Author Topic: SDn Sariel (WIP)  (Read 15464 times)

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
This is as far as I go along with my making of the SDn Sariel. Here is a link to my file:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/cn0bpe2pl409636/SDn_Sariel_blend.zip

I'm sure that you guys want to feel free to improve on it, but release this model to the public as soon as you've finished.

I am aware of the known bugs, is that there may require some fixing, tweaking, and further modelling/UV-wrapping and texturing. Especially, the baking the Ambient Occlusion at the UV-mapping stage takes a very long time on my current PC, and that's too bad.

A few days ago, I've updated the p3d.

BTW: I've learned how to UV-map the model. As usual, I'm learning the experience from being a modeller.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 12:40:37 am by Bryan See »
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

So I just downloaded this model to have a look at the finished product in Freespace, only to be shocked to find that you haven't actually finished this.
While I'm still not good at modelling myself I'm going to repeat what others have said before in this thread.
YOU need to finish this model YOURSELF and not expect others to pick up the model once you've done the parts you felt like.
At the very very very least you could have released a POF converted version so that we can see what its actually like ingame.

On a positive note what you've shown looks good, maybe some horizontal spikes along the sides couldn't hurt.

I strongly recommend you persist with this model to the end. For both the models sake and your credibility. Last thing you want is a reputation as that guy who half makes models and leaves them for others to finish. 
Too many ideas.....not enough FREDing time!

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova
TBH I'd say it's too late for that. Bryan See has consistently demonstrated he's too lazy to finish his own models, or even bring himself to care about his ideas. He'll get told good criticism constantly, and take all of it the wrong way. He'll make a decent model, and then outright abandon it solely so he can make a godawfully ugly frankenship. He also loves to claim other people's work is his own, a good example of this being the Cain arms incident.

He repeatedly insisted the Cain arms were his own creation, when anyone not too lazy to take a look in PCS2 could tell that he'd just ripped off the Cain's arms and put them on the Auriel or whatever the **** it was called again. Now he's doing it with entire models.

Really, people are far too *nice* to Bryan. He's literally ignored all constructive criticism given to him in favor of just being... Bryan See. I think it's for the best everyone just started ignoring him.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
I think it's not depending on his lazynezz, but rather on problems with understanding rules of the community. For a moment he made a significant progress with this model and turned it into something pretty cool thanks to community feedback. People contributed with constructive criticism and proposals how to improve his design, but than... He just got back to the point he was before.

I'm starting to think about this as somekind of very sophisticated troll or just retardness of the author. I don't want to be warned :P. It's just a little bit too much to consider this as a normal behavior.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova
Personally I'm thinking he's some kind of bizarre troll at this point. Few people would toss out their own work so casually - even people who don't like their own work! Modelling takes effort, you know.

Offline Lorric

Well, he's autistic and not a native English speaker. There's a lot of room for misunderstandings there.

Autism can explain a few things, but he still should be able to learn from the criticisms that the community mention.
Every page in this thread pretty much has the same thing and they get repeated on most of the threads Bryan has started.
Surely the point would have been made.
Too many ideas.....not enough FREDing time!

Offline Lorric

He has learned though. Just not completely.

Offline Lorric

@ BritishShivans

You are blocking me from replying to your PM.

So I'll put it here instead:

It's been four years since my registration. I forgot to drop by and say hello.

Hello, I'm from Malaysia and currently studing computer engineering. I am interested in game development and programming, particularly improving the game I see fit, and making campaigns and mods. I am very well aware of my autism and I can overcome it, no matter what.

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova
oh wait i forgot about that :S

both the blocking and his introduction

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
    • Twitter
I apologize for the abruptly sudden release along with somewhat trollish comments that I finished my model.

When I started the Sariel last May, I originally envisioned her to be a battleship. At the time, it was unnamed, and I was hosted a poll to pick up the best name for this ship. The poll was largely ignored, so I picked up "Sariel" based on the suggestion of a user. Immediately thereafter, I started modelling. However, I encountered a lot of mesh-related problems which I do not have time to fix, especially when the Sariel is based on the up-scaled and double-sided version of the Ravana. More importantly, I found out that this latest iteration of model grow beyond battleship size. As a result I've changed it to a "Dreadnought".

So, I have therefore plan to base my SC Raguel HTL on the final version of the SDn Sariel. Then, I will start modelling, texturing, and then conversion from there. For now, I just have to wait for Betrayal to finish my Raguel.

Aside from that, I still have unfinished models and campaigns in the pipeline. Among the campaigns I'm making is the non-FreeSpace: Reunited campaign that The E told me last February (I think it may be a Blue Planet fan campaign). Lepanto told me I would touch up on his Ammit model before tackling on the Geryon frigate (I think some of the parts may be incorporated into the Sariel).

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Don't wait for me with this. I don't know when I finish the Raguel. I have tons of other more important models for Act I of my project and requests for other projects much more important than Raguel. Pick up some older version of the Sariel [the one without parts of other ships] and go on! Add foreward claws, some more details, unwrap, make it cool and release it :)
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
Well, Betrayal, since you've asked for it: Here's one. It's on p3d, updated twice. It's now based on Rga_Noris' SC Rakshasa HTL, with an extended body with a ventral tooth, which has been my unique design. I wouldn't call it SSJ Gigas Jr., or a smaller version of Inferno's SSJ Gigas, the final version of which is based on the Rakshasa as well :)

It's now the final, final version of the SDn Sariel. Then I can have some fun texturing and converting this final model for game use, provided this process goes very well with no errors being encountered.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Hm looks like a Rakshasa which has eaten a lot and grown up. I like it. But i will se it used as a heavy cruiser or light corvette. sorry, the similarity to the original model is too big to be a destroyer or a battleship.
To me it can stay as it is now :)

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
Okay, I've got my model in game, through the Ship Lab though. The UV-mapping (without the use of smart UV-map) and the texturing (complete with normal and height maps, in Rga_Noris' way) will come later.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template