• Rewrite invocation of external programs to work smoothly on both Windows and Linux
  • Several changes, including using chmod, to fix innoextract operation on Linux
  • Work around innoextract bug for extracting into paths with spaces
  • Use 7zip for downloading all archives, including zip
  • Fix regression bug with extraction of .tar.gz files

Since I did I full FSO install a few weeks ago, and looked at a few mod.ini files, a number of them field still say mediavps_3612 instead of MediaVPs_2014 in their secondarylist field. Among them: Derelict, FS Port MediaVPs, Awakenings, BtA Demo, Cardinal Spear, Deus Ex Machina 1.5 (just says mediavps), Destiny of Peace, Silent Threat Reborn, Just Another Day, and Just Another Day 2.2. I fixed all of them for myself, but wanted to bring this to your attention, on the assumption it hasn't been already.

Offline DahBlount

• Alpine ☆ Cancer Tribulation
    • Minecraft
Since I did I full FSO install a few weeks ago, and looked at a few mod.ini files, a number of them field still say mediavps_3612 instead of MediaVPs_2014 in their secondarylist field. Among them: Derelict, FS Port MediaVPs, Awakenings, BtA Demo, Cardinal Spear, Deus Ex Machina 1.5 (just says mediavps), Destiny of Peace, Silent Threat Reborn, Just Another Day, and Just Another Day 2.2. I fixed all of them for myself, but wanted to bring this to your attention, on the assumption it hasn't been already.

That is because most of the mods listed have not been fully, if at all, tested with the MVPs 2014. In that regard, there typically aren't any problems with editing the mod.ini yourself. Just keep in mind that this is intentional at the moment.
<Axem> yet still more insightful than #hard-light

<Axem> jad2.23 will just be cat videos

<DahBlount> So
<DahBlount> JAD2.2 is like that
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> it can be whatever you like!
<DahBlount> A Chocolate Sundae?
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus

Offline Parias

Indeed. FSPort for example has some outright problems with the 2014 Media VPs at the moment, doesn't it?

Somehow it didn't occur to me that the 2014 MediaVPs might cause issues with older mods. Is there a list somewhere of which mods in the FSO Installer package can be used without MediaVPs, since the installer no longer distributes the 3.6.12 versions?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Er - the installer still lists the 3.6.12 mediavps, just under the 2014 ones (tested this just now to confirm).
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Don't have time to check right now, but maybe Complete doesn't install them then?
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Good point, I only checked the "custom install" option.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

I did a Complete install, or I thought I did. I just know I didn't get the 3.6.12 MediaVPs.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
"Complete" installs everything, including both the 2014 and 3.6.12 mediaVPs.  It's possible that there was a problem with the download mirror though.  Try running it again.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Doesn't the installer have dependencies too? The older mods' installer files should be updated to make that clearer.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Doesn't the installer have dependencies too?

What do you mean?  The installer only depends on Java 1.5 or later.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Doesn't the installer have dependencies too?

What do you mean?  The installer only depends on Java 1.5 or later.
I think he was referring to the "DEPENDENCIES" tag; that the old mods should list the 3.6.12 MediaVPs as a dependency, and so shouldn't be possible to install without them.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Aha.  Yes, that would be good to do.

Hello Goober5000,
Thank you for the great installer! It made me come back to FS2 once more:) However I have a small problem:
I have aborted an ongoing installation (full install) and after resuming it the installer has some modules selected and greyed out.
What I did:
- reinstalled Freespace 2 (from GOG)
- deleted the installer log directory
- monitored the installer with process monitor to find out what it does and how it gets the info what modules are installed
- deleted everything in my Temp
- etc:)

I still have the same issue. In installer log (attached) it still says:

