Author Topic: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)  (Read 587488 times)

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Re: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)
It felt less diverse than WC3.

Which is saying something, the best remains 4 but it's still not quite up to Tie Fighter or Freespace standard.

I actually never liked 4 much, because it was a boring gameplay between all the cutscenes... have to say that this one would had worked much better as a pure Interactive Movie like Star Trek: Borg.
Wing Commander 3 was much better in this prospect, because there the developer at least tried to create some unique missions :nod:.

So i am sceptical for SQ42 in general, because CR is again trying too much of this "interactive movie" stuff...
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline Aesaar

That's because he's not really interested in making games.  He wants to make movies.  Like I posted back in September, he wasn't involved in designing the gameplay/coding side of WC3.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
It felt less diverse than WC3.

Which is saying something, the best remains 4 but it's still not quite up to Tie Fighter or Freespace standard.

I actually never liked 4 much, because it was a boring gameplay between all the cutscenes... have to say that this one would had worked much better as a pure Interactive Movie like Star Trek: Borg.
Wing Commander 3 was much better in this prospect, because there the developer at least tried to create some unique missions :nod:.

So i am sceptical for SQ42 in general, because CR is again trying too much of this "interactive movie" stuff...
I've played them rather recently one after another and WC3 has much less variety than 4, perhaps because there is much more FMV stuff in 4 so people forget the gameplay is actually better but WC3 was a string of endless search and destroy missions. Hell, some of the few variations were a bit half-assed like the one mission where you have to disable ships and instead of giving you a special loadout to disable ships there is a frigging script that considers ships as "disabled" once you have shot them enough times with normal weapons.
4 already had some more variations and more story stuff during missions (still not much mind you).

That's because he's not really interested in making games.  He wants to make movies.  Like I posted back in September, he wasn't involved in designing the gameplay/coding side of WC3.

Nor 4 or Prophecy IIRC but for some reason he kept some of the worst aspects of Prophecy for Starlancer's gameplay.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 11:54:32 am by Det. Bullock »
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

I didn't feel like that. Prophecy at last didn't have the "Two pilots against the galaxy" thing that was a staple of the series since its inception.

I had a very different read as well, especially in Special Ops where the Federation really starts throwing its weight into the Nephilem war. At the time, that mission where you're sent to rescue two Murphy destroyers and a Plunkett cruiser was THE largest space battle I had ever seen simulated to that point. There were legitimately great missions, and your wingmen weren't useless. You were simply fighting overwhelming numbers. 

In Prophecy, the point was that Midway was the first major Confederation response to a new genocidal alien race. The race was to shutdown the wormhole so a proper response could be prepared.

On a lore note, the Wing Commander Armada manual, the last bit of actual canon WC lore, stated the Confederacy/Kilrathi alliance eventually won the war against the bugs, but it was a grinding slaughter fest for most of it.

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
Casual reminder this thread alone was started in July 2015 and we were already making jokes about how long it was taking. But they'll totally be in beta for one part of it by 2020.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Casual reminder that I released Wings of Dawn 1 April 2015 and released Episode 2 today. On a zero dollar budget.

Waiting on that SQ42 release, Mister croberts :V
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Ain't SQ42 the secret abbreviation for Second Quarter '42? I thought they had coded in their release date somehow.

Casual reminder that I released Wings of Dawn 1 April 2015 and released Episode 2 today. On a zero dollar budget.

Not all game developers are as skilled as you. :D

Offline Aesaar

Look if Wings of Dawn doesn't simulate the weight of the main character's breakfast and how it affects the ship flight model, how can you possibly call it a real space sim?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 01:33:57 am by Aesaar »

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.

That's not fair, you are an actually competent developer that doesn't need someone to kick them in the ass to stop adding features and focus on what matters, not some dweeb that really wants to be a movie director but is stuck with making videogames so he can't even focus on what the game is going to be because he is too worried about badly directing mo-capped hollywood stars.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 10:10:58 am by Det. Bullock »
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline CT27

What would you do though if you had the around 200 million $ budget CR has?

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Not all game developers are as skilled as you. :D
Not all game devs are blessed to be working with Axem.

Look if Wings of Dawn doesn't simulate the weight of the main character's breakfast and how it affects the ship flight model, how can you possibly call it a real space sim?
True, true.

That's not fair, you are a actually a competent developer that doesn't need someone to kick them in the ass to stop adding features and focus on what matters, not some dweeb that really wants to be a movie director but is stuck with making videogames so he can't even focus on what the game is going to be because he is too worried about badly directing mo-capped hollywood stars.

Completely crumple under the pressure of having to work with that much money, having to employ a lot of people and be responsible for their livelihood.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Not all game devs are blessed to be working with Axem.

Perhabs they should've used the entire money to find a way to clone Axem for their game development and make the world a better place as a side effect.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Given that they have a bunch of money and probably won't have released anything useable in 20 years time, cloning Axem is actually a viable business model.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Completely crumple under the pressure of having to work with that much money, having to employ a lot of people and be responsible for their livelihood.

I suspect you could find something else to do with that budget besides getting crushed beneath its moral and/or literal weight.

Offline Axem

* checks in on the thread

Is Star Citizen finished yet?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
No, unfortunately.

(For both senses of the term "finished")
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Hello good sir, would you mind giving us a DNA sample & submit to a high definition brain scan ?

Hello good sir, would you mind giving us a DNA sample & submit to a high definition brain scan ?

Dear Mr. Axem,

my name is Chris Roberts and I am a movie director who was born inside the wrong body. That of a game developer. My company is built upon innovative snowball marketing and currently successfully pretends to work on a space sim game. Everything was going fine, however, suddenly multiple persons demanded that I not only feed their imagination, but deliver actual content, what is a serious threat to my business model. I was told that you are actually able to release "quality content", that's why I am asking you for your cooperation in the above mentioned subject. My pool, the luxurious life of my employees and the mental integrity of my victims, er, backers, depends on it. Thank you for your cooperation.

Sincerely,

Croberts

PS. I've heard you've got interesting information regarding a certain "Derek Smart" who wants to destroy my Cloud Imperium. How much do you want for that?

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
So did this "game" just kind of peter out? I know Derek Smart stopped talking about it because he said it was a dead game walking but you'd expect some other news, right? Is it coming out soon?