Poll

Which game is better, Freespace 1 or Freespace 2?

Descent/Conflict: FreeSpace - The Great War
21 (38.2%)
FreeSpace 2
34 (61.8%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Voting closed: October 23, 2002, 11:48:25 am

Author Topic: FS1 or FS2  (Read 57576 times)

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
Originally posted by CP5670
BD and QD: Although I am a fellow SSC guy, I must say that your arguments (if they can even be called that)

I wasn't arguing ;)

Originally posted by karajorma

There is NO BLOODY WAY I can let that statement stand. I can name about 5 OS's off the top of my head that could mulitask before any of Microsoft's pathetic attempts at multitasking came along.
 Windows NT came along only in ~95. UNIX had already split into several different multi-tasking variants. BeOS had been around for a couple of years already and the Amiga had been using a multi-tasking OS for over 10 years.
And if you think that they aren`t proper OS's I suggest you log off right now and stay offline cause the internet wouldn`t even exist if it had been left to MS.

....Nope.... although the other systems were capable of having (or appearing to have) two or more programs running at once, They had problems.
95 was the very first with automated task switching controled by the OS, not by the user, Whilst the others could stand multiple programs being up, it couldn't run them like that, they would go inactive if the user wasn't directly doing something.

95 introduced the 'Process Model' and 'Process Image' system, which would write to vitual devices, certainly, the technology was possible before that point, but no one had implemented the ability for it, programs had to control CPU interrupts themselves, including those on Unix, Gem, and other such systems.

I'm not playing about here, if you want to try me...
Go read a book called "Operating Systems" It was written by two guys, Madnik and someone...I'll find the other author out soonish, that is /THE/ Book to read if you wish to read about OS' because it deals with all, and/or generalised principles, explaining how things were done, and developed.

(The two authors were guys who developed IBM's first major operating system..)

CP, I will welcome your points, however if you want a full answer from me it'd probably have to wait until christmas, I had to analyise FS as a form of new age literature at one point, and then I was asked to expand upon it I did FS2.

Comparing FS1, and FS2 in terms of literature, FS1 would outsell FS2 if it were made filmage or bookage, simply because society doesn't have much lit which keeps you on continual plot twists.

...if you didn't notifce...apart from that stupid horror genre which isn't scary anymore...(...Was it ever...?) nothing does what FS2 does unless it's part of a long running series, period...

Hmm. Something like FS2 would be okay, if they didn't let it become so anti-climatic...
I remember my mates thinking after they blew the ravana "There's more? blah....." ehh, I'll go through and play the whole thing again soon, (preferably after XP Corp arrives....) and I'll dig up my notes from English Lit...

Side note, Kara, Who's on a university course that has to study operating systems? hehe...
I know what I'm talking about :P Even as much as I hate microsoft O.o
« Last Edit: November 13, 2002, 09:39:54 am by 456 »
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
You are of course joking. An OS with proper multitasking doesn`t suffer from mouse and keyboard locks because one of the programs is busy yet this is so frequent with windows even today that it is beyond a joke. This alone is enough to prove that windows multi-tasking is deeply flawed and therefore your definition of it as a REAL multi-tasking OS is also flawed.

I don`t care if the multi-tasking is controlled by the program or OS. What I care about is that microsofts definition of multi-tasking makes apologies for the fact that a single task can lock the entire system.

As for your book I suggest you look into the background of these people before you quote from them. M$ isn`t above hiring people to re-write history to make them look more inovative than they are.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2002, 12:02:55 pm by 340 »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Damn Double post

...You just brought a quote to mind, but I'm not that harsh...

..Seriously, try actually LEARNING a thing or two about Operating Systems before you open your mouth.

For an operating system to be a true Multi-Tasking operating system, it must handle automated task switching, where the CPU will tick over between programs without input from the user.
There are no exceptions.
It's unfortunate that MS did it first, but they did, deal with it.
I'm not going to repeat myself again and again until you understand, Obviously you wont.
It was microsoft, get over it.:rolleyes:
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

Offline Stunaep

• Thread Necrotech.... we bring the dead to life!
Originally posted by QuantumDelta

Wrong, You never get time to assimilate with the ship, you never get to truly play along side it in a fight, wooooo it nukes a corvy, omg... pathetic.
Galatea comes in and saves yer butt plenty of times. Or visa versa, you are really a part of it's defence unit.
Psamtik? It's there, just talking an' shootin debris, really, you meet it once or twice, get put on a couple of missions with it in which you're never really even involved WITH THE SHIP IN MISSION.

