Author Topic: RELEASE: FreeSpace Open Installer, v2.3.5  (Read 377695 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: RELEASE: FreeSpace Open Installer, v2.1.8
what's so weird about not automatically having the current working directory in the PATH? :p
It doesn't need to be in the PATH variable, but when you navigate your shell right up next to the program you want to run and tell it to run it, it still can't find it.  You have to shove its face in it, saying THIS HERE is the program I want to run. :p

(And IIRC its not so much a Linux thing as a shell thing, all the way back to the original Unix systems)
Do you happen to know why?

I think we're getting closer.  Now I think it might be running into OSX's protections against programs downloaded from the internet.  From the log file:
2014-08-07 06:16:32,144 [pool-1-thread-1] ERROR com.fsoinstaller.wizard.InnoExtractTask - stderr: /bin/sh: /Applications/FreeSpace2/fcf7658203b64e63beb5e0f6776f50a7/innoextract-1.4-osx: Permission denied
2014-08-07 06:16:32,144 [pool-1-thread-1] ERROR com.fsoinstaller.wizard.InnoExtractTask - Could not obtain file listing using innoextract!
java.io.IOException: InnoExtract reported exit code 126

I've attached the logs again.  As a side note, I set Allow Apps Downloaded from Anywhere (Gatekeeper, if you're familiar with OS X) so I don't think that's it.

Well first of all, the fsoinstaller.log in the logs.zip that you attached doesn't go back to 06:16.  It starts at 06:20.

But more pertinently, if your guess is true (and it sounds reasonable enough to be so) then we may be out of luck.  I ran into a similar problem launching the OpenAL installer on Windows 7, but by changing the program to launch from the shell, it causes Windows to automatically issue a User Account Control prompt for elevated privileges.  However innoextract shouldn't need elevated privileges (and in any case you're running OSX).

Try launching the Installer as an administrator, and then just running the GOG extract task, not any of the mod tasks.  Just open up an administrator terminal and type java -jar FreeSpaceOpenInstaller.jar.

Actually, I may even be overthinking this.  Is that innoextract file a script or an executable?  Is /bin/sh able to launch executables?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
what's so weird about not automatically having the current working directory in the PATH? :p
It doesn't need to be in the PATH variable, but when you navigate your shell right up next to the program you want to run and tell it to run it, it still can't find it.  You have to shove its face in it, saying THIS HERE is the program I want to run. :p
Yeah it does - if you do this (export PATH=$PATH:.) then your shell will run stuff in your current working directory without needing a preceding ./  :D

(And IIRC its not so much a Linux thing as a shell thing, all the way back to the original Unix systems)
Do you happen to know why?

I believe Its a security thing, old school Unix machines were always multiuser and there is a whole history of stories about getting root via putting a dodgy program (like your own ls) in your home dir and then tricking a sysadmin with the current dir at the start of their PATH to run your dodgy program (which does something nefarious like "create a new shell owned by root with the set-root-id bit set").
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

I decided to do a complete reinstall yesterday because I had so many different mediaVP, mods etc. and I figured it would be easier than trying to sort it out.

Unfortunately, it appears that a number of the mirrors with the automated installer seem to be down/non-existant files for a good number of the mods and both 3612 and 2014 mediaVPs.  Automated installer worked for a friend about a week ago so it's recent.   Going to do a manual installation because I need my fix, but I just thought I should post to let this be known.  Also if anyone else is trying to use the automated installer, this might be useful for them to know.

Thanks for the work on this!

Well first of all, the fsoinstaller.log in the logs.zip that you attached doesn't go back to 06:16.  It starts at 06:20.

But more pertinently, if your guess is true (and it sounds reasonable enough to be so) then we may be out of luck.  I ran into a similar problem launching the OpenAL installer on Windows 7, but by changing the program to launch from the shell, it causes Windows to automatically issue a User Account Control prompt for elevated privileges.  However innoextract shouldn't need elevated privileges (and in any case you're running OSX).

Try launching the Installer as an administrator, and then just running the GOG extract task, not any of the mod tasks.  Just open up an administrator terminal and type java -jar FreeSpaceOpenInstaller.jar.

Actually, I may even be overthinking this.  Is that innoextract file a script or an executable?  Is /bin/sh able to launch executables?

- The timestamp is different because I reran the installer to get you a clean log. 
- I'm logged on as an admin
- I'll try running command line, but I've gotta figure out how to execute a jar file via command line first.  Via the GUI you just click on it, but command line it doesn't recognize that java is installed.  I'll figure it out...

- The timestamp is different because I reran the installer to get you a clean log. 
- I'm logged on as an admin
- I'll try running command line, but I've gotta figure out how to execute a jar file via command line first.  Via the GUI you just click on it, but command line it doesn't recognize that java is installed.  I'll figure it out...

