Author Topic: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)  (Read 239003 times)

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Re: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)
OK, I only noticed now that I posted a link to the DX11 wrapper for Tie Fighter 98 in the wrong topic, for a while I thought the post had been cancelled for whatever reason.  :banghead:

I would like to take this time to point out that basically Warframe is turning into Star Citizen in a good way, which is EXACTLY how Star Citizen should have done its development.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSHu4vaLkms

You make and RELEASE your game, and slowly expand its scope from there if you like.

OK, it's quite telling of the overpromising and lack of focus of the project that people can reliably use online shooters as a reference for what originally was supposed to be a single player space shooter called Squadron 42 (does it even still exist?).
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline MikeRoz

Yes, S42 exists. Backers are treated to an awkwardly in-universe update every month. Looks like the current claim is Q2 2020.

PCGAMER: The secret to Warframe's ship-to-ship space combat is that the ship doesn't actually move

Instead, Digital Extremes is using an ancient rendering technique called 'portal rendering' which works almost exactly like it does in the puzzle game Portal. Essentially, you create a portal or a window that is attached to somewhere else in 3D space, and when you look through it you see from a different perspective. The cockpit of Warframe's spaceship is actually one big portal into an entirely separate map.

"You just connect the player controls to where that portal is," Sinclair said in our interview. "For Empyrean, there's a big 32 kilometer-squared space where all the space combat is happening and you're pitching around and it feels like you might vomit, but [off to the side] there's a little level and that's your actual spaceship. You have a solid, reliable physics system driving what appears to be this six degrees of freedom experience over here [in an entirely separate area]."

I wonder if anyone at CIG feels a bit silly now, or if this was considered and ruled out because it didn't deliver the desired level of "fidelity".

« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 06:05:08 pm by MikeRoz »
Rave reviews of my previous posts:
"Wow.  Just wow.  Well, just about the whole post is devoid of reasonable technical merit and accuracy." -Enki
"Wow, he just wasted about an hour of his life." -MachManX
"There are 5 million things wrong with your post, of which many have already been pointed out..." -blackhole
"Grrr. Someone please monkey mike...He's causing more problems than he's solving" -terran_emperor
"You're not very bright, are you." - General Battuta

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Wasn't this how old school spacesims were usually programmed?
I remember something like this being mentioned relative to the engine Totally Games used for X-wing and the other Star Wars spacesims they made. I even remember that the Unity fan-remake of X-wing is using the same trick or something similar.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Instead, Digital Extremes is using an ancient rendering technique called 'portal rendering' which works almost exactly like it does in the puzzle game Portal. Essentially, you create a portal or a window that is attached to somewhere else in 3D space, and when you look through it you see from a different perspective. The cockpit of Warframe's spaceship is actually one big portal into an entirely separate map.

"You just connect the player controls to where that portal is," Sinclair said in our interview. "For Empyrean, there's a big 32 kilometer-squared space where all the space combat is happening and you're pitching around and it feels like you might vomit, but [off to the side] there's a little level and that's your actual spaceship. You have a solid, reliable physics system driving what appears to be this six degrees of freedom experience over here [in an entirely separate area]."

I wonder if anyone at CIG feels a bit silly now, or if this was considered and ruled out because it didn't deliver the desired level of "fidelity".

I am reasonably sure that every programmer involved in that part of the Star Citizen mess knows that this solution exists, knows that it is relatively easy to implement and highly performant, and has been told by Christ Roberts to not do it that way because "no cheating the physics" was an early mandate.

Let there be light
Let there be moon
Let there be stars and let there be you
Let there be monsters and let there be pain
Let us begin to feel again
--Devin Townsend, Genesis

That’s effectively what they did with the ~local physics grids~. A lot of us were saying at the time that it’s a bog standard game physics technique; except as I recall for Kazan, who was telling everyone within earshot that it was an amazing genius breakthrough in programming, and anyone who said differently wasn’t a programmer being paid lots of money and banging lots of women like him.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.