The corvette thing was used to introduce the player to the beam weaponry. Man did that look cool. A very impressively created scene, IMHO.
And, HELLO!!! You served aboard the Psamtik for ten missions! THERE WAS THE PSAMTIK MAIN HALL!! Not to mention Admiral Khafre. You saw the Psamtik as much as you saw the Galatea in the main game. So NYAH

3rd fleet HQ? uhhhhhh............nope, just another arcadia, it's like, completely defendable too, give me a couple of squads of my quality pilots 'n' the shivan's will never get near, bring along a couple of drunks (BDHR) or other select pilots and even SJ's wont get near it.

So you're a good player. That's your fault. Some player are less good. It is a challenge to them. And since the less good players number greater than the I-can-beat-FS2-in-insane-with-no-sweat players, :v: has to think of them first.

I took the plot to pieces it looks like the kind of movie no one watchs, or the kind of book no one reads.

Well, how do you explain FS2 being noted everywhere for having an enthralling storyline. Apparently 90 000 people watch that movie.

The music was ok, I'll OCCASIONALLY Listen to FS1 music, never FS2, Period, did the first time, screw the rest, music wasn't the best selling point for the game,

bah, Cinema 2, the Intro music, the Battle 2 music, the Battle 3 music, the Battle 1 music. Let's put it like that. The music was bad is your opinion. Not a fact.

I had my anime

End of discussion for me
"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n
Bah. You're an admin, you've had practice at this spanking business. - Odyssey

Offline Sheepy

• Raises Hell
  • Mac User
Ok can we all stop *****ing and whining now?
Kiss my Fluffy White Ass!

Originally posted by Stunaep

End of discussion for me

Anime?

You know, you should try getting some culture, if you believe Anime is all about the crap that they put on Cartoon Network for little children, you're sorely mistaken, and it's your ignorance for not knowing better.

I'll hand out a fairly long explanation at a later date about the FS2 campaign for people like CP and Shiva, however you sir.
Just need to listen to the wav.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
Originally posted by Stunaep

The corvette thing was used to introduce the player to the beam weaponry. Man did that look cool. A very impressively created scene, IMHO.
And, HELLO!!! You served aboard the Psamtik for ten missions! THERE WAS THE PSAMTIK MAIN HALL!! Not to mention Admiral Khafre. You saw the Psamtik as much as you saw the Galatea in the main game. So NYAH

Yes you're right, we all spend 2 or more hours watching the main hall instead of playing the game

So you're a good player. That's your fault. Some player are less good. It is a challenge to them. And since the less good players number greater than the I-can-beat-FS2-in-insane-with-no-sweat players, :v: has to think of them first.

There are challenging missions, just that one and many of the rest weren't.

Well, how do you explain FS2 being noted everywhere for having an enthralling storyline. Apparently 90 000 people watch that movie.

I'm quite sure FS1 was competing and eventually broke the all_popular Wing Commander at the time

bah, Cinema 2, the Intro music, the Battle 2 music, the Battle 3 music, the Battle 1 music. Let's put it like that. The music was bad is your opinion. Not a fact.

True, that's an opinionated matter...that's why I think that fs1 music was vastly superior towards the biblical fs2 crap...

End of discussion for me

BAM^^^^^^

Offline Solatar

Okay, I know the flamethrowers are under the seats, but while I'm at it, anybody need more Napalm?:D

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
...You just brought a quote to mind, but I'm not that harsh...

..Seriously, try actually LEARNING a thing or two about Operating Systems before you open your mouth.

For an operating system to be a true Multi-Tasking operating system, it must handle automated task switching, where the CPU will tick over between programs without input from the user.
There are no exceptions.
It's unfortunate that MS did it first, but they did, deal with it.
I'm not going to repeat myself again and again until you understand, Obviously you wont.
It was microsoft, get over it.:rolleyes:

Windows is only a multi-tasking operating system by MS's own definitions.
 Unix, AmigaOS, BeOS etc were all using the term multitasking long before windows 95 came along. It's rather arrogant of MS to then rewrite the dictionary and claim that they were the first.

Let me put it this way. What is more important in a car? That it fullfils the dictionary definition of what a car is even if it doesn`t run or that it has four wheels and you can drive it?

Anyone with half a brain can see that certain tasks can lock the system up preventing anything else from running. Hell even my 15 year old Amiga can multi-task better than that. I`ve never seen the mouse pointer slow down or stop on it because another task was running. I`ve never seen mp3 playback stutter or crawl cause I brought another program to the front.

