Author Topic: A celebration of Freespace  (Read 2668111 times)

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Re: A celebration of FreeSpace
No, but there'll be a clear spot where the sun should go.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
WITH GREAT NORMAL MAPS AND SKYBOXYNESS AND FIRING OF LAZORS I HUMBLY PRESENT TO THEE

ASTEROIDS

Now, obviously a skybox would be preferable to a bunch of background bitmaps- in fact, with the background and the rocks I probably have >100 bitmaps in that mission. However, I dunno how to generate a skybox based on the background bitmaps in a mission. There's still some tweaking still to do to get them to blend in with the ingame 'roids (lighting for one thing :nervous:), but these will be passable for the time being.

At least I now feel like I'm in a large asteroid belt instead of some little patch where moving rocks are inexplicably gathered together by some as yet unknown phenomenon known as "gameplay".

[EDIT] one of the asteroid bmps (the half-lit one) has been updated to look less stupid.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 03:52:25 am by Shivan Hunter »

Offline Kolgena

Nice!

I bet it would be frustrating for designers to get lighting to be consistent for the bitmaps... not to mention that users here have a myriad of different light flag values.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Blue Planet: War in Heaven Part 1 Developer's Commentary is now up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI1Wmq1RFG0&p=319DA3374E2CBE03&index=1

Features:
* the voices of some of the BP team;
* video footage from QuantumDelta's computer;
* the older, less dramatic cutscenes;
* five asterisks in this post; and
* some white text.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 01:56:44 pm by Androgeos Exeunt »
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Agrajag

Is this where I say hi?  Hi!  Just wanted to say thanks to the people who did this project, it is awesome, and it must have taken a lot of work.  Just finished fs 1, and began silent threat reborn.  I never actually played any of these games before, they are awesome.  Except for the wingmen who insist upon shooting, then crashing into cap ships that are in the way of asteroids that they want to kill  :lol: 

and is it just me, or is silent threat a really hard campaign?  I gave up, and now I just cheat and use flak cannons or super lasers or whatever to kill stuff :)

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
Thanks, now for the 100,000 dollar question. How do you get the view point right in the Apollo? I apologize for asking for tech help in this thread but the only threads I've found on the subject are from 2007 and they weren't quite clear.

Just grab the file I put in the Freespace Port Conversion Discussion thread.

Thank you so much, I've been trying to put this together for three days. Thing is Rapidshare is telling me the file has already been downloaded 10 times and can't be downloaded any more.

Try this one.

this one's down too, got anything else?
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Solatar

WITH GREAT NORMAL MAPS AND SKYBOXYNESS AND FIRING OF LAZORS I HUMBLY PRESENT TO THEE

ASTEROIDS

*snip*

Excellent work with that.  It looks like the effect that the FSPort tried to achieve in its latest release, but a lot more natural.  Absolutely gorgeous in fact; the first one is my new wallpaper.  The lighting and everything is awesome.  Any chance you could release the bitmaps and background info?  :D

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
Sure. In fact I'll release a test mission as well, sometime today or tomorrow. Glad you like them.

They look "natural" probably because I used the actual FS asteroids as source. I literally just took a screenshot of FS rocks against a light background, with all the light coming from behind them. Anything that was totally black was asteroid. After that I added lighting using my limited knowledge of Gimp. :P

Offline Solatar

Sorry I left the FPS on the first image.  Here are a few shots I took recently in the first few missions of Freespace 2.  I wanted to show off the explosions, the lighting, and the new beam effects.

It's a bit too blurry for my tastes; but here's a few Myrmidons flying through an explosion

Two NTF Hercules fighters launch missiles as soon as they exit subspace.

The Belisarius gets nailed.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
It's a bit too blurry for my tastes; but here's a few Myrmidons flying through an explosion a blazing inferno of ****ing awesome.
*Snip*
Just an explosion? The universe is on fire! :P

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Me likes the new fireball as well :yes:
el hombre vicio...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Me likes the new fireball as well :yes:

Yeah I'm glad Nighteyes managed to preserve their awesomeness without devouring BMPMAN.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Time for some "WTF?! Screenshots" from Shadow Genesis :]. WIP Screenshots from the new system in SG - Phi Minoi, and the refreshed Spica.

Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Loving the backgrounds and the Mass Effect 2 style sun.

I think we have a Narayana/Tethis with fixed smoothing somewhere that we can get you.

Theres only one word that can possibly describe describe these pictures.....................awsome
All vista problems can be corrected, by upgrading to XP

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Loving the backgrounds and the Mass Effect 2 style sun.

I think we have a Narayana/Tethis with fixed smoothing somewhere that we can get you.
That would be great :), current Narayana/Tethis has a few lightning errors. That would be helpfull.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
Nice Mass Effect 2 ripoff.

I approve.

If I move towards the sun, will I see the Illusive Man?

Offline T-LoW

• Planet Earth is blue and theres nothing left to do
    • German Freespace-Galaxy
Is that sun animated in ME2-style? :nervous:
The german Freespace-Galaxy

"There was a time before we were born. If someone asks this is where I'll be."

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Nice Mass Effect 2 ripoff.

I approve.

If I move towards the sun, will I see the Illusive Man?
Heh, no :P .
Is that sun animated in ME2-style? :nervous:
Unfortunately... Not. I'm not 2D animator, so it's only simple bitmap.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Heh ... even the Pyrgos looks nice in those screenshots. :nod::yes:
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?