2014-09-25 10:26:24,439 [AWT-EventQueue-0] DEBUG com.fsoinstaller.wizard.ModSelectPage - Force-selecting 'FreeSpace Open 3.7.2 RC4 Windows Standard' as already installed based on version
2014-09-25 10:26:24,439 [AWT-EventQueue-0] DEBUG com.fsoinstaller.wizard.ModSelectPage - Force-selecting 'FreeSpace Open 3.7.0 Windows SSE2' as already installed based on version
2014-09-25 10:26:24,439 [AWT-EventQueue-0] DEBUG com.fsoinstaller.wizard.ModSelectPage - Force-selecting 'Multiplayer Missions' as already installed based on version
2014-09-25 10:26:24,439 [AWT-EventQueue-0] DEBUG com.fsoinstaller.wizard.ModSelectPage - Force-selecting '2014 FSU MediaVPs' as already installed based on version
2014-09-25 10:26:24,439 [AWT-EventQueue-0] DEBUG com.fsoinstaller.wizard.ModSelectPage - Force-selecting '2014 FSU MediaVPs.MV_Assets' as already installed based on version
2014-09-25 10:26:24,439 [AWT-EventQueue-0] DEBUG com.fsoinstaller.wizard.ModSelectPage - Force-selecting '2014 FSU MediaVPs.MV_Effects' as already installed based on version
2014-09-25 10:26:24,439 [AWT-EventQueue-0] DEBUG com.fsoinstaller.wizard.ModSelectPage - Force-selecting '2014 FSU MediaVPs.MV_A-Glows' as already installed based on version
2014-09-25 10:26:24,439 [AWT-EventQueue-0] DEBUG com.fsoinstaller.wizard.ModSelectPage - Force-selecting '2014 FSU MediaVPs.MV_CB_ANI_2' as already installed based on version
2014-09-25 10:26:24,439 [AWT-EventQueue-0] DEBUG com.fsoinstaller.wizard.ModSelectPage - Force-selecting 'FSU MediaVPs, version 3.6.12' as already installed based on version
2014-09-25 10:26:24,439 [AWT-EventQueue-0] DEBUG com.fsoinstaller.wizard.ModSelectPage - Force-selecting 'Between the Ashes: Mefistofele' as already installed based on version

[attachment kidnapped by pirates]

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Did you delete the "fsoinstaller.properties" file (it should be right next to the .jar file)? That should do the trick.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Thank you for the great installer! It made me come back to FS2 once more:) However I have a small problem:
I have aborted an ongoing installation (full install) and after resuming it the installer has some modules selected and greyed out.

This isn't a problem, it just means those modules were already installed.  If you aborted an installation when some modules were installed and some were not, the installed ones will be selected and grayed out.  The modules that have not yet been installed will not be selected.

As ngld says, deleting the fsoinstaller.properties file will remove this installation information, but that should usually not be necessary.

In order to understand your thought process, what did you expect would happen?  Why did you think this was a problem?

(And just to cover all the bases and make sure there isn't an unexpected bug, do you see the installed mods in your FS2 folder?  The 3.7.2 RC4 EXE, the 2014 mediaVPs, and so forth?)

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
He said he "reinstalled Freespace 2 (from GOG)" so I'd guess that no mods are left in the FS2 folder. Since the installer can't check if the information in the fsoinstaller.properties is correct, he would have to delete it.
If he didn't reinstall FS2, the installer should work just like Goober said.

I have downloaded only one JAR file - the installer. My expectations:
- I run the installer and select only MVPs to install and launcher (since at first I only want to have improved graphics and no additional content)
- I finish Freespace 2 and then add mods:)

Yes, I have reinstalled the game = deleted the entire folder. More! - I have then installed the game in different folder and moved the installer JAR file to different one. I run the installer from newly formated USB stick and STILL I have info that some modules are installed (I can not deselect them) How installer knows it??? The old folder is gone and LOG file is gone,the system TEMP directory is clear but STILL installer says "I found some MVPs and other mods"
There must be a file or registry entry where information from my previous unfinished install is stored.

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
The file you're talking about is called "fsoinstaller.properties". It should be in C:\Users\<your windows username>. Once you have deleted it, your problem should be solved.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 09:59:25 am by ngld »