I ran into the same issue on my system and that was because Java's binary folder was not added to the system path when installed.  First you need to locate the java binary (mine is in C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin) java.exe wherever it is installed. 

Two ways to fix that (using my installed location as an example):
In the command prompt type
Code: [Select]
set path=%PATH%;C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\binThen you should be able to type java FreeSpaceOpenInstaller.jar  with command line arguments.

The above fix will only be active for that command prompt session, if you want to add it permanently to your path you need to go to Control Panel -> System -> Advanced System Settings.  On The system properties screen that comes up, under the advanced tab there is an enviroment variables button that you can click on and then under System Variables there is a Path section you can edit.  Don't change or remove anything that is there, just add the directory C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin at the end with a semi-colon in front of it.   Only do this is you are sure and comfortable.  Otherwise the temporary path setting for that command prompt session above works just fine.

I caved and did the manual "Install FS2 on Windows, then copy the files over to OS X" route, then ran the installer.  Everything seems to be in place, but how do I actually run the game in OS X??  Using the fully manual approach, I've always used the wxlauncher before.  Does the installer do away with the launcher, or do I need to download and use it?

Thanks much.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
While its strictly speaking not necessary (since you can hand create/edit the relevant files) its still a good idea to install & use wxLauncher.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
That would have been fine if the clean log had contained the same error, but it didn't.  The line containing the stderr output did not appear in the log file you uploaded.

Also, in order to help diagnose the problem, could you answer the two questions I posed in my earlier post?

1) Is the innoextract file (innoextract-1.4-osx) recognized as a script by OSX?  Or is it recognized as an executable?  Or neither?
2) Is /bin/sh capable of launching executable programs?

That would have been fine if the clean log had contained the same error, but it didn't.  The line containing the stderr output did not appear in the log file you uploaded.

Also, in order to help diagnose the problem, could you answer the two questions I posed in my earlier post?

1) Is the innoextract file (innoextract-1.4-osx) recognized as a script by OSX?  Or is it recognized as an executable?  Or neither?
2) Is /bin/sh capable of launching executable programs?

Not sure why the error was different.  I'm getting the same Permission Denied error again.  (See attached logs)

1) No idea.  How can I check?  I can double click it and it runs it in the terminal, and I can execute it command line if I include the full path to it.  That's all I know.
2) No idea

Sorry--I wish I could be more helpful, but I'm not much of a programmer.  More of a tinkerer.

I did run the installer via command line (had to install the JDK first; afterward it worked fine) per your suggestion.  It didn't seem to behave any differently.  That is the log that I've attached.

[attachment kidnapped by pirates]

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Since Mac OS is Unix-based the answers should be:
1) No. It's an executable.
2) /bin/sh can only launch shell scripts.

You should execute the following commands:
chmod a+x /Applications/FreeSpace2/fcf7658203b64e63beb5e0f6776f50a7/innoextract-1.4-osx
/Applications/FreeSpace2/fcf7658203b64e63beb5e0f6776f50a7/innoextract-1.4-osx

The first command makes sure that the file is executable and the second command actually launches innoextract.

FYI the following files did not download as their mirrors appear to be down:

Multiplayer Missions: The file 'multi-mission-pack.zip' could not be downloaded.
.OGG Cutscenes: The file 'fs2_ogg.zip' could not be downloaded.
Sync: The file 'Sync.rar' could not be downloaded.
Homesick: The file 'homesick.zip' could not be downloaded.
Blackwater Operations Demo: The file 'bwo_demo.zip' could not be downloaded.
Derelict: The file 'derelict_core.zip' could not be downloaded.
Inferno: The file 'inf1.zip' could not be downloaded.
The Procyon Insurgency: The file 'pi103.zip' could not be downloaded.
Shivans: The file 'brshivans.zip' could not be downloaded.
Shrouding the Light: The file 'stl.zip' could not be downloaded.
Twilight: The file 'twilight.zip' could not be downloaded.
Warzone: The file 'warzone.zip' could not be downloaded.
FSU MediaVPs, version 3.6.12: The file 'MediaVPs_3612.zip' could not be downloaded.
FSU MediaVPs, version 3.6.12: The file 'MV_Root_Update.zip' could not be downloaded.
FSU MediaVPs, version 3.6.12: The file 'MV_Root_3612.zip' could not be downloaded.
2014 FSU MediaVPs: The file 'MV_Root.7z' could not be downloaded.
FreeSpace Open 3.7.0 Linux: The file 'fs2_open_3.7.0.tar.bz2' could not be downloaded.
FreeSpace Open 3.7.2 RC3 Linux: The file 'fs2_open_3.7.2_RC3.tar.bz2' could not be downloaded.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
* jr2 wishes for a way to make the Installer use http://gameupdates.org as a  mirror.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class