In the definition of what multi-tasking was BEFORE MS re-wrote the book there are plenty of OS's that can multi-task better than windows can now, that were written long before MS came onto the scene.

....Jesus, maybe you really should click the link (Anime?) too.

Multi-tasking is not true multi-tasking unless it can be done simultaneously (without user input, and from the user perspective), those OS you list CANNOT Do that, Their programs had to do it for them, which is NOT a multi-tasking operating system, MS did NOT re-write the dictionary, it was a system that UNIX and GEM were trying to perfect, MS just beat it too them with the 'program interrupt' line, which would tell the CPU to switch between programs for a few CPU-Seconds or MicroSeconds, You REALLY Need to go learn what you're talking about. The Other systems, although they were capable of having multiple tasks loaded, did not have the ability to RUN multiple tasks, the others would sit dormant while the main program was in focus. WHAT? Do I have to spell it out for you?
Your analogy is assed up too, "Automobiles" would be a better one, True Multi-tasking could be Articulated lorries, the others which would carry over multiple programs but not run them without user control would be People Carriers. Yeah, they both got wheels, yeah they both got  engines, but there's a big ass difference.

I study this at degree level, and stupid ignorant fool who just doesn't like MS comes in and thinks they're a freaking expert, she talks like s/he wrote GEM or UNIX. Take a hint, you went out of your league challenging me on a field I KNOW BY FACT that I'm Right.
Christ.

Go look it up...Jesus wept.
"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do." - Issaac Asimov.
"It's amazing how everytime you open your mouth you prove you're an idiot" - Akira Tokayama.

Offline Solatar

Would you babies stop *****ing about operating systems? It is quite annoying for mister know-it-all QuantumDelta to be sitting here starting flame wars, while hijacking this thread, flaming everybody in sight, and still not saying a thing about fs2 or fs1 in their posts.

So in short.
SHUT THE HELL UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh, and Quantum, you're not the only one, I just pointed you out because you seemed to be the one keeping this fight going, almost everyone else has tried to stop it.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
That's kinda true, you kids can take the OS debate to the IM's, this ain't the thread for it anyway :wink:

Sparky with the link needs to cool down too :p

What the thread is really about is that FS1 is way better than FS2 and that's what we should be focusing on :D

I dun really care, FS vs FS2 is always going to be a matter of oppinion, I've started flying through the main campaign of FS2 again, 21 missions down a few command briefs and a video, taking notes again...
Like I said I'll work on that one :P

....The OS Stuff, That's Factual...
....Stupidity is one of the few things which /REALLY/ Annoys me, Especially when people contest something that I know is one hundred percent true because I just freaking covered it in university, some half cocked-moron who thinks they're been computing all their lives comes along and tells me it's wrong, eventually I'm going to start getting a bit pissed off because it's like trying to hit pintacks into solid rock with a sledge hammer....

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
95 introduced the 'Process Model' and 'Process Image' system, which would write to vitual devices, certainly, the technology was possible before that point, but no one had implemented the ability for it, programs had to control CPU interrupts themselves, including those on Unix, Gem, and other such systems.

Even MS think you`re talking crap. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/winhistorydesktop.mspx They say NT was the first multi-tasking OS not 95.

Edit. oh well looks like everyone else is bored of OS stuff. I`ll leave it here

Offline Solatar

stop the ****ing OS talk. You are acting like inmature assholes that can't even think. I know people in my sister's fifth grade class that are better behaved than this

EDIT: Thank you Karajorma, just saw your edit. You're not an idiot:D Now, let's continue arguing about fs2 vs. fs1.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
Originally posted by Hades
stop the ****ing OS talk. You are acting like inmature assholes that can't even think. I know people in my sister's fifth grade class that are better behaved than this

While that part was very mature, wasn't it? :p

This is gonna be the fs1 vs fs2 locked thread #3456230475203945783

Wow, s/he actually got something right, congratz.
Suprised you actually went to look it up, I wasn't sure if it was NT3 or 95, so I just guessed because I knew 95 had it incorperated, it was the logical choice considering if NT didn't have it it woulda looked even dumber ;p
I woulda add some more stuff about that....but Hades will probably blow a gasget, even if it's not in a flaming nature ;) lol

Offline Solatar

Could somebody lock this thread, it has blown its purpose way out of proportion. We've had enough of these.