(snip)

I had some similar problems when testing just now. Interestingly some files seem to download OK when using wget, they just don't work in the installer.

http://swc.fs2downloads.com/builds/LINUX/fs2_open_3.7.2_RC3.tar.bz2
http://swc.fs2downloads.com/builds/LINUX/fs2_open_3.7.0.tar.bz2
http://mvp.fsmods.net/2014/MV_Root.7z
http://mvp.fsmods.net/3612/MV_Root_3612.zip
http://www.freespacemods.net/files/installer_files/multi/multi-mission-pack.zip

I've attached fresh logs from my test.

[attachment kidnapped by pirates]
----
----

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
I've set up a pretty simple mirror monitor.

Mods with a cross in front of their name can't be installed because all mirrors for one or more files are offline.
If you click on a mod's title it will show you which files are offline. The page is updated every hour.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Hey - that's really cool & useful!  :yes:
----
----

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Maybe put a link to that in the Installer?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Sorry--I wish I could be more helpful, but I'm not much of a programmer.  More of a tinkerer.

That's fine.  Your logs helped, and ngld filled in the gaps.

Also, I double-checked the files that the installer uses... on Linux, the innoextract distributable is a script that launches a binary, but on OSX it's just the binary.  Per ngld's answer to #2, that would mean it probably wouldn't work on OSX in any case.

Here is another build that you can try.  I changed the strategy for launching external applications on non-Windows systems:
http://staff.hard-light.net/goober5000/temp/FreeSpaceOpenInstaller.jar

Yes, several people have reported this.  I consulted with achtung and updated a few of the mirror links.  Try again.

* jr2 wishes for a way to make the Installer use http://gameupdates.org as a  mirror.

That would require integrating BitTorrent into the installer, which is another project by itself.  It's not going to happen in the foreseeable future.

I had some similar problems when testing just now. Interestingly some files seem to download OK when using wget, they just don't work in the installer.

Weird.  Some of the problems are due to mirrors that are down, but others are due to HTTP 403 Forbidden.  I wonder if some ISPs aren't taking kindly to access by the installer.  Try running another test, now that it's been a week and the mirrors have been updated.

I've set up a pretty simple mirror monitor.

Mods with a cross in front of their name can't be installed because all mirrors for one or more files are offline.
If you click on a mod's title it will show you which files are offline. The page is updated every hour.

Well that is pretty cool.  Thanks. :)

Also what is different in the GOG version versus like the GOTY edition that prevents the installer from working with it?  Just curious.

As niffiwan stated, it's merely that the files on the install discs are in a different format.  One would have to write an extractor for the CD file format in order to add that functionality to the installer.  But as chief1983 stated, if you can install FreeSpace 2 on another machine and then copy the files to your gaming machine, that should be sufficient to use the FSO Installer to install the other mods.

Even if I can't use this for now, thanks for all the work you have put in, to create a simple, one stop/step solution to installing the FSO and all the great mods that showed this was a game that was not only ahead of its time when designed, but a game that is a shame no one has picked it back up or even tried to do a kickstarter/greenlight, after all how many more Zombie games do we need, compared to Space Sims (keeping fingers crossed on Star Citizen, but don't want to get my hopes up, just in case it doesn't work out, also the Eve and Elite projects that incorporate the Oculus - promises of VR have been around for a long time so another of those lets see it come to fruition and the support by the developers before jumping in).

But again thanks for time you put in and hopefully the goty edition can use your installer.  If not guess will have to wait till you release 2.2 or 2.3.

You're welcome, and thanks for the kind words. :)

Offline BugMeNot

• I'm a throwaway account. My users may behave unpredictably. Read with caution.
  • One Account, Many Users
Great tool, thanks to everyone who made it happen.

a minor suggestion: uninstall components might be a nice feature, this way if anyone install a component they don't need or like, they can remove it without having to delete and re-install\download everything else, so they don't to park extra GBs of data on their HD.

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
@Goober Some of the mirrors are using Cloudflare which seems to be checking the User-Agent.
If you get a "403 Forbidden" error, try to change the installer's User-Agent to a common user agent. (Firefox 34 on Linux uses "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:34.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/34.0") I had to do the same for my mirror monitor.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
@Goober Some of the mirrors are using Cloudflare which seems to be checking the User-Agent.
If you get a "403 Forbidden" error, try to change the installer's User-Agent to a common user agent. (Firefox 34 on Linux uses "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:34.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/34.0") I had to do the same for my mirror monitor.

Interesting, thanks!  That must explain the weird results niffiwan was getting.